Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it's movement then I'm unaware of it. i know different FOV changes the speed of the movement and that is f'd up but i've never felt movement lag

Comment

It's almost certainly both, but mouse movement is the obvious one. In theory it's possible one is more affected than the other, by lag, by inaccuracy or both.

Comment

My mouse is a 500Hz mouse. I've heard 1000Hz over USB 3.0 (xHCI) can be an issue, mainly with mice, not with keyboards.

Comment

Irrelevant.
          The way the engine works causes there to be significant and obvious input lag even under (near) optimal conditions. Under those circumstances it alone will already add ~30ms on top of whatever baseline of lag is caused by the hardware like mouse, screen etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolid View Post
            Irrelevant.
            The way the engine works causes there to be significant and obvious input lag even under (near) optimal conditions. Under those circumstances it alone will already add ~30ms on top of whatever baseline of lag is caused by the hardware like mouse, screen etc.
            Oh, so you're one of the engine developers?

Comment

No, I'm just familiar with it.

Comment

i might have some input on the input delay issue :P

Hardware: Intel i5 2500k @4GHz / 8GB DDR3 / EVGA GTX 970 / ASUS VG248QE @144Hz
                Drivers: Geforce v375.63 / Realtek ALC892 v6.0.1.6167 HD Audio
                Input: Corsair Strafe @1000Hz(w. updated CUE) / Zowie EC-1A @1000Hz+400dpi (both in USB3.0)
                Game: 1080p, windowed fullscreen, 100fps cap, no vsync, no smoothing, 111fov, 3.0 sens w. no accel, high settings, r.finishcurrentframe=1, r. oneframethreadlag=0
                Windows 10 6/11 no enhanced precision

DxDiag.zip

I just switched from a Steelseries Sensei RAW mouse to a Zowie EC-1A and noticed a drastic reduction in the input delay in UT4.
                Estimated input delay (looking around, shooting the sniper rifle) with Sensei RAW: ~150ms (a noticeable pause)
                Estimated input delay (same activity, panning view & clicking) with EC-1A: ~50ms (almost instantaneous)
                Drastic and extremely noticeable improvement in the delay time. Let me know what else I can do to help.
                I didn't have any trouble with input delay using the Sensei RAW in any other games I play including CSGO, DOOM, Reflex, QL, Toxikk (not sure about Squad, only played like 10hrs)
                Last edited by burawura; 10-25-2016, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Very peculiar.

That said, I don't think any significant percentage of people that has issues with the mouse feel has been having anywhere near that kind of input lag. I know many that tried it with a different mouse and other changes in hardware without any big changes in feel.
                  Someone who does happen to have that mouse should definitely try to see if they can reproduce this though.

Comment

Originally posted by burawura View Post
                    Hardware: Intel i5 2500k @4GHz / 8GB DDR3 / EVGA GTX 970 / ASUS VG248QE @144Hz
                    Drivers: Geforce v375.63 / Realtek ALC892 v6.0.1.6167 HD Audio
                    Input: Corsair Strafe @1000Hz(w. updated CUE) / Zowie EC-1A @1000Hz+400dpi (both in USB3.0)
                    Game: 1080p, windowed fullscreen, 100fps cap, no vsync, no smoothing, 111fov, 3.0 sens w. no accel, high settings, r.finishcurrentframe=1, r. oneframethreadlag=0
                    Windows 10 6/11 no enhanced precision

[ATTACH]31725[/ATTACH]

I just switched from a Steelseries Sensei RAW mouse to a Zowie EC-1A and noticed a drastic reduction in the input delay in UT4.
                    Estimated input delay (looking around, shooting the sniper rifle) with Sensei RAW: ~150ms (a noticeable pause)
                    Estimated input delay (same activity, panning view & clicking) with EC-1A: ~50ms (almost instantaneous)
                    Drastic and extremely noticeable improvement in the delay time. Let me know what else I can do to help.
                    I didn't have any trouble with input delay using the Sensei RAW in any other games I play including CSGO, DOOM, Reflex, QL, Toxikk (not sure about Squad, only played like 10hrs)
                    You should try running the game in true fullscreen rather than windowed fullscreen, pretty sure you have forced V-Sync if you use any kind of windowed mode.

Comment

Found this really good video testing vsync compared to gsync with mouse input lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8bFWk61KWA
                      PayBack

Comment

how can i help giving u guys valuable information? i see some pc set-up posts but i cant imagine u can work with smt like that. i deffo am able to ask a whole lot of players what to do as long as we have a simple go-through
                        Visit our website unreal-battles.net
                        Join the
                        European UT4 community on Facebook @ www.ut4.eu/fb-group-page/ and webchat + games @ click here

Comment

I have a feeling there is a very slight input delay on when you press fire and when the weapon actually fires.

Playing with sniper (hitscan) i noticed that im on target (like bulls eye) i fire and you miss...

I then started tracking/tracing my shots, like id fire but keep on holding crosshair over target for another second after i pressed fire and there was a 100% improvement.
                          Join the community Facebook page
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by Stolid View Post
                            In the short term I'm personally most interested in the forward renderer that is being developed as it should give higher fps and lower input lag. Even though it is being developed for VR I hope the UT team puts some resources towards supporting it and soon making it possible to enable in UT as well.
                            I'm currently working on my own FPS, but I'm using Unreal as a base. The input lag was bugging me coming from quake3 style games. I am testing forward rendering right now, and it might improve things. If the UT4 code/assets are available for modding it would be trivial to enable forward rendering and test it. Would need someone to host the server but that's about it. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Dashiva View Post
                              I'm currently working on my own FPS, but I'm using Unreal as a base. The input lag was bugging me coming from quake3 style games. I am testing forward rendering right now, and it might improve things. If the UT4 code/assets are available for modding it would be trivial to enable forward rendering and test it. Would need someone to host the server but that's about it. Let me know if anyone is interested.
                              Is hosting of the server really necessary? I feel the input lag even in offline games, so it might be enough for you to modify UT's code and run it locally. I'm quite interested in this - how hard would it be for you to modify the code? If you could distribute the modified files somehow I'd of course be happy to test it.

Comment

Originally posted by frustzwerg View Post
                                Is hosting of the server really necessary? I feel the input lag even in offline games, so it might be enough for you to modify UT's code and run it locally. I'm quite interested in this - how hard would it be for you to modify the code? If you could distribute the modified files somehow I'd of course be happy to test it.
                                I need the server because ideally people should test how they feel using the new renderer and come to their own conclusions. Although there *seems* to be a reduction in input lag when I change the ShooterGame example game that comes with UE over the forward rendering, it could be placebo effect. While my aim and tracking are pretty good, I'm not as good as some people I know, and it might be good for who are really sensitive to input lag to weigh in on it. I can tell a difference between UE4 based games and Q3 based games, definitely. I also work in CryEngine for fun, and its input lag is even more perceptible than UE4. But again, it could be placebo effect on my part.

However, getting UT4 to work is probably less than trivial. What I didn't realize when I wrote the first post is that UT4 is built on UE 4.12. The forward renderer is only stable in 4.14+. So, this would necessitate trying to migrate the project to the new version of the engine. I'm not a C++ coder (merely a hobbyist doing this for fun) so whether or not the project would migrate or not is beyond me at the moment. I can take a crack at it. I highly suspect the UT4 team have done some engine level modifications that will need to be merged with the 4.14 source, which is something that is beyond my skills.

As far as changing any UE project over to the forward renderer when it's migrated, that is the trivial part. You merely need to open the project, open project settings, and check the forward rendering box. The editor just restarts and recompiles shaders. You'd then have a to cook the game.

A way to test if there are any obvious improvements in the base UE4 code would be just to package the ShooterGame example and have people play it and see if there's a difference. However, that's not UT4, and there might be a lot of input tweaks happening that I'm not aware of (or completely different methods for controlling the character).

Comment

Working...
                                X