This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spacelike View Post
    It still feels like the engine is trying to do some sort of smoothing.
    It's really obvious if I try to move my mouse back and forth as fast as possible in this game, it actually feels smoother than if I play another game in which I even get higher FPS. In other games the mouse is less smooth and much more "crisp" feeling.
    I noticed this as well. I always test input lag by moving the mouse back and forth really fast, but in this game it either has smoothing or abysmal input lag. Feels like both.
    UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Also experiencing a lot of input lag both movement and clicking. And some meshed maps surge in general speed (not fps) at a rate of 2-3Hz constantly. For eg. running you can see your run speed surging and also in mouse movement.

Running Win 7 x64 with FX hotfix patches.
      FX 8320 @ 4.11
      GTX 980 classified running stock 1417 core and 7010 ram driver version 382.05
      16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
      Samsung syncmaster 20" at 60Hz
      Entire system passive water cooling, temps hover from 10ºc to max of about 45ºC after synthetic simultaneous GPU and CPU stress tests for about an hour. So no temp problems.

Game settings are
      All setting epic
      Res 1600x900
      Frame cap 3000fps
      No frame smoothing
      90 FOV
      No skip buffering
      Screen % 80
      No AA
      No vsync

FPS is almost always at 150FPS in no meshed maps for multi, up to 300fps max in single player but mins are still not much less that 100fps, meshed car vary, from 30-70 normally.
      GPU and CPU usage are actually quite low as well, typically the GPU never peaks over 60% and normally sits at 40%, CPU peaks at 85% on one core while the rest sit around 25-50%, averaging to about 60% total.

But this lag is killing me, I am very sensitized to it as I only really play games like UT2004, Red Faction (1st one) and UT99 which are all very fast paced shooter games especially RF and UT4 in comparison is unplayable.

Comment

Ok I just noticed a fairly big problem here that should hopefully be reproducible by Epic.

In-game just do a slow 180 and see how far the mouse moves. Then try it again moving your mouse the same distance but as fast as possible.
        The difference in camera position is horrendous. This test doesn't even require any precise measurements at all because you can see it as plain as day, when moving fast the camera only makes it about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way around.
        I have a Deathadder Chroma mouse with all acceleration completely disabled.

Comment

Confirmed! I got the exact same thing. I set up to blocks as stop points on my table and slid the mouse back and forth and the direction of fast movement always resulted in less distance panned on the screen. Mine wasn't as bad as yours but I missed a good 20º of pan from an approximate 270 pan. I tried the speeds in the reverse and sure enough the same but in the reverse direction. Also if I repeated it over and over the overall position of my character would drift in the direction of the slower mouse movement.

So it seems the faster you move the less the game acknowledges the input. I wonder if the click lag is tied to the mouse speed as well?

Comment

I've tested that often before and just tested it again now. It is pixel perfect for me.
            The only thing I notice is input lag.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolid View Post
              I've tested that often before and just tested it again now. It is pixel perfect for me.
              The only thing I notice is input lag.
              I think it might be framerate dependent. I just tried setting my framerate cap all the way down to 30 and then if you do the test I mentioned 3 posts up it is even more obvious. If I raise my framerate, or go to an area of a map where I get really high framerate then it's not as noticeable.
              It shouldn't be that way. Regardless of fps the screen rotation should still perfectly reflect how far the mouse moves.

Comment

Just tried that again just now, same thing. Back when you could limit to any fps I even did it with 1 fps and it was still pixel perfect.
                Accuracy isn't the problem.

Comment

I think it might be framerate dependent. I just tried setting my framerate cap all the way down to 30 and then if you do the test I mentioned 3 posts up it is even more obvious. If I raise my framerate, or go to an area of a map where I get really high framerate then it's not as noticeable.
                  It shouldn't be that way. Regardless of fps the screen rotation should still perfectly reflect how far the mouse moves.
                  Mine does it regardless of the frame rate. there def is an issue. It could be a bug that's hardware dependent?

Whats the specs of your PC?

Comment

Stolid How far are you moving your mouse? Perhaps distance is a factor.

I use a low sensitivity (less than 1 in this game) and have a 2ft mouse pad and I've been moving my mouse at least a foot while testing. For reference, just now I tried increasing my sensitivity up to 2 and just doing 180's I don't notice the issue nearly as much, or at all. The camera goes back more or less to its initial position even if I flick the mouse really fast. But regardless of sensitivity if I move the mouse around 1ft or more very quickly and then slowly return it to its initial position I can see that the camera is noticeably off from where it started.
                    So maybe people who play with higher sensitivity and don't move the mouse as far never end up noticing this issue.

@Sk. Vlad
                    The mouse is Deathadder Chroma. I'm not sure what other hardware would play a factor, but I have a GTX 760, an i7 920 CPU, and 8gb of ram.

Comment

I also have an nvidia card, 980GTX but the rest of the system is totally different, AMD CPU and chip set and mouse is a corsair sabre. So unlikely hardware has much to do with it then.

I also have my mouse sensitivity relatively low compared to most gamers. I set it on the mouse itself not in the game. I have like 6 built in presets and I run on the 2nd slowest.

Comment

Stolid How far are you moving your mouse? Perhaps distance is a factor.

I use a low sensitivity (less than 1 in this game) and have a 2ft mouse pad and I've been moving my mouse at least a foot while testing. For reference, just now I tried increasing my sensitivity up to 2 and just doing 180's I don't notice the issue nearly as much, or at all. The camera goes back more or less to its initial position even if I flick the mouse really fast. But regardless of sensitivity if I move the mouse around 1ft or more very quickly and then slowly return it to its initial position I can see that the camera is noticeably off from where it started.
                        So maybe people who play with higher sensitivity and don't move the mouse as far never end up noticing this issue.
                        I'm also moving over a foot while testing.
                        TBH, this sounds like a negative acceleration issue on your mouse. You can't move the mouse as fast when doing it short distances so negative acceleration doesn't kick in. When you move the mouse a large distance you can really throw it and reach a high speed.
                        It can't be related to distance alone, the game doesn't know how far you've moved your mouse in real life.

I'm fairly certain this would show up in the exact same way in other games using the same test. You can try games that are known to handle the mouse input fine: Quake Live, CS:GO or Reflex all with raw input enabled.

Comment

Oh wow, you're completely right, I just tried it in another game and got the same result. I've done these kinds of tests before though and never experienced anything like this so I guess I just assumed it was the games fault (it's like the opposite of mouse acceleration, so maybe some deceleration as you said, or maybe even my mouse just getting old)
                          Or it might have something to do with the fact that I recently reinstalled my OS and haven't played anything except UT.
                          I guess I just need to figure out what's causing this on my end then.

Really sorry for hijacking this thread for so long. I hope I didn't interfere with any other investigation going on.

Comment

I just tested in a couple other games I play and do well in, I got the complete opposite result. It seems to behave like it has positive acceleration in all other games but negative in UT4. How strange. There is no setting for the mouse to even do this and even NA or turned off in the other games I tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Sk. Vlad View Post
                              I just tested in a couple other games I play and do well in, I got the complete opposite result. It seems to behave like it has positive acceleration in all other games but negative in UT4. How strange. There is no setting for the mouse to even do this and even NA or turned off in the other games I tested.
                              Probably resolution error. Try it on a smooth, flat surface. http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-mouse-myths-busted/
                              UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Originally posted by Calypto View Post
                                Probably resolution error. Try it on a smooth, flat surface. http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-mouse-myths-busted/
                                I tested all games over a couple of times. Only happens in UT4. In fact to get UT to act like the other games I had to set an acceleration to min values and enabled where it is not enabled in the other games.

Interestingly even with acceleration now enabled the input still lags a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X