This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Just wanted to report back after building a new PC.
    On my new machine the mouse input is absolutely perfect and crisp as can be. There's no feeling of any delay.

So this definitely confirms to me that it wasn't just my imagination. The difference is night and day.
    And it also seems to imply it might be a hardware or driver issue.

Both machines were running GNU/Linux.
    The old one had an NVidia GTX 760 and tested with both open source and proprietary drivers.
    The new machine uses a Radeon RX 480 with open source drivers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's an engine-level issue. It happens across all UE4 games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well one observation I can make, which I can be fairly certain of has no placebo effect, about how mouse input is handled in this game vs. others, is when the game stutters it drops all mouse events.
    In this game if there is some small stutter (maybe after just loading a new map for example) and it happens right as I move my mouse, the end result is as if I didn't move my mouse at all. In other games even if it freezes for several seconds it still seems to put the screen where it should be when the stutter is over, as if it still properly captures and at least internally still tracks all mouse events that occur during the freeze.

There's no question about it that this is happening for me. It can't just be all in my head, because one way or the other, if I move my mouse all the way across my mousepad and I'm still facing forward, there is something different about how this game handles mouse events. That just doesn't happens in most other FPS games. Ever. regardless of how much stuttering they have.

I've noticed this since the beginning but never reported it here because I'm not sure if it's necessarily related to the main issue at hand or if it's something else entirely.
    But the more I think about it, it's a pretty big red flag regardless. It means there's definitely at least some situations where mouse input events are being dropped rather than processed.
    Last edited by ison111; 03-23-2018, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I somewhat fixed the input lag by disabling threaded optimization in the nvidia control panel, however the input still feels strange compared to UT2004, like there's some kind of smoothing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well if you play a high ping server you'll see its not client based. all weapons fire delayed. I get half a sec in Europe servers and about 1/3 sec in US servers delay. I have to fire in advance to play these servers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    From what I can tell, this game is using client-based netcode. If it weren't, you would have to manually compensate for ping like in the previous games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Calypto View Post
    Yes, I actually caught it on video accidentally. I think this is something else, more like firing lag? I don't hold the mouse button down when using the shock rifle.
    https://youtu.be/TU-kfTfTGh8?t=35
    Set the speed to .25 (gear icon).
    I get that sometimes when a server really lags, but what I am talking about is it hits the player but no damage is given.

I have also seen the effects of what is actually missing but then results in a kill as well. I get that with rockets and flak, sometimes I fire a close call to another player and miss and split sec later they gib in another location to where I fired and missed initially. Its like I hit a hitbox mid air accidentally independent to their body.

Why can't this game just be client based hitbox like the old games where back in the day? they worked all the way to extremes of 700 ping, 300 and below were more than playable. With cient based all you do is shoot at players and the only effect lag has is how long before they drop dead, not how you aim or how much ammo you need to lay into them. You just aim and shoot and thats it. Only down side is if its a show down of 2 players and the shoot each other the same time in actual real life time then the fastest ping gets the kill as the data reaches the server first. If its say a rocket launcher then both players will still get the kill, only a minor issue with projectile type weapons in extreme lag delta, like 300 vs someone with 30 ping.

Here is a great example of proper client based hitbox in action. With well over 150 pin seen in the video, note how some of the direct hits end with a delayed death rather than not counting as a hit at all.

It ***** me how none of the UT series used this method, admittingly its not as bad in UT99 as it is in UT4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6-sMfOLCg

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yep! exactly what I noticed too. I do well in small maps with lots of passages where players are confined to forward/back movements, as soon as its a side movement the hits don't count. Especially rockets, flak and even the enforcer is useless until they stop or move away/towards. So big maps with lots of freedom of movement I suck and can't get many kills despite good aim and visually lots of hits.

I have an idea to test this out, by hosting my own server and seeing if my death to hit ratio improves, it should drastically.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Sk. Vlad View Post
    Anyone notice issues with what seem to be hit boxes out of sync from this update possibly? or perhaps from prior just now noticeable since input lag is virtually gone.
    I've noticed it while using the link gun.
    I've been thinking for quite a while now that the hitboxes get a little out of sync when the target is doing a dodge, slide, or when in mid-air using jumpboots, so it's interesting to see someone else comment on this too.

A few times I've been able to track the movement quite well using the link gun when a player is in the middle of a slide or in mid-air after using jump boots (tracking a slide is actually quite easy and it lasts long enough that you can clearly see your mouse over their player model) but it's hitting nothing but air until the dodge/slide/jump-boots finishes then the hits start registering again.
    Last edited by ison111; 07-09-2017, 06:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Anyone notice issues with what seem to be hit boxes out of sync from this update possibly?
    I know this isn't on this subject but since we are talking about the new update I am wondering if anyone else had experienced these issues?
    Yes, I actually caught it on video accidentally. I think this is something else, more like firing lag? I don't hold the mouse button down when using the shock rifle.
    https://youtu.be/TU-kfTfTGh8?t=35
    Set the speed to .25 (gear icon).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by spacelike View Post
    The issue seems to be almost completely gone for me as well.

I did notice a few times when the game would "hiccup"/"stutter" while loading something that it wouldn't completely pick up all the mouse movement, so the camera would still be facing close to the same direction when it was before. If I recall correctly other games with good mouse input will still manage to update the mouse correctly even after such stutters.

Just mentioning it for the record, but other than that I really can't notice any issues at all. It seems to feel exactly as I'd expect now.
    Very good update.
    Yeah I have always had that initial stumble after loading a map, goes away after 5-10 sec. its just loading up all the textures and what not to ram etc... I always see it do it when the textures load up and increase is res over a number of sec.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Anyone notice issues with what seem to be hit boxes out of sync from this update possibly? or perhaps from prior just now noticeable since input lag is virtually gone.

I seem to get a lot of instances where projectiles just go through players when in online mode, otherwise its perfect in bot match offline. I get it a lot with flak and rockets, it either goes through or does no damage. I even killed a few players spontaneously without shooting or sometimes the wrong player dies when I shoot at someone else within say 5-10m nearby. Its bloody weird. Its much worse the more players in a map, yet there is no lag I can see and no one else seem to be getting it as bad as I am.

Another weird thing was I tried rebooting my PC just in case as I couldn't get a kill on the scoreboard and was going into the negatives for some weird issues with rockets killing me. Anyway after rejoining the server I was still negatives at the same number. Never seen that before.

I know this isn't on this subject but since we are talking about the new update I am wondering if anyone else had experienced these issues?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You have to untick the enable for it to not use it. I also found it still did even zeroed out. But that said I didn't bother playing around with it after the last update since that virtually completely eliminated any input lag I was experiencing. I only get a tiny bit in the really graphics heavy maps but I am only running 50-70fps in those and that's **** performance on any level but still way way less lag in order magnitudes better than what I was getting in comparison to the WIP maps prior to the update . That's now much its improved for me.

In 90% of maps I get 0 perceivable lag now. It was exactly as I suspected, a problem with the game engine, now its fixed and I'm happy as Larry.
    Even offline at 300 FPS there is still some kid of smoothing/input lag and I was curious if accel might still be on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The issue seems to be almost completely gone for me as well.

I did notice a few times when the game would "hiccup"/"stutter" while loading something that it wouldn't completely pick up all the mouse movement, so the camera would still be facing close to the same direction when it was before. If I recall correctly other games with good mouse input will still manage to update the mouse correctly even after such stutters.

Just mentioning it for the record, but other than that I really can't notice any issues at all. It seems to feel exactly as I'd expect now.
    Very good update.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You have to untick the enable for it to not use it. I also found it still did even zeroed out. But that said I didn't bother playing around with it after the last update since that virtually completely eliminated any input lag I was experiencing. I only get a tiny bit in the really graphics heavy maps but I am only running 50-70fps in those and that's **** performance on any level but still way way less lag in order magnitudes better than what I was getting in comparison to the WIP maps prior to the update . That's now much its improved for me.

In 90% of maps I get 0 perceivable lag now. It was exactly as I suspected, a problem with the game engine, now its fixed and I'm happy as Larry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X