Testing Network Prediction System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Testing Network Prediction System

We have a new prediction system for reducing apparent lag when playing Unreal Tournament on the internet. It's not yet enabled by default, but it is ready for public testing, and I'm very interested in feedback and bug reports. To enable the prediction system, type Predict 160 at the console. To disable it, type Predict 0. When enabled, any connection with ping less than 160 msec should have almost no apparent lag. It still won't be perfect, and I'm looking for reports on artifacts or bugs you see with it enabled that you don't see with it disabled. Note that even higher ping connections will see a benefit. A 300 msec ping connection, for example, would have an apparent latency of 140 msec with the prediction system enabled.

A couple of things I noticed with it on. This is with anywhere between an 80-300ms ping.

The translocator seems to sparkle.

Movement gets pretty jittery and my acceleration drops out from time to time. For example, I will be jumping a gap then lose all of my momentum and drop down in the gap.

It seems like you can't see your own shots most of the time. This seems to be exacerbated by higher ping times from my experience. When I played with a 300 ping, I could not see my own sniper/shock shots at all.

These were all noticeably absent with predict 0. Maybe I will stream later while playing to see if I catch some of them happening on video, too.

Also, as an observation I still feel like the prediction is failing to do much for me. I still feel like with an 80ms ping that I have to lead with predict 160 enabled. However, I don't have any empirical evidence to support this and maybe a video would clear it up. I think that part of it is not being able to see my own shots and see where the game thinks I shot.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

hitscan (any beam weapon) is currently visualized as zero lag even all the way to 500ms (predict 160 used in console), however the shot registration of the hitscan shot its-self does not match the visualization.

Shock balls seem to periodically disappear for the client, but are still there on the server resulting in being killed by a ghost combo at times, unknown what causes this, could be a result of slight latency fluctuations

Translocator is currently strange with prediction turned on, this occurs at about 30ms onwards at the moment (turn sound on and listen when you fire the puck)

Translocator teleport activation (secondary fire) is currently still delayed server-side making it feel very, very weird at high speeds.

There is still a significant amount of shots being connected to players that don't register at 35ms & 45ms (2 servers) for me at the moment, but this is currently chalked up to being week 2.
      Last edited by raxxy; 10-21-2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Translocator should be fixed in next build (I checked in a fix today).

Movement jitter - your own movement should not be affected at all by the new prediction system. Are you sure this issue is specific to having prediction turned on? I did fix some issues with client movement replication/replay this week which should help with this issue, but not in a prediction system specific way.

I'll look into translocator teleport activation delay soon, and look into projectiles disappearing some more (I did fix one potential issue earlier).

Comment

Like raxxy said core's go invisible but can still be comboed also you see them splash against the walls so their still there just invisible, also sometimes you load up 3 rockets and fire but you only see 1 but see all 3's splash damage on impact. the player as in yourself will vibrate back forward at times for 1-2 seconds. you cant see your own sniper trail or where the shot hit . you see the sniper trail when using the enforcer.

That being said ive been playing on USA servers where ping is 200-250 and it feels great, ive made people cry hax, been accused of using every cheat under the sun etc before predict it was unplayable in same servers now im winning 20-30 frags + on full servers massive improvement. excellent work!!!!
          Join the community Facebook page
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Shock cores disappear quite often for me, but the projectile that disappears 100% of the time for me when using prediction is the shield from the impact hammer. While a less important one it may be an easier one to debug with.

Comment

ah, I forgot to list one more thing:

Lifts still execute server-side making lift-jumping inconsistent unless you only ever play at a specific latency and adjust to it over time, I expect things like doors, movers, things like that (non-combat play with things that kill you if you make a movement mistake) will also probably need to have this system applied to them somehow, including shooting a button to open a door, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
                Movement jitter - your own movement should not be affected at all by the new prediction system. Are you sure this issue is specific to having prediction turned on? I did fix some issues with client movement replication/replay this week which should help with this issue, but not in a prediction system specific way.
                I will test it some more but there was a noticeable difference in movement jitter with prediction off versus on (it was also there last build but it's significantly worse this build).
                Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                Lifts still execute server-side making lift-jumping inconsistent unless you only ever play at a specific latency and adjust to it over time, I expect things like doors, movers, things like that (non-combat play with things that kill you if you make a movement mistake) will also probably need to have this system applied to them somehow, including shooting a button to open a door, etc.
                Ah, yes, please! In fact, one thing I have noticed is that you can accidentally activate lifts without stepping on them, I presume because the prediction code thinks you will step on it. This was again obvious in high ping games. I'll try to get a video of it.
                BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Well I have to say it works pretty well for an early set up. Some things I noticed:
                  -Elevators are still laggy. Make 'em smooth like in UT99 NewNet please
                  -Portals seem to have delay on teleport
                  -As someone above mentioned, tracers and fake projectiles still seem instant even when experiencing pings above 160, which is misleading (Edit: not sure about this anymore, just played on a 280 ping server and there they seem to be delayed. Is the prediction limit not actually 160? Because I swear, on a 240 ping server everything was instant and I didn't really have to lead my shots, although they seemed a bit inconsistent compared to low ping)
                  -It seems the movement teleporting of your own character is mostly gone in this build, it happened once in a while but I think that was when I bumped into another player
                  -Projectiles sometimes disappear and they lag a bit when you first fire them - which makes combos a bit hard to do with higher pings. Is there a way to make them completely smooth?
                  -Somehow people don't teleport when strafing even with prediction, I guess the acceleration/deceleration values are low enough. However they sometimes do randomly teleport but not consistently, and even when walking straight. Also when another person crouches sometimes it looks like they are floating above the ground.
                  -Sniper tracer doesn't show up
                  -Bio primary spawns projectile in the wrong place most of the time and has to be corrected, not sure if this is possible to fix? It's probably because of random seed..
                  -Charged bio secondary looks like a single shot in high ping situations
                  -You can kill yourself with a Shock combo on flat ground - offline or without prediction you can only do it if you jump off a ledge, but due to client side hit detection on combos when using prediction with high enough ping you can blow up a secondary that's close enough to damage you.
                  Last edited by Barktooth; 10-21-2014, 11:08 PM.

Comment

It works pretty well besides what was already mentioned (I get the same issues). It helps alot when your shots actually come out of your weapon when you want them. It's only that the predict system makes projectiles rubberband or something, especially primary of bio rifle. them sludge balls seem to "teleport" alot when you shoot them but they hit where they are supposed to. I tried that on a 298 ping server using predict 160

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
                    -Bio primary spawns projectile in the wrong place most of the time and has to be corrected, not sure if this is possible to fix? It's probably because of random seed..
                    I think it's only the same thing as with shock rifle. The shockball rubberbands so you can actually hit it closer than intended because primary is insta hit

Comment

Weapon to movement related things:

Shock rifle alt fire ball does not impart movement until it actually registers on the server, so if you jump -> shockball, the actions are delayed clientside

Impact primary fire (tap no charge) seems/feels to be unreliable with jumping, this could possibly be due to the very short trigger distance compared to what is used in older games (this can be resolved with a keybind to jump and release, but this is something to avoid due to new players, 160ms predict, 200ms server)

Rocketlauncher is delayed based on serverside shot, expect this will be the same for pretty much every projectile at this stage

Comment

I hopefully fixed all cases of projectiles being invisible. I made teleporting client-side, both with the translocator and with the teleporter. Sniper tracer now shows up.

Comment

Very great work on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
                            I hopefully fixed all cases of projectiles being invisible. I made teleporting client-side, both with the translocator and with the teleporter. Sniper tracer now shows up.
                            Nice, thanks! I'm anxious to try with updates.

Comment

So far so good Steve, it truly feels pretty awesome and not "fake" compared to other zp/ut2004 enhanced netcode system.. I actually don't whine at my country internet connection so much anymore. Only issue I've been is disappearing projectiles, but since I saw that you already fixed the majority it.. Awesome work!

Comment

Working...
                              X