X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muli-monitor setup issues - Menus and Fov

Hi there!

Summary:
    There are some issues with menus and with field of view when using multiple monitors.

Version:
    Not sure, it says "Network version 3008010" top right corner. Downloaded from Launcher 2014-10-24.

Description for FOV and Menu issues on multiple monitor setup:

Lets start with FOV which is locked at 120. Using that for a 3 monitor setup is like using FOV 80 on a single monitor. (a.k.a. running with sniper scope)
    On UT2004 (still a great game btw) I have set FOV to 150 for 3 monitors, to get something equivalent to 110 on a single monitor.
    Would love to see a solution to this fov issue.
    Perhaps one solution could be to unlock FOV or set the lock value >=150?
    Another solution could be to calculate/compensate for different aspect ratios?

Second issue with multi monitor setup are menus. The main menu and in-game menu span over 3 monitors and are not centered. See attached images.

[Title menu]

[Ingame]

Extra note:
    I would really appreciate to see UI and HUD development taking consideration to different resolutions and aspect ratios.
    To assume "everything 16:9" is effectively disregarding everyone else.... I believe.
    Also once you go muti, you don't go back... to single monitor.

Steps to Repro:
    1. Buy 2 more monitors
    2. Connect and setup surround / eyefinity to span over 3 monitors horizontally
    3. Run UTdev

Thanks for reading
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HappyPie_PewPew; 02-29-2016, 08:00 AM.

Just chiming in to say 4:3 aspect ratios seem to work fine, so the game isn't "assuming everything is 16:9". However multi monitor setups and 21:9 monitors are becoming popular, so this is definitely a must!

Comment

I'd like to able to use my new EVGA GTX 980 G-SYNC GPU and 3 x BenQ XL2420G monitors and try this game out. How would I fix the settings to make all three monitors work with nVidia Surround (5760 x 1080)? Thank you...
      Last edited by PunkNugget; 11-03-2014, 11:35 PM.

Comment

2 steps, it's kinda straightforward.
        1) In your nvidia control panel, set up and activate nvidia surround with desired resolutions (I don't use bevel correction)
        2) In UT settings choose the desired resolution, you might need to restart UT.

If you still have problems let me know where.

Comment

Originally posted by =F.F.M=ForeverHappy View Post
          1) In your nvidia control panel, set up and activate nvidia surround with desired resolutions (I don't use bevel correction)

Well, first off the game doesn't want to install and I need help with that first. Can you please help me with that like a guide to install it? Sorry for asking such a stupid question but I've found very little on how to install this game... Thanks...

Comment

Well start by downloading the launcher
            https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...526#post118526
            If you get any problems with the launcher that thread might have the answers, if not post about it there.
            I can help you if you get to have problems with nvidia settings

Comment

Well start by downloading the launcher
              https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...526#post118526
              If you get any problems with the launcher that thread might have the answers, if not post about it there.
              I can help you if you get to have problems with nvidia settings
              I will do that and get back to you soon hopefully for the help I need to get widescreen surround working. I really hope it works for my EVGA's 980 GTX as I'm not having any real success with UT2004 and UT3…

Comment

Well, it seems that the game works just fine, the only thing is when I set it to 5760x1080 it works, but it's just like UT2004 & UT3; it's where everything's enlarged to the point where you can't really see anything in front of you. It's like you're using a magnifying glass. I also can't see my weapon. Again, it's too magnified. Is there a way that I can adjust the perspective to pull the lens back (if you will), so things are more in perspective, so it looks like your screenshot of what you see? I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust something in one of the .ini files to get this to work? Let me know what you can, thanks…

PS - I agree with you. "Once you go triple-wide, you can't set it aside !!!" or "Once you play wide-screen, anything else is just obscene !!!" (I coined those terms now - LOL !!!)
                Last edited by PunkNugget; 11-06-2014, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PunkNugget View Post
                  PS - I agree with you. "Once you go triple-wide, you can't set it aside !!!" or "Once you play wide-screen, anything else is just obscene !!!" (I coined those terms now - LOL !!!)
                  Good one! ...two I mean

Nice to see that it is starting to work for you. What you need to do next is to change FOV, which is capped at max 120 regardless of screen resolution or aspect ratio.

But first I want to mention about GUI problems. Previously in UT2004 for multi monitor setup you had to also scale all the GUI to 1/3 in the ini files to get at least scoreboard (F1), chat and system messages, weapon bar, health and shield info and fps/net statistics into the center screen only, instead of getting things stretched to 3 screens (Like UT4 is now). Had to hack everywhere in ini files for UT2004 to work but the Scoreboard text got almost unreadable though. Still play UT2004 several times a week, great game.
                  UT3 just plain out has a bad FOV for multi-montor, don't remember exactly but it somehow clamps strangely in Y axis so I don't play UT3 at all just because of this. Sad actually.
                  I hope that UT4 doesn't get to have these problems.

So about fixing what we can today with your FOV. There is a workaround "hack" but thing is the moment I will post about it... it will... well... probably get removed

Step 1) While having UT closed, open Game.ini file
                  Code:
                   %homepath%\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Game.ini
                  Step 2) Edit FOV value to desired number in the following key.
                  Code:
                  [/Script/UnrealTournament.UTPlayerController]
                  ConfigDefaultFOV=150.000000
                  Step 3) Start UT and enjoy!

Think that UT4 "FOV cap limiter" is based on ingame SET function and not GET. This means that as long as you don't change FOV ingame your FOV can stay to that value you set externally in the ini-file.

To UTdevs
                  Please don't cap FOV for us multi monitor users. This is a really important issue for us! This FOV limit alone kept me away from UT3, which is really sad.

Comment

Good one! ...two I mean

Nice to see that it is starting to work for you. What you need to do next is to change FOV, which is capped at max 120 regardless of screen resolution or aspect ratio.

But first I want to mention about GUI problems. Previously in UT2004 for multi monitor setup you had to also scale all the GUI to 1/3 in the ini files to get at least scoreboard (F1), chat and system messages, weapon bar, health and shield info and fps/net statistics into the center screen only, instead of getting things stretched to 3 screens (Like UT4 is now). Had to hack everywhere in ini files for UT2004 to work but the Scoreboard text got almost unreadable though. Still play UT2004 several times a week, great game.
                    UT3 just plain out has a bad FOV for multi-montor, don't remember exactly but it somehow clamps strangely in Y axis so I don't play UT3 at all just because of this. Sad actually.
                    I hope that UT4 doesn't get to have these problems.

So about fixing what we can today with your FOV. There is a workaround "hack" but thing is the moment I will post about it... it will... well... probably get removed

Code:
                    Code:
                    Step 3) Start UT and enjoy!

Think that UT4 "FOV cap limiter" is based on ingame SET function and not GET. This means that as long as you don't change FOV ingame your FOV can stay to that value you set externally in the ini-file.

To UTdevs
                    Please don't cap FOV for us multi monitor users. This is a really important issue for us! This FOV limit alone kept me away from UT3, which is really sad.
                    First I want to thank you for doing this (really). Second about UT3 I actually found a fix for this here:

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic...4098&start=860

But before you do anything, I want you to read fully page 87 & 88 (of the above link that I provided). The FlawlessWidescreen app worked for me perfectly for UT3, but since his site/server went down (about 5 days ago), problems have arose as result. I totally regret uninstalling this app and reinstalling (all because of the launching logo icon didn't appear as it did before on my desktop) and I thought something was wrong with the app. Come to find out later there was nothing wrong, but because I uninstalled it and reinstalled the FW app whatever file that was available on his server/site is now NOT installing as a result of his site being down. But on Page 88 someone said that they had no problems installing and getting everything to work, so you might want to try installing the app (that someone provided on page 87). I have the 64bit/X86 version that I can give you and see if you have any luck with it and maybe you can further and help me as well with UT3 to get it working again.

By the way I'm sure you're a part of that WSGF.org community anyway and might know the FW app I'm talking about. I hope Hayden is okay (as he is the developer of this app) and has worked on so many games.

Lastly, I also very much love UT2004 and if you could help me with that after UT4 that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help…

PS - I'm going to PM you my contact info just in case they decide to take this post down which I honestly doubt; as they need guys like you showing us the way to better gaming...

PPS - There is ANOTHER site (www.widescreenfixer.org) that has another app developer that created his own version as well. The app is available for UT3, but it didn't work for me, it might for you. I've emailed him twice already and he's not responded in the last 5 days...
                    Last edited by PunkNugget; 11-06-2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Sure, thanks! Sent you a PM. Let me know how your UT4 turns out.

Comment

Code:
                        Code:
                        Okay, about first step; what number should I should I start with the FOV; because I'm clueless in this area? About the second step; where is this /Script/UnrealTournament.UTPlayerController file located? Can't find it… Thanks. BTW, I just PM'd you.
                        Last edited by PunkNugget; 11-07-2014, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Maybe I was a bit unclear in my steps. Let me elaborate them a bit.

Step 1 is a path to where game.ini file is. This is the file you should open and edit. Just copy and paste "%homepath%\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Game.ini" in explorer or in Run menu to open this file.
                          "%homepath% = is usually C:\User\[yourUserNameInWindows]
                          so basically....
                          "%homepath%\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Game.ini"
                          is the same as....
                          C:\User\[yourUserNameInWindows]\Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Game.ini"

Step 2 is about where and what to edit in this Game.ini file.
                          This "[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTPlayerController]" is not a path, it's called "Section". Think of it as a group, a group to organize several keys.
                          The "ConfigDefaultFOV=150.000000" is called a "Key". Keys are similar to variables where the left part of the equal sign in the key is the keys name and right side of the equal sign in the key is the keys value. (Name=Value)
                          Basically a Section is used as a group that contain keys and keys are made up by a name on the left side and a value on the right side and in between those an equal sign.

Code:
                          [mySectionGroup]
                          myKeyName=keyValue
                          anotherKeyName=someValue

[secondSection]
                          someName=someValue
                          yetAnotherName=andItsValue
                          So you first search for the section "[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTPlayerController]" in Game.ini
                          Then in that section you look for the Key with the name "ConfigDefaultFOV" and change this keys value to 150 (or whatever FOV you want.)

Here is a link describing INI files: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INI_file
                          Good thing to read because UT has alot of ini based configurations and it is easy to understand.
                          Last edited by HappyPie_PewPew; 11-07-2014, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks. BTW, I had no problem finding the .ini file, just the other "file" that I now understand is NOT a file but rather a section. Also, I needed your TeamSpeak IP address. Just PM it to me and I'll get on now…

Comment

Okay, I just went into that Game.ini file, opened the .ini file with Notepad and this ALL of what I found:

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTWorldSettings]
                              MaxImpactEffectVisibleLifetime=60.000004
                              MaxImpactEffectInvisibleLifetime=120.000008

There is NOTHING else in that Game.ini file except this 3 line script. So since it's not in there, do I change anything here?

I also went back into this folder: CleanSourceConfigs/Games.ini and opened it with Notepad and finally found this script:

RewardAnnouncerPath=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Blueprints/RewardAnnouncerMale.RewardAnnouncerMale_C
                              StatusAnnouncerPath=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Blueprints/StatusAnnouncerMale.StatusAnnouncerMale_C
                              DesiredPredictionPing=160.0
                              PredictionFudgeFactor=30.0

But I don't think that makes any sense changing anything here either. Let me know what you can. thanks...

__________________________________________________

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. I just took:

and I copy/pasted into the game.ini file underneath the original text and skipped a line, so now the complete Game.ini file looks like this:

RewardAnnouncerPath=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Blueprints/RewardAnnouncerMale.RewardAnnouncerMale_C
                              StatusAnnouncerPath=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Blueprints/StatusAnnouncerMale.StatusAnnouncerMale_C
                              DesiredPredictionPing=160.0
                              PredictionFudgeFactor=30.0

and I started the game and it works just fine now. Even though it might have been available for you in your game.ini file, it wasn't the case for me, so I figured I'd code it in there and it worked. Sometimes you gotta take chances and see what happens. Thanks for the input; ...

STILL going to need your help on UT2004 though - A WHOLE LOTTA HELP, so post what you can in this reply, so we can frag a few tonight maybe, thanks...
                              Last edited by PunkNugget; 11-07-2014, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X