Epic Games Launcher & Multiple User Accounts [Mac]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Games Launcher & Multiple User Accounts [Mac]

I suspect this is the wrong forum, but I didn't see one just for the Epic Games Launcher, but...

My dad, my brother and I each have our own User accounts on our family iMac

My dad downloaded the Epic Game Launcher a month or two ago and got it all setup and running and was playing UT just fine.

Tonight i decided to setup my account. I logged into the computer using my user account, ran Epic Games Launcher, logged in and then clicked the Unreal Tournament tab. I figured since he was already playing it'd just let me start it up, but had the big INSTALL button. Clicked it and got:

So it defaults to the Shared user which is good, but it doesn't look like it properly recognizes the game is there. That folder, if it helps:

Are multiple user accounts sharing the same app binaries via the /Users/Shared folder supported?

Thanks
    Attached Files

I have same problem with fortnite

Comment

It looks like a problem of rights. I'd guess it's due the fact installation for a reason or another isn't done with admin rights and so active user rights are used, in that case it would be your dad's but it could be also something else.
      So the game sees folder and subfolders but not files or it can't read them.
      As a solution, I would ensure that all users have effectively read/write access on these files and folders then try again. Note that you could simply add yourself to the list of people having read/write access to them but it would only work for you and you would have to do it later for your brother.

Comment

Same problem here; son installs, but I am admin. I cannot launch the game without this INSTALL issue. I have added myself to the read/write permissions and applied it recursively. Its the exact same logic as our shared BattleNet installl.
        Why won't this work? I'm not installing another 50GB for fortnite and UT...

Comment

This is from the Epic Games troubleshooting site: "This is a known issue with the Launcher that is reported in our bug database (OPP-1601). For now, the root admin user will need to download any engine updates or content from the Launcher. You should still be able to use the engine on other accounts, however. If you navigate to the installed version of the engine and go to Engine > Binaries > Mac, you can run the UE4Editor.app to open that version of the editor. Hope that helps!"

Comment

Any changes about this "Known Issue" from February, have the same issue now with my son on mine Mac. By the way, both accounts (mine and my sons) don't have admin rights, and Fortnite is installed into the standard shared folder.

Comment

Together with my son we installed Fortnite on mine Mac (MacBook Pro, Retina 13, Beginning 2015) but with the account of my son. The problem is the same as described above. I was not able to start fortnite from my account though all the data was saved in the "Shared" folder and should be available for all users. Now it's running also in / with my acount after doing some strange things:
              - Adding of my account with READ&WRITE access to the folders "EPIC GAMES" and its subfolders;
              - Adding of my account with READ&WRITE access to the folders "UNREAL ENGINE" and its subfolders;
              - Copying of folder "EPIC" out of my son's LIBRARY / APPLICATION SUPPORT -folder to my LIBRARY folder in path ~ / LIBRARY / APPLICATION SUPPORT;
              Reaching the LIBRARY is possible by pressing the button "ALT" (Option Key) and clicking the "GO TO" menu in the finder;
              I hope this workaround helps to fix your problems.
              At the moment I am checking this option to verify it with some other settings and to get a more detailed overview.

Comment

I have this issue too.
                Any workaround on this?

Comment

My fortunate keeps saying starting update

Comment

Fixed it!

Here's how. 2 parts.

Warning
                    If you have games other than Fortnite installed through the Epic Launcher, things might break. You might need to copy only some of the folders from Application Support. Be careful in case you overwrite saves from other games!

Part 1 - fix permissions on Shared binaries
                    1. Install Fortnite via Epic Launcher on one player's macos account.
                    2. Go to /Users/Shared/ in Finder
                    3. Right click on Epic Games folder and select Get Info
                    4. Change permission for Everyone to Read & Write
                    5. Click padlock at bottom right and authenticate as a user with Admin rights
                    6. Click the drop down next to the cog and select Apply to enclosed items.
                    I haven't checked this yet, but it should allow any user to do updates in future. I'll update if I find this isn't the case.

Part 2 - allow launch from each users Epic Launcher
                    1. While logged into the first user account, go to ~/Library/Application Support in finder
                    2. Locate the Epic Folder - right click it and select Copy "Epic"
                    3. Go to /Users/Shared and create a new folder called Temp - go into it
                    4. Paste the Epic folder in here
                    5. Log out of this account (makes sure Epic Launcher is closed
                    6. Log in as one of the other users and start Epic Launcher - note that Fortnite still requires Installation - exit Epic Launcher
                    7. Open Finder windows for both /Users/Shared/Temp and ~/Library/Application Support
                    8. Copy the Epic folder from /Users/Shared/Temp
                    9. Paste it into ~/Library/Application Support - any time it asks you to Replace or Merge, select Replace

Now when you start Epic Launcher from this user account, you no longer need to Install Fortnite - you can Launch it and it will work fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X