Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT4 Stuttering Issues (w/ video)

Hey all.
    I thought Linux support was not going to happen properly until beta/release but some people have posted it running quite well on their systems. It's not playable on mine. Got rid of a lot of issues by unplugging my second screen. Its the stuttering that makes in unplayable.

My system has a GTX 980 and I'm running Linux Deepin.

The video runs through my process. The question is, 'can I do anything to make it playable?'. Either way, this video should be of interest to some of you.
    - The Linux client links point to different places, the lower one being outdated (?)
    - Its unclear if Shipping or Test should be used
    - What's up with the tan border?
    - My mouse was way too sensitive. Oops.
    - Graphics optoins (pre emptive, in case you ask)

Many thanks,

- Xolotl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ex...ature=youtu.be
    My YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCwgUntYtTroGvBCz3eSZBSQ

Hello fellow UT4 on GNU+Linux tester! :-)
    I don't experience stuttering, but I'm happy to see I'm not the only one with the tan border. Why is it even there?? It's so strange, haha.
    I don't know what you mean by the GNU+Linux client points to different places, the lower one being outdated. I can find only one in this post: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...Playable-Build
    There is another link refering to community maps, do you mean that one?
    It's clear shipping should be used, there is a sticky thread for it in this subforum :-)
    Maybe try everything on lowest settings (except screen percentage, that just makes everything look horrible and doesn't even improve fps by a lot :P ) and see if you still get stutters. If you're willing to play on all low settings :-) I am though since my computer can't keep up anyway.
    Regards

Comment

Hey Xolotl,

When running the game use "./UE4-Linux-Shipping UnrealTournament -OpenGL" and let me know if that helps in anyway.

Comment

For me,
        Code:
        -OpenGL
        doesn't change anything, only
        Code:
        -opengl4
        . The strange border still remains though

Comment

Originally posted by Xolotl View Post
          - What's up with the tan border?
          It's irritating, but I'd guess it probably has something to do with a post-processing; vignette maybe?

Comment

I thought the border was an option (somewhere) which was used to increase performance by reducing the number of pixels being rendered on screen.

It also looks to me like something in the background is eating up your hard drive usage or that you're very low on memory.

I very rarely use linux, but in Windows I'd be running the performance monitor whilst playing to determine what it is. Maybe there is an equivalent application.
            Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Originally posted by Smurgl View Post
              I thought the border was an option (somewhere) which was used to increase performance by reducing the number of pixels being rendered on screen.

It also looks to me like something in the background is eating up your hard drive usage or that you're very low on memory.

I very rarely use linux, but in Windows I'd be running the performance monitor whilst playing to determine what it is. Maybe there is an equivalent application.
              I can't get rid of the border by changing any post processing options If you can find the option, I'd be very grateful to hear where it is :-)
              Yeah of cuorse, there is an app called task manager for gnu+linux or an alternative is system monitor (probably already installed if you use gnome)

Comment

I thought the border was an option (somewhere) which was used to increase performance by reducing the number of pixels being rendered on screen
                I think you could in the last version; I vaguely recall managing to disable it myself, but I have no idea where that option is now :/

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalQR View Post
                  I think you could in the last version; I vaguely recall managing to disable it myself, but I have no idea where that option is now :/
                  Yeah there are two more posts from before the latest patch and they seemed to have eliminated the border by setting post processing to mid. But that doesn't seem to work anymore in the newer version. It's strange this border shows up at all, even if it were a missing texture, why would that make a border appear? Why is it there at all? Seems we'll have to accept it until the next patch :\

Comment

I forgot to search for it, but does something like pressing CTRL and PLUS/MINUS do anything? I think it used to work that way on Doom and I did accidentally make it appear once a while back.
                    Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

I forgot to search for it, but does something like pressing CTRL and PLUS/MINUS do anything? I think it used to work that way on Doom and I did accidentally make it appear once a while back.
                      That doesn't seem to do anything in my case. Is that supposed to be a shortcut for something? Anyway thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by unrealshade View Post
                        even if it were a missing texture, why would that make a border appear? Why is it there at all?
                        I'd bet it's probably just the default texture for either UE or UT and it's probably just missing in the Linux build. Does anyone know if the happens for OSX as well?

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalQR View Post
                          I'd bet it's probably just the default texture for either UE or UT and it's probably just missing in the Linux build. Does anyone know if the happens for OSX as well?
                          Yeah, happens for Mac too. Official bug report: [UT-4490] LINUX: MAC: Border appears around the screen when playing matches - Unreal Tournament
                          Why would a missing texture make something go away though? And why would a border appear if it's missing?

Comment

Originally posted by unrealshade View Post
                            Why would a missing texture make something go away though? And why would a border appear if it's missing?
                            It's probably from a shader trying to do something like vignette or something like it (vignette adds a black oval that gets more transparent closer to the centre), which would explain why it's faded only around the edges.

It's quite common practice to default to a specific asset, if another is missing e.g. the infamous Source Error http://i.imgur.com/Ceoqvu1.jpg
                            Which would explain why it looks like something has been added when in reality something you probably wouldn't notices too much is actually just missing and been replaced by something you most certainly notice.

This is all guessing, but that's what I think it might be :P

Comment

Ok I think I got it :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X