No announcement yet.

Mouse Tracking Feels Bad (iMac)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm now installing it onto my MacBook to see if it plays any different.
    Win 10
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

I just installed and tried in on my Mac book. Same mouse problem as the iMac. Apart from my MacBook can't handle the graphics as well.
      Win 10
      3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
      32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:
      DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
      2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Would installing windows onto a mac solve the problem? I could do this as long as I can find a win 7 64 bit iSO. My CD is both win 32 and 64 so the iSO won't work. *Sigh*
        Win 10
        3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
        32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

Originally posted by effects69 View Post
          Hey marksatt.

Did you say there was a Mac update in the latest build? If so I don't notice any difference. The engine still isn't picking up the mouse movement very well. Still sluggish and unresponsive when moving the mouse up and down. I'm gonna keep messing with the in game settings to see if anything helps.

Thanks again for all your help! It's VERY much appreciated!
          The work is in UE4 & will be part of the 4.8 release, so it is not in UT yet AFAIK. You won't see any improvement in the short term.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks for getting back to me.
            Win 10
            3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
            32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

UPDATE:

I installed Windows 7 on my iMac and it runs the game perfectly! Really smooth and perfect aiming.
              Win 10
              3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
              32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

Yes, tried it too on Windows and as much as I love Epic for porting this to OS X, the game experience on Windows is just something else.

I can play UT on Windows everything set to EPIC in 1440p (but need to down screen quality to 80%) at a constant 60fps with VSYNC on on the textured map, while the game barely runs at 30fps on OS X with the same settings.
                Not only this but the mouse on Windows isn't broken (but this should be fixed on OS X soon from what I read).

Still for sure, if the performances on OS X don't evolve, i'll probably play this on Windows anyway, because if performances don't improve, for sure only people with Mac Pros will be able to enjoy it maxed at 60fps since they can put the best GPU out there. I can see my iMac has mobility GPU (780M) and it s surely not the best for gaming, but it's surely one of the best mac for gaming (outside of Mac Pros).

So Epic, I hope you can find some OpenGL workarounds to improve performances, sadly i don't expect much considering most games on OS X are a lot slower than Windows and it's nothing new. I see that Valve is working on a new API to replace OGL, maybe that's the answer ?

Also I wonder if NVIDIA drivers on OS X are that good compared to Windows. At least NVIDIA do provide new OS X drivers on their site contrary to ATI

Comment

There will be changes to the Mac mouse handling in the future - the work has already been done on UE4 Main - however Mac mouse handling will never be exactly the same as Windows as OS X treats things VERY differently.

Originally posted by alkar View Post
                  Still for sure, if the performances on OS X don't evolve <snip> .... </snip>
                  I am aware of the performance comparisons that have been noted on this forum and will be trying to find the time to take a deeper look. That hasn't happened yet.
                  There are some changes coming that can be used to help reduce the in-game stuttering on all platforms and OS X benefits the most, but this isn't a simple fix & requires substantial preparation work to get the biggest gains.
                  Ultimately we should end up being limited by OS X's OpenGL implementation that lacks a number of Direct3D 11/Shader Model 5 features that not only improve UT's appearance but also its performance, but I'm not sure just how close we can get (as I haven't profiled & there are too many variables to guess).

Originally posted by alkar View Post
                  At least NVIDIA do provide new OS X drivers on their site contrary to ATI
                  These drivers only work on the old (2012 & earlier) Mac Pros. Driver distribution on OS X is solely controlled by Apple in all other circumstances.
                  We've got contact with AMD & Nvidia for Mac driver bugs & performance issues, so don't think AMD don't care about Mac - they absolutely do.

Comment

The mouse support is so bad that I can't even get to the settings menu to change the default (terrible) resolution, and trying to move around in the game is like trying to drive a dump truck in wet cement. EDIT - Actually, I can't do much of anything. The mouse position on screen seems to have NOTHING to do with where the launcher thinks the mouse is. Menu items highlight when I am well to the right and below them. I click on the top Training square and end up on a page where I can't click on ANYTHING to make it work. Can't access the settings menu at all. Something in this is deeply broken. Don't bother to do a Mac version if you can't even provide basic functionality - it's an insult.
                    Last edited by forgeflow; 08-25-2015, 12:30 AM. Reason: additional rage.

Comment

Try to put your screen windowed instead of fullscreen, that fixed some mouse problems with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnoldski View Post
                        Try to put your screen windowed instead of fullscreen, that fixed some mouse problems with me.
                        How do I do that if I can't reach the settings...

Comment

To put your screen in windowed mode:
                          1. Launch the client through the launcher.
                          2. Select the top menu and press the "~" key to open the console.
                          3. Type "setres 1280x720w" and select enter.

The fix for the mouse input will be merged into the next public release. It just missed the cut for this build.

Thanks,
                          WhiteGumby
                          Last edited by WhiteGumby; 08-25-2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X