Clear All

UT EDITOR 4.7.0 - SHARE disabled / not working

Hi,
    is this a MAC issue?
    My SHARE button when clicked just says "Coming Soon"

Other people posting here have this working. See picture of my editor

any answers please?
    Attached Files

I'm not sure why people like to make Double-posts, all this means is people have to look through twice as much superfluous information.

• this post is much better than your first report, since you have now stated your on MAC, this will help greatly when you get feedback
    • i can confirm the share works for UT editor (i used it 5 times, have no idea what it does) using Windows, so i assume this is a MAC only issue

I understand a re-intsall might be annoying, but you could probably try a clean install faster than you will get an answer, its worth considering.

P.S
    Feel free to copy/ paste a note padd version of your map.
    I can compile it on PC for you if that helps
    Last edited by TKBS; 06-08-2015, 12:54 PM.
    Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
      I'm not sure why people like to make Double-posts, all this means is people have to look through twice as much superfluous information.

• this post is much better than your first report, since you have now stated your on MAC, this will help greatly when you get feedback
      • i can confirm the share works for UT editor (i used it 5 times, have no idea what it does) using Windows, so i assume this is a MAC only issue

I understand a re-intsall might be annoying, but you could probably try a clean install faster than you will get an answer, its worth considering.

P.S
      Feel free to copy/ paste a note padd version of your map.
      I can compile it on PC for you if that helps

done the complete re-install already (which resulted in nothing different for ut editor 4.7.0 but resulted in the engine editor 4.8.0 having now absolutely zero content lol

i reposted because there is almost no discussion on this forum and i'm getting really frustrated at how difficult it is to even get started with this whole thing as a beginner.

Comment

Originally posted by darkskyabove
        This has been explained to you, repeatedly. You cannot use Unreal Engine (UE) 4.8.0 to create content for Unreal Tournament (UT). In fact, UE 4.8 is not even an "official" release, yet. It's a preview build. The latest "official" build of UE is 4.7.6. UT has its own customized version of the engine. Yes, it's still called UE4Editor, but stop letting the name fool you.

Patience, grasshopper. Unreal Engine is, arguably, the most advanced game development software on the planet. Of course it's difficult to learn, but it is designed to be easy to use. Sounds like you've jumped right in to the "easy to use" part, and skipped over the "difficult to learn" part.

First problem is using an Apple. You've probably become accustomed to things "just working." Thing is, Unreal is not an Apple project, and the support will always lag behind Windows support (just as it will for Linux).

Second problem is expecting other people to solve all your problems for you, and getting cranky when that doesn't happen. The "I don't know what I'm doing, but I want to do it now" **** might end up getting you even less help.

As far as I can tell, you've got two options:

1) Learn how to manage the software you wish to run.

2) Wait for the "official" release of UE 4.8 and the corresponding migration of UT to UE 4.8, and see if that solves anything.

Thanks for responding darkskyabove, yes i am aware NOW (since 5 or 6 days ago when someone finally made it clear) you can only use ut editor to make ut game maps. That is the editor i am using. Another guy in another discussion told me to post this issue here btw.

sorry but i haven't "jumped right in to the "easy to use" part, and skipped over the "difficult to learn" part" imo.

Here's my first map, i've never made a game map before, or used 3d s/w or anything like that. The map is fine, it works & structurally/gameplay-wise it's a decent map. I am happy with this and i am happy to then learn about adding greater map detail as i continue learning more.

i made this map by watching one video tutorial (rauchberg's tut' on youtube where he makes a simple room with a pit in the floor)... this tutorial clearly shows the principal of subtractive bsp's. So using subtractive bsp, common sense & trial & error I have created curved walls & pathways without any tutorial showing how (I only used a 48 side cylinder bsp & clipped it's unwanted sides off, yes i know i can make smoother curves etc). I also referred to rauchberg's tutorial for a few extra things like adding the bot-nav bounds, adding powerups/weapons/health/jump-pads etc.

The basics are not that hard, it's a good editor, REALLY intuitive... BUT my issues have been with the lack of clarity by EPIC in their wikis

Now i have only 2 problems...

1. SHARE doesnt work on mac 4.7.0 ut editor
        2. lighting build ALWAYS fails on mac 4.7.0 ut editor so i cant get creative with lighting

... that's it. I've got NO other problems mate.

all the other problems i had previously about 'missing content' was because it was not made simply clear in the wiki's that you do NOT make ut maps in the engine editor, so i was going nuts because that editor has zero content. Finally someone made that clear and then i just used the UT editor (4.7.0) not the 'engine editor' (4.7.6/4.8.0)

Tbh for me, the detail of a map isn't really important, the best maps back in the day weren't played for their graphics; the best maps are about the map layout.

I am quite happy to just make maps & focus on the layout and gameplay potential and learn about adding better graphic detail as i go along. I just wish those 2 problems i list above were fixed for MAC - I cant learn about creative lighting for example until the 'lighting build failed' is fixed for mac

i just want to get the basics down so i can do some video tutorials for total noobs like me.

cheers anyways.

do you like the map btw?

Attached Files
        Last edited by nasty; 06-08-2015, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah lol, and i am VERY keen for people such as yourself to test it!

But i am amazed that given the tiny handful of possible variations on graphics chips & drivers, epic cant have this sorted on even the current mac range. Macs always have better stability before windows in every other sphere of media work which is why people use macs for media work on the whole. In video/audio/graphics fields, s/w companies tend to deliver mac stability first because that tends to be their core professional user base. That's not a "fanboi" comment btw; i've built/owned a shedload of windows boxes going back to the days of dx266's & win 3.11, NT servers etc & still have 6 windows machines sitting about the place.

The only thing possibly which might fix the "lighting build fail" is updating to Yosemite, which i have held back on doing (still on mavericks on my macs), but i cant see how that would make any logical sense. Why would Yosemite have later drivers than Mavericks? The changes afaik are purely cosmetic and to integrate IOS better.

so... what can i do to provide info about the "lighting build fail"? is there some Epic diagnostic tool i can run or some log i can post here or whatever? I really would like to get that sorted so i can learn about lighting.

Comment

Working...
          X