No announcement yet.

Trying UT on a 5K iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've also been playing UT4 on a Retina 27" iMac with the same specs and the same game settings, but I find the game very playable. However, I've never been a PC gamer so perhaps my standards are lower - I don't mind the low settings for detail and such, as long as I can identify the important components of the game, such as other players and the various pickups. My FPS seem pretty good (120 when things are quiet, and pretty much always in the 60-100 range during active periods, though I have a harder time checking the fps stat when things get hot). I usually play the WIP maps, though, so the lower detail in those certainly helps. I've also never noticed any mouse issues during game play (other than my general lack of skill, but that's pilot error). I'm using a Logitech Daedalus G303, by the way, since Logitech now supports their configuration software on the Mac and those profiles are saved in the mouse.

I played and love UT99 back in the day (also on a Mac), and UT4 seems every bit as playable now as back then. I do wish the crashing bug with the previous update would get fixed, but other than that I'm pretty impressed with the current state of UT4 on the Mac.

I also occasionally play UT4 on my old 17" MacBook Pro (it's the last version of that model, so it's a Late 2011 model with a Radeon 6770M GPU with 1GB of memory). While UT4 definitely plays less well on that old hardware, I still believe it's playable for someone of my limited abilities. I suppose it's possible my hardware is holding me back a bit, but I think most of that is my 57 years (my "OFSG" handle stands for "Old Fat Slow Guy").

Just thought I'd add another perspective on this topic.

Comment

I was ahead with 1 minute left on 3 star 2v2 Lea offline challenge, then the game crashed.

After the Nov 19 update, the game won't even stay running for one match.

It looks like **** on OSX...i play on my bootcamp partition in windows 10.

Comment

OSX - 5K Retina Display
        1600x900
        Low details (medium effect detail)
        no AA

Windows 10 / Bootcamp
        1600x900
        Low details (medium effect detail)
        AA

Same hardware:
        iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
        4 GHz Intel Core i7
        8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
        AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
        Attached Files
        Last edited by PHOSPHENE; 11-24-2015, 04:41 AM.

Comment

same behavior with Feb 2 build

looks like sh** in OSX
          Won't stay running for more than 5 mins in OSX or Windows 10 Bootcamp

Epic Games launcher still says "November 19 build"
          Server browser only shows like 20 players. Guess that's what happens when a game is left broken for 4 months at a time. it's more like the pre-omega build.
          Last edited by PHOSPHENE; 02-03-2016, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PHOSPHENE View Post

looks like sh** in OSX

Server browser only shows like 20 players. Guess that's what happens when a game is left broken for 4 months at a time. it's more like the pre-omega build.
            A pre-omega would be a release candidate for an expansion to a fully released and patched game.

Also, pre-alpha game. This is not finished, this is not final, this is not bug-free, this is broken, this is experimental. If the game was finished and bug free, it wouldn't be called pre-alpha.

Comment

Xan says "I am the alpha and the omega"

"pre-omega build" was a reference to the beginning of the end of UT4. It's been experimentally broken for a long time.

The Apple feedback is short. The game STILL crashes every five minutes. In both OSX and Windows 10/bootcamp.

You have earned zero macintosh stars.

OSX EL Capitan 10.11.2 (15C50)
              iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
              4 GHz Quad Core i7
              8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
              AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
              Last edited by PHOSPHENE; 02-03-2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Hey PHOSPHENE,

Do you happen to have the Callstacks for the Crashes that occur. If so, can you please post them here and we can investigate further.

Thanks,
                Wombo

Comment

Originally posted by [EPIC] Wombo View Post
                  Hey PHOSPHENE,

Do you happen to have the Callstacks for the Crashes that occur. If so, can you please post them here and we can investigate further.

Thanks,
                  Wombo
                  where would I find those? OSX and windows 10

Comment

Windows logs are within the Documents\unrealtournament\Saved\Logs directory.
                    OSX logs should be within Library>Logs>UnrealTournament. Also check within Library>Logs>UnrealTournament>DiagnosticReports for crash log.

Thanks,
                    WhiteGumby

Comment

Log location Windows 10 = user/documents/unreal tournament/saved/logs/
                      [2016.02.03-06.01.19:005][464]LogD3D11RHI:Error: Direct3DDevice->CreateInputLayout( InVertexDeclaration ? InVertexDeclaration->VertexElements.GetData() : &NullInputElement, InVertexDeclaration ? InVertexDeclaration->VertexElements.Num() : 0, &InVertexShader->Code[ InVertexShader->Offset ], VertexShaderCode.GetActualShaderCodeSize() - InVertexShader->Offset, InputLayout.GetInitReference() ) failed
                      at D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-UT-Releases\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Shaders.cpp:248
                      with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
                      [2016.02.03-06.01.29:507][464]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
                      [2016.02.03-06.01.29:507][464]Log file closed, 02/02/16 22:01:29
                      log location OSX = library/logs/diognostic reports

Only "epic Games launcher" crash logs are in there. The games launcher crashes along with UT.

Since the game crashes after a few minutes, initially I suspected overheating issues. It is an iMac after all, all the hardware is crammed in behind the display. But then the same crash behavior started being reported by many users.
                      Last edited by PHOSPHENE; 02-05-2016, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Same. Crashes randomly after a few minutes. Won't stay running long enough to even finish one match. These callstacks are from the windows version of UT, played in bootcamp, on mac hardware. I don't even try playing in OSX. It looks and plays like garbage in OSX.

[2016.02.05-07.28.40:302][772]LogD3D11RHI:Error: Direct3DDevice->CreateBuffer(&Desc, NULL, UniformBufferResource.GetInitReference()) failed
                        at D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-UT-Releases\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11UniformBuffer.cpp:159
                        [2016.02.05-07.30.21:256][772]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
                        [2016.02.05-07.30.21:256][772]Log file closed, 02/04/16 23:30:21
                        [2016.02.05-07.44.29:316][259]LogD3D11RHI:Error: Direct3DDevice->CreateInputLayout( InVertexDeclaration ? InVertexDeclaration->VertexElements.GetData() : &NullInputElement, InVertexDeclaration ? InVertexDeclaration->VertexElements.Num() : 0, &InVertexShader->Code[ InVertexShader->Offset ], VertexShaderCode.GetActualShaderCodeSize() - InVertexShader->Offset, InputLayout.GetInitReference() ) failed
                        at D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-UT-Releases\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Shaders.cpp:248
                        [2016.02.05-07.44.32:846][259]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
                        [2016.02.05-07.44.32:846][259]Log file closed, 02/04/16 23:44:32

Comment

Hey PHOSPHENE,

Since you have a Radeon R9 series graphics card, there have been issues with the last couple driver releases that cause major crashes in UE4 games. The current workaround is to set Shadows to Low in your graphics settings. It might be a while before you get updated drivers for your card since I believe Apple includes all hardware driver updates in their OS updates. Let me know if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by PHOSPHENE View Post

looks like sh** in OSX

There is also a HUB browser bug listed right now that only shows players who are idling in HUBs instead of in an actual match. So if you see ~20 players in your server browser that number is not representative at all of how many players are actually playing.

Comment

I've been experiences repeatable crashes at game startup every time I try to launch it, both on my new 27" Retina iMac and my older (late 2011) 17" MacBook Pro, both running the latest El Capitan OS X. The end of the most recent log file on my iMac shows what appears to be a memory access violation:

[2016.02.05-01.53.26:619][ 0]LogMac: === Critical error: ===SIGSEGV: invalid attempt to access memory at address 0x18

[2016.02.05-01.53.26:619][ 0]LogMac: FOpenGLUniformBuffer::CacheResourcesInternal() Address = 0x19e1c121 (filename not found) [in UE4-OpenGLDrv-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              void FOpenGLDynamicRHI::SetResourcesFromTables<TOpenGLShader<FRHIPixelShader, 35632u, (EShaderFrequency)3> >(TOpenGLShader<FRHIPixelShader, 35632u, (EShaderFrequency)3> const*) Address = 0x19de81a0 (filename not found) [in UE4-OpenGLDrv-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FOpenGLDynamicRHI::CommitGraphicsResourceTables() Address = 0x19de3fc9 (filename not found) [in UE4-OpenGLDrv-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FOpenGLDynamicRHI::RHIDrawIndexedPrimitive(FRHIIndexBuffer*, unsigned int, int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int) Address = 0x19de5126 (filename not found) [in UE4-OpenGLDrv-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FShaderCache::PreDrawShader(FRHICommandList&, FShaderCache::FShaderCacheBoundState const&, TSet<int, DefaultKeyFuncs<int, false>, FDefaultSetAllocator> const&) Address = 0x119dd525 (filename not found) [in UE4-ShaderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FShaderCache::InternalPreDrawShaders(FRHICommandList&, float) Address = 0x119dada4 (filename not found) [in UE4-ShaderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              TickRenderingTickables() Address = 0x11898276 (filename not found) [in UE4-RenderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              TGraphTask<FRenderingThreadTickHeartbeat::Run()::EURCMacro_HeartbeatTickTickables>::ExecuteTask(TArray<FBaseGraphTask*, FDefaultAllocator>&, ENamedThreads::Type) Address = 0x118a1412 (filename not found) [in UE4-RenderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread(int, bool) Address = 0xd2eb4c6 (filename not found) [in UE4-Core-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit(int) Address = 0xd2eae85 (filename not found) [in UE4-Core-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FRenderingThread::Run() Address = 0x1189fcaf (filename not found) [in UE4-RenderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() Address = 0xd3151d0 (filename not found) [in UE4-Core-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) Address = 0xd2f187a (filename not found) [in UE4-Core-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
                              _pthread_body() Address = 0x86f59c13 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
                              _pthread_body() Address = 0x86f59b90 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
                              thread_start() Address = 0x86f57375 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
                              The game seemed to run fine on both system right after I installed the recent big game update, but the recent small update to the Launcher appears to have broken something.

Comment

Hey OFSG, have you tried immediately closing the launcher while UT4 is starting up?

Comment

Working...
                                X