Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Trying UT on a 5K iMac

Trying UT on a 5K iMac

Hello. I decided to try UT on one of those new 5K iMacs. I'll report results here if that helps. So far, I got it installed, running, finished the tutorial, and played a few bot matches.

Back in the day, I played UT GOTY competitively(on a PC). So, I'm not a complete noob. But it's been a while.

Oct 2014 27" 5K resolution iMac.
    4ghz i7 quad core
    8GB RAM
    AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB
    OSX Yosemite 10.10.4

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac15,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M295X
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 4096 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6938
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C773AA-731
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.731
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: Retina LCD
    Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina
    Retina: Yes
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes

• replied
    I wrote a blog post about running UT4 in macOS High Sierra on an iMac 5k – including how to show the FPS counter (good for validating the graphics performance tunings) and disabling the broken Tutorial Videos:

https://swissmacuser.ch/best-graphics-settings-for-unrealtournament4-on-imac5k-highsierra/

Would love to have it challenged or for any other suggestions regarding running Unreal Tournament – as best as possible – on macOS

Cheers,
    Oliver

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks pitbull! You're my Hero of the Day!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by OFSG View Post
    I haven't tried that, but I do have more information. Because of the hardware I use I play in windowed mode instead of full screen, and I noticed that if I leave (or maybe click) the mouse in the blank game window area as it's starting it doesn't crash. I also can't move the mouse out of the game window like I could before, but the game doesn't crash. I haven't done exhaustive testing yet, but it seems like the problem is related to windowed mode and possibly the mouse. I'll try to quantify things a little more and post back here.

UPDATE: Immediately closing the Launcher while the game is starting does not help. The thing that does seem to prevent the crash is clicking the blank game window just after it appears (which takes quite a while). This is while that window is still completely black, since the crash happens before any graphics or other controls appear in that window. Just leaving the mouse in the area of the screen where the game window appears is not sufficient - I have to actually click somewhere in the window.

Now if I could just figure out why the game seems to ignore most of my primary (left) mouse button clicks I'd be much happier...
    No need to supply the ShaderCache - I have the same problem reproduced on my 2012 MacBook Pro so I can debug it from here. I'll try and get it fixed for the next release!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by WhiteGumby View Post
    Windows logs are within the Documents\unrealtournament\Saved\Logs directory.
    OSX logs should be within Library>Logs>UnrealTournament. Also check within Library>Logs>UnrealTournament>DiagnosticReports for crash log.

Thanks,
    WhiteGumby
    UT's own crash reporting places its logs in: ~/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealTournament/4.11/Saved/Crashes
    OS X's internal crash reporter will be in ~/Library/Logs/UnrealTournament/DiagnosticReports but I don't expect you'll find much there for UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by OFSG View Post
    I haven't tried that, but I do have more information. Because of the hardware I use I play in windowed mode instead of full screen, and I noticed that if I leave (or maybe click) the mouse in the blank game window area as it's starting it doesn't crash. I also can't move the mouse out of the game window like I could before, but the game doesn't crash. I haven't done exhaustive testing yet, but it seems like the problem is related to windowed mode and possibly the mouse. I'll try to quantify things a little more and post back here.

UPDATE: Immediately closing the Launcher while the game is starting does not help. The thing that does seem to prevent the crash is clicking the blank game window just after it appears (which takes quite a while). This is while that window is still completely black, since the crash happens before any graphics or other controls appear in that window. Just leaving the mouse in the area of the screen where the game window appears is not sufficient - I have to actually click somewhere in the window.

Now if I could just figure out why the game seems to ignore most of my primary (left) mouse button clicks I'd be much happier...
    From the callstack you've found a bug in the ShaderCache which is causing a null pointer error - if you can provide the ShaderCache files we can find out why. They should be located at: ~/Documents/UnrealTournament/Saved

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by linoleumbnprt View Post
    Hey PHOSPHENE,

Since you have a Radeon R9 series graphics card, there have been issues with the last couple driver releases that cause major crashes in UE4 games. The current workaround is to set Shadows to Low in your graphics settings. It might be a while before you get updated drivers for your card since I believe Apple includes all hardware driver updates in their OS updates. Let me know if that helps.

Shadows have been on "low" the whole time.

1600x900 full screen
    vsync = off
    frame rate cap = 200
    smooth framerate = off

screen % = 50
    texture detail = low
    shadow quality = low
    effects quality = medium
    anti aliasing = none. Although it defaults to FXAA, which doesnt seem to affect FPS.
    decal life = 30 seconds

Prior to Nov 19, those settings were playable for me. Maxing out at 200fps, and rarely dropping below 100fps.

Bootcamp Drivers...
    Boot Camp Support Software 4.0.4326 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1636?locale=en_US
    Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720?locale=en_US
    Boot Camp requirements by Mac model https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205016

When I play in OSX windowed mode, it crashes less often. But it looks like ****, and theres tons of mouse lag. I just play on the windows/bootcamp partition.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Last edited by OFSG; 02-07-2016, 06:43 PM. Reason: Update on crash symptoms

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey OFSG, have you tried immediately closing the launcher while UT4 is starting up?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've been experiences repeatable crashes at game startup every time I try to launch it, both on my new 27" Retina iMac and my older (late 2011) 17" MacBook Pro, both running the latest El Capitan OS X. The end of the most recent log file on my iMac shows what appears to be a memory access violation:

[2016.02.05-01.53.26:619][ 0]LogMac: === Critical error: ===SIGSEGV: invalid attempt to access memory at address 0x18

[2016.02.05-01.53.26:619][ 0]LogMac: FOpenGLUniformBuffer::CacheResourcesInternal() Address = 0x19e1c121 (filename not found) [in UE4-OpenGLDrv-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    void FOpenGLDynamicRHI::SetResourcesFromTables<TOpenGLShader<FRHIPixelShader, 35632u, (EShaderFrequency)3> >(TOpenGLShader<FRHIPixelShader, 35632u, (EShaderFrequency)3> const*) Address = 0x19de81a0 (filename not found) [in UE4-OpenGLDrv-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FOpenGLDynamicRHI::CommitGraphicsResourceTables() Address = 0x19de3fc9 (filename not found) [in UE4-OpenGLDrv-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FOpenGLDynamicRHI::RHIDrawIndexedPrimitive(FRHIIndexBuffer*, unsigned int, int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int) Address = 0x19de5126 (filename not found) [in UE4-OpenGLDrv-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FShaderCache::PreDrawShader(FRHICommandList&, FShaderCache::FShaderCacheBoundState const&, TSet<int, DefaultKeyFuncs<int, false>, FDefaultSetAllocator> const&) Address = 0x119dd525 (filename not found) [in UE4-ShaderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FShaderCache::InternalPreDrawShaders(FRHICommandList&, float) Address = 0x119dada4 (filename not found) [in UE4-ShaderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    TickRenderingTickables() Address = 0x11898276 (filename not found) [in UE4-RenderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    TGraphTask<FRenderingThreadTickHeartbeat::Run()::EURCMacro_HeartbeatTickTickables>::ExecuteTask(TArray<FBaseGraphTask*, FDefaultAllocator>&, ENamedThreads::Type) Address = 0x118a1412 (filename not found) [in UE4-RenderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread(int, bool) Address = 0xd2eb4c6 (filename not found) [in UE4-Core-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit(int) Address = 0xd2eae85 (filename not found) [in UE4-Core-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FRenderingThread::Run() Address = 0x1189fcaf (filename not found) [in UE4-RenderCore-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() Address = 0xd3151d0 (filename not found) [in UE4-Core-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) Address = 0xd2f187a (filename not found) [in UE4-Core-Mac-Shipping.dylib]
    _pthread_body() Address = 0x86f59c13 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
    _pthread_body() Address = 0x86f59b90 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
    thread_start() Address = 0x86f57375 (filename not found) [in libsystem_pthread.dylib]
    The game seemed to run fine on both system right after I installed the recent big game update, but the recent small update to the Launcher appears to have broken something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PHOSPHENE View Post
    same behavior with Feb 2 build

looks like sh** in OSX
    Won't stay running for more than 5 mins in OSX or Windows 10 Bootcamp

Epic Games launcher still says "November 19 build"
    Server browser only shows like 20 players. Guess that's what happens when a game is left broken for 4 months at a time. it's more like the pre-omega build.
    There is also a HUB browser bug listed right now that only shows players who are idling in HUBs instead of in an actual match. So if you see ~20 players in your server browser that number is not representative at all of how many players are actually playing.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey PHOSPHENE,

Since you have a Radeon R9 series graphics card, there have been issues with the last couple driver releases that cause major crashes in UE4 games. The current workaround is to set Shadows to Low in your graphics settings. It might be a while before you get updated drivers for your card since I believe Apple includes all hardware driver updates in their OS updates. Let me know if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Same. Crashes randomly after a few minutes. Won't stay running long enough to even finish one match. These callstacks are from the windows version of UT, played in bootcamp, on mac hardware. I don't even try playing in OSX. It looks and plays like garbage in OSX.

[2016.02.05-07.28.40:302][772]LogD3D11RHI:Error: Direct3DDevice->CreateBuffer(&Desc, NULL, UniformBufferResource.GetInitReference()) failed
    at D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-UT-Releases\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11UniformBuffer.cpp:159
    with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
    [2016.02.05-07.30.21:256][772]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
    [2016.02.05-07.30.21:256][772]Log file closed, 02/04/16 23:30:21
    [2016.02.05-07.44.29:316][259]LogD3D11RHI:Error: Direct3DDevice->CreateInputLayout( InVertexDeclaration ? InVertexDeclaration->VertexElements.GetData() : &NullInputElement, InVertexDeclaration ? InVertexDeclaration->VertexElements.Num() : 0, &InVertexShader->Code[ InVertexShader->Offset ], VertexShaderCode.GetActualShaderCodeSize() - InVertexShader->Offset, InputLayout.GetInitReference() ) failed
    at D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-UT-Releases\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Shaders.cpp:248
    [2016.02.05-07.44.32:846][259]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
    [2016.02.05-07.44.32:846][259]Log file closed, 02/04/16 23:44:32

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Log location Windows 10 = user/documents/unreal tournament/saved/logs/
    [2016.02.03-06.01.19:005][464]LogD3D11RHI:Error: Direct3DDevice->CreateInputLayout( InVertexDeclaration ? InVertexDeclaration->VertexElements.GetData() : &NullInputElement, InVertexDeclaration ? InVertexDeclaration->VertexElements.Num() : 0, &InVertexShader->Code[ InVertexShader->Offset ], VertexShaderCode.GetActualShaderCodeSize() - InVertexShader->Offset, InputLayout.GetInitReference() ) failed
    at D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-UT-Releases\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Shaders.cpp:248
    [2016.02.03-06.01.29:507][464]LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
    [2016.02.03-06.01.29:507][464]Log file closed, 02/02/16 22:01:29
    log location OSX = library/logs/diognostic reports

Only "epic Games launcher" crash logs are in there. The games launcher crashes along with UT.

Since the game crashes after a few minutes, initially I suspected overheating issues. It is an iMac after all, all the hardware is crammed in behind the display. But then the same crash behavior started being reported by many users.
    Last edited by PHOSPHENE; 02-05-2016, 02:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Windows logs are within the Documents\unrealtournament\Saved\Logs directory.
    OSX logs should be within Library>Logs>UnrealTournament. Also check within Library>Logs>UnrealTournament>DiagnosticReports for crash log.

Thanks,
    WhiteGumby

Leave a comment:

Working...
X