Trying UT on a 5K iMac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying UT on a 5K iMac

Hello. I decided to try UT on one of those new 5K iMacs. I'll report results here if that helps. So far, I got it installed, running, finished the tutorial, and played a few bot matches.

Back in the day, I played UT GOTY competitively(on a PC). So, I'm not a complete noob. But it's been a while.

Oct 2014 27" 5K resolution iMac.
    4ghz i7 quad core
    8GB RAM
    AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB
    OSX Yosemite 10.10.4

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac15,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 4 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M295X
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 4096 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6938
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C773AA-731
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.731
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: Retina LCD
    Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina
    Retina: Yes
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes

http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/design/
    Orchestrating the performance of 14.7 million pixels.
    A more advanced timing controller.

The timing controller, or “TCON,” is the brains of the display — it tells each pixel what to do and when to do it. Because iMac with Retina 5K display has four times as many pixels as the standard 27-inch iMac display, the TCON had to be able to handle more information than ever. But even the most powerful timing controllers available couldn’t manage this number of pixels, so we had to create a new one with four times the bandwidth of the previous-generation 27-inch iMac — up to 40 Gbps. Now a single supercharged chip beautifully orchestrates the symphony of all 14.7 million pixels.
    Apparently, the retina displays have their own CPU. Apple always likes to add proprietary thingamajigs.

I'm having similar resolution issues the other "retina display" users are experiencing. The game wants to run at 1/2 the resolution the screen is set to.

My system resolution is set to 2560x1440. 2560x1440 is comfortable for everyday computing. When I set UT to 2560x1440 fullscreen, it actually runs 1280x720 that's enlarged to fit. This configuration is playable, but not pretty. I get about 70-100 fps with all details on "epic" and AA off. AA knocks off about 20fps. Low details gain me bout 20fps.

When I switch UT to 5120 x 2880, the game becomes unplayable, but looks great. I can see all the detail in the weapons, reflections, and the edges are sharp, but I get sub 20fps.
    Last edited by PHOSPHENE; 07-23-2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Oct 2014 27" 5K resolution iMac.
      4ghz i7 quad core
      8GB RAM
      AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB
      OSX Yosemite 10.10.5

I like the wall running.
      Overall, the movement feels good.
      hitboxes seem accurate.
      like that there's lots of graphic controls in the menus. like the mouse sensitivity menu

what version of UT am I using? Dunno, I cant find the version number anywhere.
      mouse malfunctions during initial boot. Have to minimize to get into any of the game menus.
      transloc trajectory seems short.
      joining multiplayer games ALWAYS times out on the first try.
      after time-out, the server browser lags hard, then returns 0 results. It's too frustrating to even attempt joining a server.
      Long load times with nothing but black screen
      music plays in the server browser window, but none of the other menus. Cant see a control for menu music.

Overall poor performance. Being an iMac, I didnt expect excellent performance. But, with a 4ghz quad core, and a 4GB vid card, I thought it'd do better.

Comment

The problem is its a mobile video card and you are trying to play at 5k resolution. I have a GTX 980 and the game is barely playable at 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by nes710 View Post
          The problem is its a mobile video card and you are trying to play at 5k resolution. I have a GTX 980 and the game is barely playable at 4k.
          What part of 2560x1440, don't you understand? Apparently reading 3 previous posts is too much trouble for you. You're not helping.

Comment

screen and game resolution seem to match now

game version cannot be found anywhere

game browser only works about 1/10 times. Constantly locking up.

very long load times. takes about 60 seconds to boot the game.

game launcher crashes often, requires force quit.

Comment

i get ~ 50fps on Facing Worlds. at 2650x1440, no AA. It drops down to the 20s.

About what I expected....not much.

As usual, UT is only playable on a million dollar computer with a thousand dollar connection
              Last edited by PHOSPHENE; 10-03-2015, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Nah, it just sucks on Macs atm. It hasn't been optimized at all for Macs, and honestly I find it amazing that you've been able to get it to run at all without assistance. So props to you for that. It's going to be awhile before it plays well on your machine.

Comment

worse than i thought. my screen percentage was set to 50%. That explains why it looked enlarged.

the game is barely playable at 1280x720, low details, no aa. (4ghz i7, 4gb vram)

The latest update screwed up the game browser royally. It constantly locks up and becomes unresponsive. Must quit the game AND the epic launcher to unlock my internet connection.

I have Windows 10 installed on a bootcamp partition. Maybe ill try UT on that

Comment

I can run ut4 with everything on low on a surface pro 2 and stream at ~20fps and still pull a meager 30 fps in game. In shell maps, when not streaming, I can actually get a pretty stable 60 fps when there is no action.

Using windows will definitely improve your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by PHOSPHENE View Post
                      worse than i thought. my screen percentage was set to 50%. That explains why it looked enlarged.

the game is barely playable at 1280x720, low details, no aa. (4ghz i7, 4gb vram)

The latest update screwed up the game browser royally. It constantly locks up and becomes unresponsive. Must quit the game AND the epic launcher to unlock my internet connection.

I have Windows 10 installed on a bootcamp partition. Maybe ill try UT on that
                      Mac and Linux are both in a very rough state at the moment. We're taking some newer engine versions soon that should hopefully have some improvements across the board for our other platforms. cafe is correct for now though in mentioning that using windows will "improve your experience" until we've spent more time on the other platforms.

Comment

Hopefully my feedback helps.

The good news is that the game is actually playable on my Bootcamp partition. http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

I installed UT, in Windows 10, on my Bootcamp Partition. After that, I was finally able to beat a few offline challenges in hard mode.

2650x1440, 100% screen percentage, medium details, no aa = solid 60fps. ~120 fps looking at a wall, ~40 fps outside.

Comment

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2015.0715.2138.37093
                          Driver Packaging Version 15.20.1060-150715a-186304C
                          Direct3D Version 9.14.10.01128
                          OpenGL Version 6.14.10.13399

Graphics Chipset AMD RADEON R9 M295X
                          BIOS Version 015.048.000.005
                          Memory Size Memory Size 4096 MB
                          Memory Type GDDR5
                          Core Clock in MHz 850 MHz
                          Memory Clock in MHz 1362 MHz
                          Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 174.3 GByte/s

Comment

conclusions:

Unplayable on OSX
                            Barely playable in Bootcamp on Windows 10

the sweet spot on this machine seems to be

1600x900
                            Low details
                            No AA

It looks like ****, but it's smooth. well over 120 fps indoors.

Comment

Nov 19 build feedback...

Overall decrease in performance.
                              I like how the rocket launcher tubes light up as it's being charged.
                              The new CTF map is pretty cool.
                              Rewards were reset. Finishing an online match triggered a reward release. All my skins and junk are available again.

OSX EL Capitan 10.11.1 (15B42)
                              iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
                              4 GHz Intel Core i7
                              8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                              AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Performance has worsened in OSX
                              Still looks like complete garbage in OSX
                              Crashes often
                              Mouse becomes unresponsive when main fire is depressed

Windows 10
                              BootCamp 6.0 drivers https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203909

Performance has worsened in Windows 10
                              Nov 19 update crashes often with "video driver reset" error message. It usually crashes after a few minutes of play.

Comment

Working...
                              X