Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editor keeps crashing when compiling C++ code

Hello,

I wanted to take a look at the game, compile it, modify etc.
    I have been struggling to do so for the last few days, when I have some free time...

I build everything using Visual Studio with the "Development Editor" solution configuration. I also tried "DebugGame Editor", but it somehow seems to make it worst.

When I modify some code in C++, I go to the editor and press Compile.
    That worked once out of around 10 times.
    I usually get this error:

Code:
    Assertion failed: !FindSlateStyle( SlateStyleName ) [File:C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\Unreal Projects\UnrealTournament\Engine\Source\Runtime\SlateCore\Private\Styling\SlateStyleRegistry.cpp] [Line: 19] 

KERNELBASE.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffbf059606c) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
    UE4Editor-Core.dll!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() (0x00007ffbb8e35594) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
    UE4Editor-Core.dll!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA() (0x00007ffbb8cb7138) + 159 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:144]
    UE4Editor-Core.dll!FDebug::AssertFailed() (0x00007ffbb8c983a7) + 62 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:224]
    UE4Editor-SlateCore.dll!FSlateStyleRegistry::RegisterSlateStyle() (0x00007ffbb8953e9b) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\slatecore\private\styling\slatestyleregistry.cpp:21]
    UE4Editor-UnrealTournament-3100.dll!SUWindowsStyle::Initialize() (0x00007ffb9b99246e) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\unrealtournament\source\unrealtournament\private\slate\suwindowsstyle.cpp:20]
    UE4Editor-UnrealTournament-3100.dll!UUTLocalPlayer::PlayerAdded() (0x00007ffb9b7ab84e) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\unrealtournament\source\unrealtournament\private\utlocalplayer.cpp:168]
    UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UGameInstance::AddLocalPlayer() (0x00007ffbabb9385b) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\gameinstance.cpp:411]
    UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UGameInstance::CreateLocalPlayer() (0x00007ffbabba668a) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\gameinstance.cpp:364]
    UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UGameViewportClient::SetupInitialLocalPlayer() (0x00007ffbabc6bfd1) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\gameviewportclient.cpp:1443]
    UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!UEditorEngine::CreatePIEGameInstance() (0x00007ffbb5e3b09c) + 16 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\playlevel.cpp:2655]
    UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!UEditorEngine::PlayInEditor() (0x00007ffbb5e84910) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\playlevel.cpp:2212]
    UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!UEditorEngine::StartQueuedPlayMapRequest() (0x00007ffbb5ea0283) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\playlevel.cpp:974]
    UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!UEditorEngine::Tick() (0x00007ffbb5bdb1d4) + 13 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\editor.cpp:1226]
    UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!UUnrealEdEngine::Tick() (0x00007ffbb6092896) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\unrealedengine.cpp:347]
    UE4Editor.exe!FEngineLoop::Tick() (0x00007ff7222fd7c3) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2257]
    UE4Editor.exe!GuardedMain() (0x00007ff7222f090c) + 0 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:142]
    UE4Editor.exe!GuardedMainWrapper() (0x00007ff7222f097a) + 5 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
    UE4Editor.exe!WinMain() (0x00007ff7222fee89) + 17 bytes [c:\users\kevin\documents\unreal projects\unrealtournament\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:202]
    UE4Editor.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() (0x00007ff7222ffe49) + 21 bytes [f:\dd\vctools\crt\crtw32\dllstuff\crtexe.c:618]
    KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffbf15b16ad) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
    ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffbf2e8eb64) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
    ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffbf2e8eb64) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
    At this point, the game closes. If I try to reopen it, I usually see this message:
    Code:
    Plugin 'PackageContent' failed to load because module 'PackageContent' could not be loaded. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be properly set up
    Followed by:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	crash.png
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	355527

Sometimes though, after recompiling the whole engine and seeing the crash, when I reopen the editor, it instead says files are out of date. It tries to recompile them (takes forever), fails and tell me to do it in visual studio (which, once again, takes forever and doesn't fix the issue)

It takes a long time to reset/clean the git repository and start over every single time. I probably spent 5-6 hours waiting around for compiles and maybe 30min-1h of fiddling around. Very frustrating.

Why does it keep crashing like that? I'm really starting to lose patience.. Also, I would attach some logs but it says "Invalid File" so here are some pastebins

http://pastebin.com/xqxkmjrz
    http://pastebin.com/NXnA0aaR

Which version of the engine are you using. You need to he using the source engine/compile the engine yourself and it needs to be the UT branch of the engine. If you are using a precompiled one or the wrong version it won't work.

On phone right now so I can't get any specifics, but I wanted to try to point you in the right direction.

Comment

hey cafe,

I'm using everything from the git repository and nothing else. I'm gonna try to switch the solution configuration to only build the game so that I don't waste 45min every single time I make a change. Hopefully that will be enough...

Comment

This is called "hot reload" and it only works about 1% of the time when you are extremely lucky.

Can't complain too much I guess because it used to work about 0.0001% of the time.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Oh.. I thought the hot reload would be working properly, especially after a year..

Comment

So what am I supposed to do in order for me not to wait 45 minutes to see the change from when I modify code? Kinda annoying that 1 line of code change = 45 minutes wait...

Comment

Only real option is to close editor, compile, open editor but I agree. If only the engine supported a script language that ran on a runtime that didn't have to be recompiled every 5 seconds for gameplay code.
              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                If only the engine supported a script language that ran on a runtime that didn't have to be recompiled every 5 seconds for gameplay code.
                ...Blueprint... .

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                There are a couple of people working on scripting systems for UE4 including C# and Java. Even Matt is working on his own updated version of UnrealScript outside of is work for Epic and it going to be really sweet. Now I don't think any of these secondary scripting system will ever become a part of the engine, so unsupported 3rd party add-ons will have to do.
                Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                It's not associated with Unreal Tournament as it's a private project on his part so I don't know if he has a place to talk about it. I know there are some threads in the unreal engine side regarding alternate scripting systems.
                Originally posted by Adric.Worley View Post
                I'd really like to do this. I haven't looked into what is required to make a Mutator that uses custom C++ code, and I vaguely remember Mysterial saying something on IRC about that still being up in the air(?) because of security issues with redistributing unverified DLLs. Is there anyone on the UT team I can/should contact about how to get started on packaging it up? If it becomes a major blocker, I'll look into porting everything over to Blueprints since that seems to be better-supported.
                So...
                ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                  ...Blueprint... .
                  Don't make me laugh. Dang it!
                  So...
                  Well the last thing I heard is that the engine team is avoiding anything that smells like a "scripting language" like the black plague for some reason (heard that this week). The problem is that they still haven't figured out a secure way to distribute just engine plugins through the marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                    Well the last thing I heard is that the engine team is avoiding anything that smells like a "scripting language" like the black plague for some reason (heard that this week). The problem is that they still haven't figured out a secure way to distribute just engine plugins through the marketplace.
                    I was wondering how it was gonna work. I thought they had that figured out, but I guess not. Couldn't they have something like this? Seems to work for Google (not that I know much about it!)

Comment

Working...
                    X