Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Resolved] Stock Material goes to Default Material when trying to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Resolved] Stock Material goes to Default Material when trying to use?

This happened yesterday when trying to figure out why the NavMeshBoundsVolume was crashing my editor so I started a New map to see if it was my current map causing the issue!

When I went and found a Material (wanted to use the cobblestone) I right clicked to drag it onto my surface and it lost the texture and went to default???? ... see below!

Several from that group did the same!?

Anybody experience this problem before???

... did I do a No No?
    Attached Files

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Hi Laambo,

Did you move any of your materials or textures in the content browser? This typically occurs when a reference has been broken/moved in a material. If you double click the material, you should be able to re-reference the textures that were used. Additionally, go through the folders in your content browser, right click and press "Fix redirectors" for any folders where content has been moved from. This will clear up the redirectors left behind.
    Adam Davis | Engine Support Technician | Epic Games
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Davis View Post
      Hi Laambo,

Did you move any of your materials or textures in the content browser? This typically occurs when a reference has been broken/moved in a material. If you double click the material, you should be able to re-reference the textures that were used. Additionally, go through the folders in your content browser, right click and press "Fix redirectors" for any folders where content has been moved from. This will clear up the redirectors left behind.
      Thank you sir!

... don't think I intentionally have but not going to bet on that!

Comment

Those materials are part of the engine starter content that just got added to the UT editor distribution in the last build. I had the exact same problem with them and I know I didn't move them. Some of the materials were fine, others were not.

Comment

Hi Laambo,

so, do I go ahead and "Delete" these assets showing in the 1st pic? ... and, pic 2 shows the errors that have been from said bad redirectors? ... see below

then this popped up...

I hit cancel because I was not sure about Deleting a good file!?

Thank you!
          Attached Files

Comment

I would not delete the assets themselves, just do the fix redirectors and go ahead and delete the objectredirectors that show up in the list. There may have been an error during distribution that is causing the error, but the same fix should clean it up. Rereferencing the material and fixing up redirectors should clean up the filepath references within each material.

Comment

I would not delete the assets themselves, just do the fix redirectors and go ahead and delete the objectredirectors that show up in the list. There may have been an error during distribution that is causing the error, but the same fix should clean it up. Rereferencing the material and fixing up redirectors should clean up the filepath references within each material.
              So is that what pic #1 is saying that those assets listed are objectredirectors? ... or skip (cancel) that step like I did!?

sorry if I'm a pain but just want to make sure I don't make things worse!

..and thank you for your quick replies on this, much appreciated!

Comment

The ones in the image should be redirectors and would be fine to remove. And not a problem at all, I'm happy to help! At worst, the references will break and just need to be re-referenced within the individual material if that hasn't already been done.

Comment

The ones in the image should be redirectors and would be fine to remove. And not a problem at all, I'm happy to help! At worst, the references will break and just need to be re-referenced within the individual material if that hasn't already been done.
                  Thanks again I no longer get those error msg's but when I tried to do a "Verify" next to the "Launch" button drop down arrow it starts a download and stops at 4% sits there for a few seconds the says "Install failed ....could not install patch data! ... please try again later!"

I'm still able to launch the editor, and work and use it but just can't do any build all or build pathing with the NavMeshBoundsVolume in any maps as that crashes my editor!

Hope we get patch/update soon and hope that fixes my problem!

Comment

Is it possible to use the GameTextures Free Materials Pack in the UT-Editor?

I'm having quite a similar question...
                    totally new to the editor (and 3d programs in general), been using it now for several weeks...
                    trying to build a UT map now...

so, one thing I tried today:

I "MIGRATED" the Game Textures Free Materials from the Engine to the Content folder of the UT-Editor...
                    so far it worked, they're all there as you can see in the screenshot,

BUT when I'm trying to apply them on a static mesh (or on anything else), nothing happens, in the DETAILS window under MATERIALS I can see the name of the texture but the texture isn't on the mesh...

I also did the "fix redirectories" (don't think that has anything to do with my problem though)

is it even possible to use the Free Materials in the UT-Editor?
                    I would be very happy if someone could answer
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by barsam2a; 05-01-2015, 04:49 AM.
                    WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
                    Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

In this case, because the content was migrated from another project to this one there are no redirectors. Did you actually use the migrate option or did you manually move the content over from one project to the other? If you manually moved the contents you will probably have to manually fix the textures as the references will all be broken.

Laambo did the recent launcher update fix your verify error?

Comment

First of all, thanks Adam for answering

Did you actually use the migrate option or did you manually move the content over from one project to the other? If you manually moved the contents you will probably have to manually fix the textures as the references will all be broken.
                        I used the "migrate" option, (where it shows you the whole list of all related files to the stuff you are "migrating", and you then have to select the folder you want it to copy to)
                        I did NOT just move the folder.

I migrated this using the version 4.7.6 of UE and the newest UT-Editor.

I've now seen the problem, the textures/path of the UV and normal maps are missing (although they're all there in the Content Folder too...)

so I made a quick test "re-pasting" them in the materials-editor and now it's working

Thank you for your time.

The engine and the community are both awesome :-)

Kind regards
                        Martin
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by barsam2a; 05-04-2015, 08:40 PM.
                        WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
                        Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

...............................................................................................

Laambo did the recent launcher update fix your verify error?
                          Yes Sir! ... Thank you!

Comment

I'm happy to hear everyone has found solutions to their errors here. I am going to mark this as [Resolved] for tracking, however if the errors persist please feel free to comment and I'll take another look!

Comment

I'm happy to hear everyone has found solutions to their errors here. I am going to mark this as [Resolved] for tracking, however if the errors persist please feel free to comment and I'll take another look!
                              Hi Adam, I'm still having issues with the materials in the "game/StarterContent/Materials" folder with some of the materials going to "default" materials. It seems that the Textures referenced in the materials are missing in the "Texture" folder!? ... not sure why it shows me the material texture until you click/hold and drag to surface to use or if you try to copy/duplicate it it reverts back to a default material!?

...also, when you try to utilize the "Fix up Redirectors in Folder" on the StarterContent Folder you don't get the pop up asking you if you want to proceed! ... nothing happens on that folder!

thought I would let you know!

Comment

Working...
                              X