Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone computer shutting down running the Alpha Builds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone computer shutting down running the Alpha Builds?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Anyway, my computer has shut down for the second time while running the Alpha Build. It's weird because the game ran about 7-14 minutes both times. Also, there wasn't anything running in the background. I have never had this happen on other games with my laptop. Anyone else have this happen?

laptop specs
    Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M graphics with 16GB (2x 8GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI)
    4th Generation Intel Core i7 Processor
    Windows 8.1
    Admin of UnrealLeagues.com

Originally posted by THE_MTV View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Anyway, my computer has shut down for the second time while running the Alpha Build. It's weird because the game ran about 7-14 minutes both times. Also, there wasn't anything running in the background. I have never had this happen on other games with my laptop. Anyone else have this happen?

laptop specs
    Windows 8.1
    I'm curious what your temps are when you're playing?
    and
    Hi MTV!!
    "Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best. To crush your enemies; to win the Tournament"

Comment

Are you using process explorer? Also since the computer shut down check your eventvwr.

and
      Hi MTV!!
      and
      Skippy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by THE_MTV View Post

laptop specs
        Windows 8.1
        Since you are running windows, you should post this here . And read the sticky...

Comment

Most likely overheating, check your temps with something like HWmonitor after playing for a few minutes.

Comment

Sounds like your computer is unstable. A program cant directly cause your computer to shut down like that. The worst you could do is cause it to bluescreen, but even that would take some really really ****ty programming. More than likely your CPU is overheating or your power supply is failing to provide adequate power.

Try using anything you can find to lift the base of the laptop an inch or so off your desk (you are playing on a flat hard surface right?). Then put a small desk fan pointing underneath it and try playing again. You can also download some applications to monitor your CPU temperatures. Make sure the laptop doesnt have any power saving or quiet mode enabled and that all fans are set to run at 100% in the bios. Finally do a little research on your laptop, its becoming common for laptop makers to give you a PSU that gives just enough power to run the laptop. Lenovo is currently doing this with some laptops where when plugged in, the PSU isnt powerful enough to run the CPU and full speed and charge the battery.
            PayBack

Comment

I currently have the same problem, i can play for about 10 min online then my cpu/gpu temp goes nuts and i already have the big version of the PSU for my dell. Running around maps offline is totally fine for hours.

Comment

Again, thats not a game issue thats a hardware issue. Laptops arent made for gaming, sure they sell laptops with GPUs in them and advertise them as such, but when it comes down to it, they arent made for gaming. Playing online is just pushing your hardware too hard and its overheating. When you play offline your computer loads everything and then basically just access it all from ram, when playing online your CPU and GPU have to work hard to constantly be loading new material.
                PayBack

Comment

When you have 2 or 3 memory chips one of the things that can happen is voltage overcharge it may happen with other parts as well so it's always good to check in bios if vol. is set to one number or is just set to auto.

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                    Again, thats not a game issue thats a hardware issue. Laptops arent made for gaming, sure they sell laptops with GPUs in them and advertise them as such, but when it comes down to it, they arent made for gaming. Playing online is just pushing your hardware too hard and its overheating. When you play offline your computer loads everything and then basically just access it all from ram, when playing online your CPU and GPU have to work hard to constantly be loading new material.
                    well its very simple, i just deactivate lights, reflection and postprocessing... then it runs very smooth.

Comment

...or your power supply is failing to provide adequate power.
                      ^ This.

Dual GeForce GTX 880M
                      I looked it up and apparently running your gpu in sli requires almost 200w. It really sounds like your psu may not have the oomph to push everything it needs to at once, so your computer freaks and shuts down to prevent damage. If that is the case, your current psu is either inadequate or faulty. Either way, I suggest contacting the manufacturer about obtaining a larger psu.

Comment

rule out heating issue.....the temp never got over 64

also, i am not even playing any games. I just launch the game and go into spectate.......about 4-7 minutes.......boom

I am thinking maybe there is a sudden spike or something or a conflict with a program I have running in the background

Keep in mind, I've played just about every new game out there on max settings on this laptop and it has never had any heating issues nor have I seen the computer shut down on me

Btw, it wasn't doing this on the previous alpha builds
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by THE_MTV; 08-29-2014, 07:12 AM.

Comment

after further review..........its definitely something to do with heat

I've been testing this game with a few other laptops and 2 desktops and these alpha builds just hog the GPUs like I've never seen!

a person with a good laptop with 2GB or DDR5 750 GT card or lesser GPU can forget about playing these builds on their system!

After 5 minutes, the GPU is going to rise to about 100!

The developers need to keep in mind that not everyone is going to have a beast for a system that's going to enable them to play the new Unreal.

Please make sure that the game is playable on a wide range of rigs and not just desktops! I am not talking about running the game on great settings or anything like that!

I'm able to play many games with lesser gpu's and cpu's with no problems and these alpha builds had me puzzled!

THIS is what kinda killed ut3. People needed specific systems just to get ut3 to run smoothly when it was released. In contrast, people were able to play other games
                          with with no problems with lesser rigs.

If epic wants a huge array of people playing, they must keep in mind the people with the lesser rigs and laptops!

I hope I didn't ramble on too much. I just want everyone to be able to enjoy the new unreal not just select individuals

mtv
                          Last edited by THE_MTV; 08-31-2014, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Your video RAM doesn't double in SLI. Just a heads up. From my understanding the data is mirrored, you don't stack memory. Two 4GB cards = 4GB of video memory.

Comment

Working...
                            X