Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packet loss out during gaming (asking you as a last ditch effort)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packet loss out during gaming (asking you as a last ditch effort)

If any of you have played with me in the last month or so (Elimination on Absolute Atalanta), you've seen me curse and b**ch over the last month or so. I really need help to figure out what is causing a packet loss out issue I'm having.

Issue:
    Per netstats on any UT server I join, when playing, I get 2-8% packet loss out. When I die, there is no packet loss in or out. When I re-spawn, and start sending information over the internet (it's a series of tubes), I get packet loss.. all day, every day, every minute.... It just bounces up and down from 0% packet loss for a few seconds, then 2%, then 4%, the down to 0%, then up to 8%.

I have cable internet from Spectrum (Charter). 100Mbps down, 5Mbps

Steps I've tried myself to resolve the issue:
    1) Replaced the cable modem with one I purchased from Best Buy - no fix
    2) Replaced router with one I purchased from Best Buy - no fix
    3) Ran new Ethernet cable directly from cable modem to PC (by passing router and removing all other connected equipment in the house from jamming the line)
    4) Called Spectrum and had tech come out twice (he's coming out again this Saturday... going to keep calling them until its fixed). Tech keep saying the line going into the back of the cable modem is good. No packet loss to line. I told him I'm not worried about packet loss in... I'm trying to trouble shoot packet loss out.. he keeps blaming the game.
    5) Bought a new PC ... this bad boy right here... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everyone else on the server says they are not getting packet loss... plus, I get this packet loss on all servers (again, only when I spawn... packet loss out).

Nothing I've tried has fixed it. The only thing I think I haven't tried is some Windows security or something is scanning packets on the way out and dropping them? I don't know. I'm at a loss and would appreciate any help the community can provide me! Thank you, guys!
    CyberPowerPC GXiVR8060A4 | Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz Six-Core | 8GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB DDR5 |120GB SSD | Razor DeathAdder Chroma Mouse

I get a really erratic connection to the Atlanta server. Packet Loss, ping Deviations as high as 99ms, and it's almost constant.
    X58 i7 970 4.2GHz HT on, GTX 1070, 144Hz 1ms, 1080p in-game res.

Comment

1) Do you get packet loss out or in? And how much (1%, 2%, 3%...)?
      2) Do you get it on any other servers?

I get packet loss out (not in) on all UT servers and I'm at a loss at what it could be.
      CyberPowerPC GXiVR8060A4 | Intel i5-7400 3.0GHz Six-Core | 8GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB DDR5 |120GB SSD | Razor DeathAdder Chroma Mouse

Comment

It is erratic, and I can't remember if it was in or out but I do get it. I think it's the game rather than the hardware and OS.

Are you familiar with OS system tweaks and networking tweaks? Registry level, too

Comment

optimze your network card... enable ECN, diasable LSO, Interrupt Moderation.... if you dont use ipv6 disable it on router and pc...

https://www.speedguide.net/articles/gaming-tweaks-5812

Comment

I have a crappy upload at the best of times but cFosSpeed gives me a more reliable sustained speed. It improves my upload speed slightly but the stability is more useful.
            https://www.cfos.de/en-gb/cfosspeed/...tion/games.htm
            You can test it free for about a month, but it is quite cheap.
            Several OEMs repackage their own version with a different name, so you may be able to match a free version to your motherboard maker.
            Who wants a UT99 FOOD FIGHT ?

Comment

I did the following:

enabled ECN
              Disabled LSO
              Disabled Interrupt Moderation
              Set NetworkThrottlingIndex to ffffff
              Set SystemResposiveness to 0
              Set LargeSystemCache to 0

I installed the cFosSpeed program

Unfortunately, none of the above resolved the packet loss out issue. The Spectrum tech came out today (same guy)... was here for all of 5 minutes...enthusiastically told me there is nothing wrong with their lines and went off to his next appointment.

Spoke to another tech that suggested I switch to a business line and get a static IP. Don't know if that will help but I'm out of ideas here.

Thank you, hi0b and Dr.Flay for the technical suggestions. Any additional suggestions are welcome!

Comment

Here's a video of what I'm talking about... all servers, all day errrrreday.
                Check out this video on Streamable using your phone, tablet or desktop.
                Last edited by LeaderX; 10-14-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Greets LeaderX! Installing/Using any type of netlimiter (cfos and so forth) does require you to do your homework. Traffic shape'n is a delicately sensitive area of your internet connection, especially if you go tweaking through your regedit. However, up'n your line to a private/static ip, is usually a $$ step in the right direction just be sure to carefully read through your isp's SLA.
                  That new rig you bought should handle UT4 just fine and I'd be interested in having a look with you if you like, just join the -= LoPing Arena =- on your ingame server list (tab next to Hubs) also make sure the Show all empty hubs/servers box is checked.

Comment

Thank you, DutchSmoke (great name).

I will hop on that server tonight when I get off work and if we cross paths, I'd be happy to show you what I got going on.

I didn't do much with the Cfos except install and let it run. I haven't tweaked it at all. I hope I didn't screw anything up with the regedits I annotated above. I realize its dangerous. But I'm so desperate!

I had a pretty good tech out yesterday (fellow gamer) who went the extra mile. He said there was "a lot of noise on the line" and that he was going to escalate the ticket to see if they could pin point the source of the noise (at a junction box?)... I'm waiting to hear back on that before I take the next step of getting a static IP. It is an extra $10/month so $120/year is nothing to sneeze at. It also puts me into business packages which I hope are not too much more expensive than the residential. Again, going to wait and see what comes of this noise on the line troubleshooting they're doing before getting a static IP.

Comment

How is your Router setup?

Comment

No worries LeaderX, If the "gamer" tech mentioned alot of noise, then there's a big piece of the puzzle solved and with your ticket being escalated I'd hang tight till it's resolved.

Comment

Update:

Cleared the "noise" on the cable line. No fix. Got a new tech who identified upstream ripples. His equipment was giving a readout of 10 ripples and the number, according to him should be 1 (although he said he regularly sees 3s and 2s... but 7 or more is bad). Anyway, the ticket has been escalated to a supervisor and I'm supposed to follow up with them on Thursday. The tech also said many people don't look for ripples.

Note - Spectrum is so disjointed between the quality of the techs you get and the customer service reps you get... it's so hit and miss. I get one tech who comes out for 5 minutes and says everything is fine and there is nothing more they can do. I just keep calling and I specifically asked for another tech (while giving negative feedback on the previous tech who seems to hate his job). All I can say is anyone else goes through this ****, be diligent. Just keep giving them hell... be the squeaky wheel. Finally got a thorough tech who gives a **** and went the extra mile. Got his number so I can call him directly as he has taken a personal interest in my issue.

Comment

Little late to this thread, wish I saw it sooner before you spent all that money upgrading equipment. The chances of outbound or inbound packet loss being caused by the game or your local pc/network are slim to none unless you are saturating your bandwidth pipe. You do only have 5Mbps outbound which isnt much, but UT alone wouldnt be able to saturate it. This is a difficult issue to fix, i went through it with Comcast about a year ago. Same **** as you, 2-5% packet loss, they did the whole everything is fine blah blah blah. Eventually it was fixed, but not for me, during the middle of the issue it just one day cleared up. Keep on the ISP, 100% sure its them.
                            PayBack
                            Come Join UT4Pugs.com on Discord! https://discord.gg/nx5Gnbx
                            Capture the Flag, Elimination, Duel, Assault, Flag Run, Death Match, Team Death Match, Custom Maps and Mutators!
                            UT4Pugs Chicao MEGAHUB - Dual CPU, Intel Xeon 16C/32T 64GB RAM Bare Metal Server
                            UT4Pugs Detroit Minihub - Single CPU, Intel Haswell 4C/4T 8GB RAM SSD Bare Metal Server

Comment

Not sure which modem you have but many newer high speed modems are using the Intel Puma 6 chipset and they completely suck for fast action twich response type gaming. If your modem has an Intel Puma 6 chipset, you will have problems both with latency and PL. Google it.

Comment

Working...
                              X