Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Guide] Compiling the engine from source, getting UT to work reliably step by step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
    Yeah, should work with the launcher as well if you copied the directory over, I'm using the launcher version again for mapping unless i need the full engine for something
    Just to clarify, it worked! I still gotten a error after building it in Visual Studio but it still opened automatically and started playing the game itself flawlessly.
    I love Gaming, Computers, 3D Graphics, and ultimately I love Unreal Tournament and Unreal Engine!
    http://www.hawkeyegamedesign.com

Comment

How do I get the latest Unreal Tournament build? I went to my UT directory in cmd window, and typed 'git pull' and typed my github info in, once it finish downloading the files. Nothing changes when I open up Unreal Tournament, How do I merge the latest updates with my master? I tried merge-master and it doesn't work in cmd...
      I love Gaming, Computers, 3D Graphics, and ultimately I love Unreal Tournament and Unreal Engine!

Comment

EDIT:

I got the latest build of Unreal Engine 4.6 source and Unreal Tournament build. The compiling was successful in Visual Studio and when I open Unreal Tournament with source 4.6, it gives me this window with multiple errors, how do I fix this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Error_UE4.6_UT4.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	333804
        Last edited by Oblivion2500; 12-20-2014, 09:07 PM. Reason: Fix problem, and new problem occurs.

Comment

those are in-editor errors with materials, in this case, the enforcer which we don't have the material assets for. you can ignore those errors unless its something to do with what you are working on.

Comment

Hey, I have lost my Unreal Folder and I had a level built with an older Unreal Engine (4.4 or 4.5 I think) and I know the the unreal tournament build was sort of recent as well. Now I can't import my levels to the Unreal Tournament Editor from Epic Launcher at all. Do I just redownload Unreal Engine and UT from github and open my level then convert to the Unreal Tournament Editor format? What should I do?

Comment

There's an editor on the launcher now you should be able to use no problem.

Comment

There's an editor on the launcher now you should be able to use no problem.
                When I load the files (content stuff, models, etc. in a folder) into the directory where the editor on the launcher is installed. It doesn't load or even show up when I try to open up the file.

Comment

how big are the files you have that are doing this? I could re-save them and reset their binary data for you if they're not that big.

if not:

Compile an editor with an engine version of 0 (UnrealTournament\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Resources\Version.h)
                  #define ENGINE_VERSION 0
                  #define BUILT_FROM_CHANGELIST 0

then re-save the files with that editor, then move them back to the launcher editor.

Comment

how big are the files you have that are doing this? I could re-save them and reset their binary data for you if they're not that big.

if not:

Compile an editor with an engine version of 0 (UnrealTournament\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Resources\Version.h)
                    #define ENGINE_VERSION 0
                    #define BUILT_FROM_CHANGELIST 0

then re-save the files with that editor, then move them back to the launcher editor.
                    I would really appreciate that if you could re-save my files for me to work with the UTLauncher - UTEditor. The whole project file is 183mb and you should be able to just drop them into Unreal Editor and see the folders/files in the content browser and open my level then save it or convert it so it will work with the new UTEditor from Epic Launcher. Lemme know if you're willing to convert/save it for me, I can send you a link via dropbox download, if that works for you. Just PM me.

Comment

I really like the instructions...they are very detailed but I'm a visual learner and reading through these instructions I feel like I'm getting caught in a spiderweb of information

As a visual a learner (I'm an artist) a Camtasia vid would really help me. If this whole process (from downloading the engine to playing the game or editing) was recorded and published here that would be awesome. Reading through these instructions with terminology and software I'm unfamiliar with I get really lost and I feel like I'm on a wild goose chase to find the things I need. I guess what I'm trying to say is I need a video to visually tie everything together, or a programmer/tech artist behind me to show me the way.

Thanks!

Comment

obviously there are many video tutorials out there on how to use the engine and how to create your own project but more specifically I'm looking for a video tutorial on compiling, forking using github, getting latest builds, using Visual Studio etc. I have followed the steps above and have installed all necessary 3rd party software (although I found that I installed the wrong version of visual studio) but I keep running into dead ends. It just seems like there are a lot of pitfalls for noobs at getting these things setup. I work at a game studio but usually somebody with technical knowledge walks me through the setup of whatever engine is being used and so that's what I'm accustomed to. Sorry for the ramble.

I also tried this guide
                        https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealTournament

Comment

Yeah the official guide gets some stuff wrong. It will work, but it's not the best way to do it imo. While I don't really want to spend the time to write a guide, I would be glad to walk you through it on TS at some point in the near future (after I get back from this CTF event).

Comment

Working...
                          X