Editor still doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editor still doesn't work

Yeah, like the title says I still can't open the project in the editor. First thing I did was try this: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Gettin...eal_Tournament which is obviously outdated. Next I followed the guide here: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...y-step-by-step and it still didn't work. Then I found out about this: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...oject-in-4-6-1 and after this fix I'm still getting this: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...lBuildTool-exe

I have no idea what to do anymore. The silence regarding this makes me feel like I'm the only one experiencing it. Pretty much all the information I could find is outdated now. I've been trying to get it working all week with no luck so if someone that has subscribed within that time like me has gotten it to work please tell me how you did it lol I'm going insane

oh and here's what I did with the most recent attempt:

git clone https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealTournament.git ---> Setup.bat ----> GenerateProjectFiles.bat ----> clicked on UE4.sln ---> Dev. Editor, Win 64, Build Solution ---> no errors, go to UT project, right click ---> generate visual studio project files ---> windows can't find an app to open it ----> tried installing a launcher version of the engine---> generate project files doesn't ask for an app anymore but generates no files
    Last edited by Fly Dungas; 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM.

You shouldn't need to open the UE4.sln. Once you run GenerateProjectFiles on the UT uproject it should generate a combined UE4/UT solution that you only have to build once in UnrealTournament.sln.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

hm.. is it found in a different place than usual? Because I tried again with this in mind and the generating project files progress bar pops up with no error or anything but when it goes away there are no new files in the folder with the UT project

nvm forgot about search lol I guess its just not making an UnrealTournament.sin for some reason

but if I skip clicking the GenerateProjectFiles.bat and go straight to the UT project it generates a new UE4.sin just like the .bat file. I guess I'm gonna try to build that so see if its the combined one
      I shouldn't say skip I just deleted the old one and tried the UT project again idk ill try anything at this point

nope..
      Last edited by Fly Dungas; 01-23-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

picked a really low traffic subforum I guess lol **** well that didn't work and if I do it over without running generateProjectFiles.bat and try to build the UT project it says there is no build tool

when I built the UE4.sin and tried to start the project it crashed with this:

Fatal error: [File:C:\Unreal\UnrealTournament\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\ShaderCompiler\ShaderCompiler.cpp] [Line: 1210]
        Couldn't launch C:/Unreal/UnrealTournament/Engine/Binaries/Win64/ShaderCompileWorker.exe! Make sure the file is in your binaries folder.

it isn't
        Last edited by Fly Dungas; 01-23-2015, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Okay sorry. I hadn't completely gone through this in Windows when I talked to you before.

Here what you have to do.

Clone
          Run Setup.bat
          Run GenerateProjectFiles.bat
          Open UE4.sln
          Build menu
          Configuration Manager
          Make sure you have Development Editor selected
          Check at least ShaderCompileWorker, but you'll really want most of the things in here especially UnrealPak, UnrealLightmass, SlateViewer... too many to list.
          Click Close
          Right click UnrealTournament project
          Click Build

Once done, you should go to Engine\Binaries\Win64 and run UnrealVersionSelector.exe to register this as an Unreal Engine installation. It will make your life easier in many ways.

You should now be able to open the uproject in the editor. Note thaton first launch the editor takes a good long while to open as it caches a bunch of ****.
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

It works!! I really appreciate your help and patience with this, its been driving me nuts lol you have my thanks!

Comment

Works for me but following this also produced a butt load of Engine plugin dlls. Is there a way around having to compile these every time I want to open the editor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	334241
              RoseBumRPG - UDK Converter - Grenade Launcher Prototype - Lightning Gun Prototype

Comment

You need most of those to run the editor and the support tools for it. The binary editor and the source editor from the engine team typically provide a lot of those for you.

Comment

I guess what I'm really looking for is for Git to ignore these untracked files without having to modify the .gitignore file. Unless my understanding of this workflow is totally backwards.
                  RoseBumRPG - UDK Converter - Grenade Launcher Prototype - Lightning Gun Prototype

Comment

Since they are untracked, git won't do anything with them. If you really want to hide them you can add them to your global gitignore but there isn't a much nicer way to handle it. You can also use git status -uno to see tracked files that have changes in them.

Comment

Working...
                    X