Cap Movie? Feedback on single clip and help for how to

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cap Movie? Feedback on single clip and help for how to

Hi, I'm thinking of making a cap movie! Mostly from Blitz hubs and perhaps the occasional ctf pug if my skill lvl there improves. I have no experience in recording or video editing but I managed to pull this small soundless clip below unto Youtube with help of the watch menu options. I've seen the vid from the sticky and I guess I can use the modern equivalent of shadowplay if recommended, no idea how to patch files together and add some music though. I would be very happy for any feedback on what to do or how to improve!

My advice would be to use recording software like shadowplay or obs rather than exporting from the watch tab as the replay system's functionality isn't all there just yet. The good thing about this is that you can record simple flythroughs of the map easily. You can also use the command "showhud" to remove all hud elements which can give the movie a more cinematic feel and you can add them back in during video editing (although it might take some time). As for the editing itself, if it's just putting the clips together with some music then you can use windows movie maker as it's free and simple.
    :|

Comment

Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
      My advice would be to use recording software like shadowplay or obs rather than exporting from the watch tab as the replay system's functionality isn't all there just yet. The good thing about this is that you can record simple flythroughs of the map easily. You can also use the command "showhud" to remove all hud elements which can give the movie a more cinematic feel and you can add them back in during video editing (although it might take some time). As for the editing itself, if it's just putting the clips together with some music then you can use windows movie maker as it's free and simple.
      Ok thank you so much for this help!

I guess I will use shadowplay and record directly from the watch menu.

As for the clip itself, would it be best to do 1st person or 3rd person, perhaps both? This was shot in fov 120, does such details matter and in that case which? How about the length of the clip, would you bother watching a movie that takes up 1 min/goal?

Comment

Definitely first person for the majority of clips but it's good to throw in some third person shots for context sometimes. I'd advise going for a smaller fov too, seeing as 120 is on the large side and some players who watch the video won't be used to it.
        :|

Comment

Ok, thank you for the advice.

Comment

Are you making this video for yourself, or for others' entertainment?

If you are making it for yourself, use it as a learning process and make the video however you want to, experiment with things, and don't worry about length of clips or total length (this would be my suggestion especially for a first video). Learn to use the effects and get familiar with the editor you're using so you can get a workflow going. This is how you will learn what you think works well and what doesn't.

If you are making it for other people's entertainment, it will be easier to keep people's attention by going from one clip to the next a little more quickly. Unless there is a really good payoff at the end or non-stop action, watching long clips as part of a highlight reel can get stale and be less interesting. It really depends on the quality of the content. Whenever I'm making a video I try to match the pacing of the action with the music, whether that means transitions or cuts or in game action, I think good sync is one of the biggest factors for giving the movie a unique atmosphere and visual impact. The main thing would be to look at other successful frag videos and see what you like about them and try to emulate them without copying them exactly. Eventually you will start to develop your own editing style.

I've found that most people prefer 1st person view the majority of the time, but as Flikswitch says including some 3rd person / freecam can be good if it adds some context to the scene (for example a flak lob over a wall where you cant see the person get hit from 1st person perspective) and if done well can make the movie seem more polished.

GL and HF
            NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
            My movies on YouTube:
            UT2k4: UT~]i[mmortalZ Part 1
            , Part 2 / UT~]i[mmortalZ 2 / UT Immortalz 3
            UT4: Rocket Jumping - Titan Pass

UT4: Frag Highlights #1 / #2 / #3 NEW

Comment

Originally posted by NoBrainsNoAims^ View Post
              Are you making this video for yourself, or for others' entertainment?

If you are making it for yourself, use it as a learning process and make the video however you want to, experiment with things, and don't worry about length of clips or total length (this would be my suggestion especially for a first video). Learn to use the effects and get familiar with the editor you're using so you can get a workflow going. This is how you will learn what you think works well and what doesn't.

If you are making it for other people's entertainment, it will be easier to keep people's attention by going from one clip to the next a little more quickly. Unless there is a really good payoff at the end or non-stop action, watching long clips as part of a highlight reel can get stale and be less interesting. It really depends on the quality of the content. Whenever I'm making a video I try to match the pacing of the action with the music, whether that means transitions or cuts or in game action, I think good sync is one of the biggest factors for giving the movie a unique atmosphere and visual impact. The main thing would be to look at other successful frag videos and see what you like about them and try to emulate them without copying them exactly. Eventually you will start to develop your own editing style.

I've found that most people prefer 1st person view the majority of the time, but as Flikswitch says including some 3rd person / freecam can be good if it adds some context to the scene (for example a flak lob over a wall where you cant see the person get hit from 1st person perspective) and if done well can make the movie seem more polished.

GL and HF
              I suppose I am making it for others entertainment to some extent, but I might take your advice and do this as I would prefer for myself since it is my first time. Thank you for the advice!

Comment

I found it best to use Plays.tv and Shadowplay. Plays TV allowed me to save 20 second highlights after something interesting happened and I used Shadowplay to save the last 5 minutes for the situation where there was a long flag run or something.

The 20 second clips are much, much easier to work with than running back through long files to find what you want.

You then need to find something that allows you to edit the videos together.

Unfortunately, the community size is quite low so getting more than a few hundred views is difficult.
                Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

@Smurgl
                  Caps are pretty easy though, normally up to 3 caps per blitz map and you have their time marked by the watch menu already. I like to go back a bit and show the way to the cap sometimes too. I get better performance without autorecord, but thank you for your input anyway!

Comment

You can set Shadowplay to cap shorter clips also. For myself playing mostly Elimination, I find 1 minute clips to be just about the perfect amount to capture the majority of a full round unless it goes into overtime. If I did something cool within that round I'm pretty much guaranteed to capture it within a 1 minute clip. That way you don't have to go back and watch the replay again, you can capture it on the spot, and a 1 minute clip is not that long to look through and find the frag you made.
                    NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
                    My movies on YouTube:

Comment

Thank you for your advice, but to clarify: I run the game at minimum possible settings. The quality(?) in the clip above could only be added afterwards or I'd never made that cap.

Comment

That is correct, you would have to record from the replay if you plan to capture at higher graphic settings than you play with.

The drawback is that there are many visual infidelities when watching replays. There is the crouch bug which makes your shots come out well above your crosshair. Your mouse/crosshair movements will appear different in a replay than in-game. Player positions may even be slightly different than how they appeared from your in-game perspective, as the server has its own perspective (this must be related to the ping comp/time rewind features). The server replay will never be able to replicate exactly what happened in game exactly how it happened. A flick shot that seemed impressive in-game may seem lackluster in a replay.
                        NoBrainsNoAims^ // nbna^
                        My movies on YouTube:

Comment

I've recorded most caps with any worth of viewing from 18 sept and about 10 Days forward. However I lost the cap that is on Youtube and all other caps recorded before 18 sept since the watch menu seems to auto-delete everything more than a month old, which I just found out about... Also this project is extremely time consuming for me, although I now have 1 month of material at my disposal I'm not sure if I will go through the rest even though there is some interesting caps there and I've done more than half of the matches... Maybe 7.32 gb of raw material will have to do? At least for now I think so!

Comment

Cap Movie rushed to Youtube! XD

Comment

Working...
                            X