What UT doesn't need. An essay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Except that I stated logical contributions and ideas and you achievement-fans failed to counter them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by 2Na View Post
    The same BS "what it doesn't need" arguments from the same spammy, loud mouthed, I-know-what's best purist LETS GO BACK TO 99 crowd. All the same names, all the same arguments, made over and over again, as fast as they can type over any one else's logical contributions and ideas.
    They want a game that appeals to their little handful, and will gripe and complain if anyone else gets ANYTHING they would like to see, because they think they are somehow, inexplicably...elite.
    Beat that dead horse, baby! Beat it!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The same BS "what it doesn't need" arguments from the same spammy, loud mouthed, I-know-what's best purist LETS GO BACK TO 99 crowd. All the same names, all the same arguments, made over and over again, as fast as they can type over any one else's logical contributions and ideas.
    They want a game that appeals to their little handful, and will gripe and complain if anyone else gets ANYTHING they would like to see, because they think they are somehow, inexplicably...elite.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mastermanaic View Post
    I lol'd. The "needs of a modern gamer." That was... well, it was funny.

You want your stupid, pointless, asinine little "achievements?" I don't care, just so long as there's an option to disable all notification of them and make it so that those who don't care or actively hate the sheer pointlessness of them don't even have to be aware of their existence.

"Needs of the modern gamer." Oh my God.

EDIT:

This. Oh dear Lord, this. I had completely forgotten about TF2 and its "achievements." Servers CONSTANTLY became "achievement farms" in which players would do NOTHING but sit there and mine achievements oh God kill it kill it with fire.

The answer is NO. No "achievements." None. Nada. Full stop. Get that **** the HECK out of my skill-based arena shooter.

Nobody cares about your 5000 headshots. Nobody cares about your 50 hours of play, or your ability to press a button in a menu (It's A Barbie World! -50g Equipped a Hat). Nobody cares about things you are NATURALLY going to "achieve" over the course of normal play like everyone else. Make it die and go away. Stopping this awful awful fail train of game development should start with games like the new UT specifically not helping to facilitate it.
    You hate it. We get it.

If it'll be in the game. Suck it.

If not, lucky you.

End of discussion.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Vasteel View Post
    They are not the entire focus of my gaming experience and of course I play games that don't have them, and don't miss them.
    Thats jsut what I wanted to explain in this thread. You say you dont miss them in games that dont have them. So, are they necessary?

Originally posted by Vasteel View Post
    Am I right in thinking that you are saying that people "very often" say "I won't play this game because it has achievements"?
    Well that was a bit exaggerated. Its rather like for example I play Mechwarrior Online for some time now, it always was a very professional and serious game to me, and after a bit of a break lastly, I got back to it yesterday, installed a patch, and while I was playing theres suddenly a ******* achievement message popping up on my screen. After that match I quit. Seeing that theyve implemented achievments just destroyed the image of a professional and serious game that it had to me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Zoddom View Post
    have you ever heard anyone saying "Naaah that game doesn't have achievements, it's ****, I won't play it?". The oppisite however is heard very often.
    I don't mind achievements they're a bit of harmless fun. They are not the entire focus of my gaming experience and of course I play games that don't have them, and don't miss them.

Am I right in thinking that you are saying that people "very often" say "I won't play this game because it has achievements"?
    Can't they just ignore the achievements if they're not into that stuff?
    How does other players enjoying obtaining achievements detract from their game?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We have explained often enough why we don't want just a remake of UT99. If you are too lazy to read all the posts, please don't jsut throw in the 2000th of these posts.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You guys are freakin ridiculous. Raging over something as stupid as achievements. If they put them into the game, let it be. You don't have to bother with them if you don't want to.

Oh and by the way, if you don't like Vehicle game modes, don't play them. Quit acting like its 1999 again and they are re-making UT99. If you just want UT99 with better graphics, THEN GO BACK TO UT99. NOBODY ELSE WANTS YOU HERE. D4mn near most of you guys have overly biased opinions towards players who like the other UT's or their new aspects. Epic should incorporate all of the core game modes, add in the popular game modes from previous games (Bombing Run, VCTF, Onslaught, Assault), so people can have THEIR FUN if they want to. If you think a game is totally garbage just because of one thing that has NO affect on your gameplay whatshowever and you don't like, then GO BACK TO YOUR GAME.

Sorry for the Ultra1!1!11!!1 rage post but I'm getting a little annoyed with these idi0ts in the forums thinking Epic should remake their favorite UT just because they liked it the best. GG =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by chroot View Post
    In all these threads people argue about what ut really is?

Most of the time what UT really is is just defined by what game they started playing.

Sorry but i am afraid they have.
    given the options of either

A: click play/matchmaking play a game with players of roughly the same skill in their preferred gamemode
    or
    B: search for irc channels, register with a pickup bot, wait for pickup maches to actually happen, then connect to a server only given an ip.

What do you think which group of players will choose B?
    Only the ones who are already familiar with that stuff because theyve been sticking around for a long time and played ut99, quake etc.
    So in the end you have a lot of players who are really skilled in arena/twitch fps games and a small amount of new players which actually choose option B instad of option A (= another game). The relatively new players will get their asses kicked from all the old guys and most of them will propaly loose interest in the game because of that.
    So in the end the only people that will play the new UT are the ones that already play UT right now.
    Well when Ive said that I really thought about the matchmaking in CS:GO letting match up with random team mates. Not the match making in general.
    Just, that you shouldnt be able to queue alone in a 5v5 game. Look for four friends, or other players that will form a premade team with you, and then it should let you queue up.
    Thats not as hard as finding enemies on irc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In all these threads people argue about what ut really is?

Most of the time what UT really is is just defined by what game they started playing.

Thats how it was done all the years and the playerbase of FPS didn't suddenly lose their ability to socialize and communicate.
    Sorry but i am afraid they have.
    given the options of either

A: click play/matchmaking play a game with players of roughly the same skill in their preferred gamemode
    or
    B: search for irc channels, register with a pickup bot, wait for pickup maches to actually happen, then connect to a server only given an ip.

What do you think which group of players will choose B?
    Only the ones who are already familiar with that stuff because theyve been sticking around for a long time and played ut99, quake etc.
    So in the end you have a lot of players who are really skilled in arena/twitch fps games and a small amount of new players which actually choose option B instad of option A (= another game). The relatively new players will get their asses kicked from all the old guys and most of them will propaly loose interest in the game because of that.
    So in the end the only people that will play the new UT are the ones that already play UT right now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by starman View Post
    Might I remind you that there's already an achievement API? Sorry.
    Design will lead on this kind of thing, where we're going to see a community take over after the groundwork has been laid.
    As much as you may want to see the game including all mod cons, as I look at this case, I don't want to see dedicated players that want to jump in and play some UT, marginalised by people for whom the game's wellbeing, and other's enjoyment of it is a secondary concern.
    I don't want a perception of needing to really have to scour the server lists to find the actual games to take root.
    I also do not want to see a point reached that the higher skilled players feel obliged to purposefully segregate, because they cannot typically rely on the support of players.

No. Design will lead, and in this case, my view is that it simply must.
    So, if we can have achievements that do serve as reflections of accomplishment (service commendations - I believe Battlefield 2 was mentioned earlier as a focus point) then that's something I could go along with, happily. An at-a-glance of a player's record can serve all kinds of useful purposes - the observer can still check the data, and it would all be right there should they choose.

For me, it's got to serve the game(play), and console/steam style achievements simply don't.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Um, so what?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by mastermanaic View Post

You want your stupid, pointless, asinine little "achievements?" I don't care, just so long as there's an option to disable all notification of them and make it so that those who don't care or actively hate the sheer pointlessness of them don't even have to be aware of their existence.

EDIT:

This. Oh dear Lord, this. I had completely forgotten about TF2 and its "achievements." Servers CONSTANTLY became "achievement farms" in which players would do NOTHING but sit there and mine achievements oh God kill it kill it with fire.

The answer is NO. No "achievements." None. Nada. Full stop. Get that **** the HECK out of my skill-based arena shooter.

Nobody cares about your 5000 headshots. Nobody cares about your 50 hours of play, or your ability to press a button in a menu (It's A Barbie World! -50g Equipped a Hat). Nobody cares about things you are NATURALLY going to "achieve" over the course of normal play like everyone else. Make it die and go away. Stopping this awful awful fail train of game development should start with games like the new UT specifically not helping to facilitate it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some people are just purists and can't open their mind to new things, nor can they understand the needs of the modern gamer.

You've got to be a bit cautious there in what you set the unlock criteria to. What can tend to happen is that people start making maps just to manufacture achievements "join my game - guaranteed achievement...Please rate!" - or, they join games with the main aim to farm these "goals". I'm not convinced that encouraging this kind of approach is beneficial to the game.
    EDIT:

Last edited by mastermanaic; 05-17-2014, 01:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ThePaSch View Post
    what's wrong with a "Get 5000 headshots"? Or even a "Snipe someone out of the air with a rocket"? It ain't gonna hurt anyone, it makes the game a pick-up for hardcore completionists, and whoever doesn't need or want them can simply ignore them.
    You've got to be a bit cautious there in what you set the unlock criteria to. What can tend to happen is that people start making maps just to manufacture achievements "join my game - guaranteed achievement...Please rate!" - or, they join games with the main aim to farm these "goals". I'm not convinced that encouraging this kind of approach is beneficial to the game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X