Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"viewmode unlit" - Debug viewmodes not allowed on consoles by default.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"viewmode unlit" - Debug viewmodes not allowed on consoles by default.

Can we have unlit mode? Shadows get in they way. :P

Currently trying to use "viewmode unlit" in the console gives the following message:
    Debuy viewmodes not allowed on consoles by default. See AllowDebugViewmodes().

There are a few discussion when I searched for picmip, so I'm not going to repeat them here.

Thread: One thing I definitely do not want to see possible in the new UT.
    Thread: The picmip is real
    Thread: Video Options Menu should include "Competition Mode".
    Thread: Visual clarity in Unreal Tournament
    Thread: More Graphics Options pls
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

_Lynx mentioned in another thread that it is not available as Epic are now providing shipping builds instead of debug builds.

Comment

It's also not available because we don't want it to be available when playing the game. All the graphics options that are legal to change will be in the menus. If it's not in the menu, you should expect that we will disable it.

Comment

Unlit mode is probably the absolute worst thing you could ask for, aside from "wireframe" mode. What you're asking for is a debug feature to become a graphical option and the short answer to that is, "not on your life". We all want better visibility, but turning your game into a steaming pile of poop is not the way to do it. There are better solutions that have yet to be implemented that would eventually make people happy. Features like picmip are just a bandaid. I used picmip in UT3 and found it to be hindering more than it helped because surfaces like grates became blurry see through windows, which is not only confusing at times, but is tantamount to cheating since grates are meant to be hard to see through, which is based on map author's preference of desired gameplay. When it comes to unlit mode, this is not a gray topic. It's disabled and should remain disabled, and no amount of pointing a finger at picmip threads will help win any arguments. Also, the comic is cute but also not relevant since unlit mode is a debug feature.
        Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Mysterial View Post
          It's also not available because we don't want it to be available when playing the game. All the graphics options that are legal to change will be in the menus. If it's not in the menu, you should expect that we will disable it.
          Originally posted by CaptainMigraine View Post
          Unlit mode is probably the absolute worst thing you could ask for, aside from "wireframe" mode. What you're asking for is a debug feature to become a graphical option and the short answer to that is, "not on your life". We all want better visibility, but turning your game into a steaming pile of poop is not the way to do it. There are better solutions that have yet to be implemented that would eventually make people happy. Features like picmip are just a bandaid. I used picmip in UT3 and found it to be hindering more than it helped because surfaces like grates became blurry see through windows, which is not only confusing at times, but is tantamount to cheating since grates are meant to be hard to see through, which is based on map author's preference of desired gameplay. When it comes to unlit mode, this is not a gray topic. It's disabled and should remain disabled, and no amount of pointing a finger at picmip threads will help win any arguments. Also, the comic is cute but also not relevant since unlit mode is a debug feature.
          @Mysterial and @CaptainMigraine:
          "unlit mode" was suggested as I saw it as the easiest (time and effort) solution to the perceived problem.

I'm all for more elegant solutions if time and resources are available to facilitate it.

Personally, I have no issue with the current level of visual clarity in the meshed maps.

I think that the perception that it just "doesn't look right" could stem from the shell maps typically being really bright when compared to their meshed versions.

Comment

Working...
          X