Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An honest opinion from the "Competitive Community" of Unreal Tournament USA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An honest opinion from the "Competitive Community" of Unreal Tournament USA.

I dont want people take this as a troll act, but the game is going in a direction almost nobody in the Old competitive UT99/UT2K4/UT3 really likes...
    And im talkin about people that have been playing this game by over a DECADE.

Its a shame you cant even find the most competitive players anymore because they dont like the direction this game is taking so they just leave, specially with those new features like piston shield, wall dodge, super jumps, broken sounds, horrible balance of 1v1, broken tele, slide or weapons balance.

I couldnt find a better video to describe what almost everyone thinks about Unreal Tournament 4 so far...

Dont delete this post please and i wont post the video here because i dont want to get baned, so just go to youtube and search for "CAFE: The Angry Unreal Tournament Nerd video." He basically says what every experienced FPS player and Old UT Games, really thinks about UT4 and the crew making this game. Cheers

ok

"watching"

gimme a sec

edit:

well i cant totally disagree on everything he said to be honest...
    Last edited by Seeboo; 02-24-2016, 03:04 PM.
    HEY KIDS LETS MEET AT THE FLAK SPAWN FOR A ****** PARTY !

Comment

She probably won't be bringing him up again in the live streams, though!

It's not an angry revenge video following criticism is it?
      Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Take this as you will, but personally? I don't think the competitive community of an older game has ANYTHING to do with a new game's success, rather its the exact opposite.

If a new game becomes popular: lots of people play it and pay attention to it: the competitive scene will grow from players in that community, not a bunch of nomadic superstars who decide they approve of it. A competitive scene is not a magical group of people who travel from game to game, dictating the growth rate. People will play a good game, and get good at it. Those players will then form a NEW competitive scene. Rocket League has a ton of highly competitive players who didn't have any competitive history before discovering their skills at Rocket League. They didn't hop from one game to another, blessing it with their spotlight.

essentially, good games create healthy competitive communities, not the other way around. UT should focus on making the game fun and enjoyable, and not listen to a bunch of yesterday's superstars who want the project to be "hitscan: the game".

Comment

Originally posted by KazeoHin-TechAE View Post
          Take this as you will, but personally? I don't think the competitive community of an older game has ANYTHING to do with a new game's success, rather its the exact opposite.

If a new game becomes popular: lots of people play it and pay attention to it: the competitive scene will grow from players in that community, not a bunch of nomadic superstars who decide they approve of it. A competitive scene is not a magical group of people who travel from game to game, dictating the growth rate. People will play a good game, and get good at it. Those players will then form a NEW competitive scene. Rocket League has a ton of highly competitive players who didn't have any competitive history before discovering their skills at Rocket League. They didn't hop from one game to another, blessing it with their spotlight.

essentially, good games create healthy competitive communities, not the other way around. UT should focus on making the game fun and enjoyable, and not listen to a bunch of yesterday's superstars who want the project to be "hitscan: the game".
          You should have to read and answer a quiz about this post in order to post on the forums.
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
            You should have to read and answer a quiz about this post in order to post on the forums.

Not quite sure what you are saying.

Comment

it's pretty hard to take anything you say seriously when you don't actually play the game.

stick to art, and leave the gameplay discussion to people who are interested in playing the game.

also, what initiatives have you undertaken, to grow the community in any way in Australia?

some of the 'yesterday's superstars' you are referring to have actually built a community. we have a website, YouTube channel, social media, CTF competition, including bringing new players into the fold and teaching them how to play/getting them involved, PUGs, all created by hard work of 'yesterday's superstars'

you're welcome to join in if you like. but if you want to sit and throw rocks at the people who are actually trying to build something, then you better hope you can return serve
              Last edited by bacon buster; 02-24-2016, 08:42 PM.

Comment

The hit scan argument bears it's ugly head again. It's a cheap excuse for terrible gameplay and justifying the awful state the game is in. Take out hitscan weapons and have only the other weapons such as flak and rl from the original UT games and you instantly have a much, much better game. Time to wake up me thinks.

Comment

There's a reason why it is called development.
                  ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                  ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                    There's a reason why it is called development.
                    Two years waiting for them to reduce the collision on weapons like flak and rockets but instead slowly increasing it to the point the game is dead and the enthusiasm has dissipated, throw the other one. It's by design. If you believe other wise you're in cloud cuckoo land.

Comment

Originally posted by bacon buster View Post
                      it's pretty hard to take anything you say seriously when you don't actually play the game.

stick to art, and leave the gameplay discussion to people who are interested in playing the game.
                      I play the game. Just not often. Motsly because I don't really enjoy it right now: not because I'm not interested.

If you want to have UT be a game all about keeping the old UT players (who have not moved onto other games) onboard AND NOBODY ELSE then, yeah, sure. I'll keep out of the discussions. Enjoy those hundred, maybe two hundred players. However, if you want UT to be a game that is, you know, actually successful and more than "another niche sequel to that game I used to play fifteen years ago", then you best change the attitude. The fact that I don't enjoy it, and I in no way feel compelled to play it often, shows that UT needs to improve. Here's someone who is emotionally and financially invested into the sucess of this project, and I really don't enjoy it. That should tell you something other than "He doesent like the game I like therefore he should shut up". The game is not even an alpha now, so I'm not super critical or vocal about what I don't like; I know it will get better eventually, so I like to sit back and watch, but if you think that my opinion does not matter, you best take a long, hard think about what you want from UT.

You cant have a product you wish to sell on the market, and respond to critics by saying "Well, you didn't even buy the product so shut up". That's how you fail at life; say hello to absolutely NO growth or progress. Companies invest BILLIONS of dollars into finding out how to get more people onboard with their product. You want people to WANT your product, and if people don't WANT it, than you have to make a very difficult decision on weather their patronage merits accepting their criticism and changing your product. Instead, ask yourself "Why is this person not wanting to buy our product, and what can we do so that this person (and many more like her/him) wants to buy this product?"

That goes for the Pros as well. One Pro's opinion on the title is just as important as one casual's opinion.

However, I see a trend here that Pros seem to think that ten Pros' opinions mean more than ten-thousand casuals' opinions.
                      Last edited by KazeoHin-TechAE; 02-24-2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

i updated my post while you were replying, i think you should respond to that.

Comment

I play the game. Just not often. Motsly because I don't really enjoy it right now: not because I'm not interested.

If you want to have UT be a game all about keeping the old UT players (who have not moved onto other games) onboard AND NOBODY ELSE then, yeah, sure. I'll keep out of the discussions. Enjoy those hundred, maybe two hundred players. However, if you want UT to be a game that is, you know, actually successful and more than "another niche sequel to that game I used to play fifteen years ago", then you best change the attitude. The fact that I don't enjoy it, and I in no way feel compelled to play it often, shows that UT needs to improve. Here's someone who is emotionally and financially invested into the sucess of this project, and I really don't enjoy it. That should tell you something other than "He doesent like the game I like therefore he should shut up". The game is not even an alpha now, so I'm not super critical or vocal about what I don't like; I know it will get better eventually, so I like to sit back and watch, but if you think that my opinion does not matter, you best take a long, hard think about what you want from UT.

You cant have a product you wish to sell on the market, and respond to critics by saying "Well, you didn't even buy the product so shut up". That's how you fail at life; say hello to absolutely NO growth or progress. Companies invest BILLIONS of dollars into finding out how to get more people onboard with their product. You want people to WANT your product, and if people don't WANT it, than you have to make a very difficult decision on weather their patronage merits accepting their criticism and changing your product. Instead, ask yourself "Why is this person not wanting to buy our product, and what can we do so that this person (and many more like her/him) wants to buy this product?"

That goes for the Pros as well. One Pro's opinion on the title is just as important as one casual's opinion.

However, I see a trend here that Pros seem to think that ten Pros' opinions mean more than ten-thousand casuals' opinions.

but in response, i haven't seen you join in any of our community ctf matches/pugs. everyone we have included in these matches has really enjoyed them.

a pro's opinion is no more valid the a casual players opinion. but you need to actually play to give a proper opinion. not offline against bots. online, with/against, real people

you seems to have a chip on your shoulder about 'pro players'. we've been nothing but inclusive and brought many new players, or older players who were never previously part of the community into the fold.

btw, i'd love to see 10,000 casual opinions. that would mean we had another 10,000 players

Comment

Sure thing:

also, what initiatives have you undertaken, to grow the community in any way in Australia?

some of the 'yesterday's superstars' you are referring to have actually built a community. we have a website, YouTube channel, social media, CTF competition, including bringing new players into the fold and teaching them how to play/getting them involved, PUGs, all created by hard work of 'yesterday's superstars'

you're welcome to join in if you like. but if you want to sit and throw rocks at the people who are actually trying to build something, then you better hope you can return serve
                            To answer the main question: without stating the obvious, but I've been given some awesome opportunities to help promote and develop UT, and I do my best to keep artists interested in the project.

I think it is AWESOME that you (and others like yourself) are building communities and trying to promote the game. However, that does not give you more than one person's worth of opinion to throw around, nor does it give you a right to expressedly state that one person's opinion is void. Your managed community is definitely a voice and a market (depending on the size of the group, of course) but make no mistake, I am just one person, and you are just one person. Our individual opinions are just as important as each-other.

Next: "Community manager/leader" and "Pro gamer" are not synonymous. And the qualifications of promoting UT as a project and a game through managing and maintaining a community are not a pre-requisite of, nor do they require the prior experience of, being a "Pro Gamer". Essentially, being a community manager gives you the credit of being a community manager: Being a Pro gives you the credit of being a Pro. This thread is about the opinions of Pros, and I made an observation that MANY Pros seem to have adopted a false sense of importance, thinking that they are somehow a magic determining factor in a game's success. Being a Pro does not make you a more important asset to a game's community or development than being a casual person who plays once a week. Pros are easily replaced by new pros. Pros emerge from popular games, not the other way around. The same cannot be said in broad strokes of community managers and ambassadors: however as I said the two 'roles' have no causal link to one another, regardless of weather the roles can be occupied by the same people.

Comment

Sure thing:

To answer the main question: without stating the obvious, but I've been given some awesome opportunities to help promote and develop UT, and I do my best to keep artists interested in the project.

I think it is AWESOME that you (and others like yourself) are building communities and trying to promote the game. However, that does not give you more than one person's worth of opinion to throw around, nor does it give you a right to expressedly state that one person's opinion is void. Your managed community is definitely a voice and a market (depending on the size of the group, of course) but make no mistake, I am just one person, and you are just one person. Our individual opinions are just as important as each-other.

Next: "Community manager/leader" and "Pro gamer" are not synonymous. And the qualifications of promoting UT as a project and a game through managing and maintaining a community are not a pre-requisite of, nor do they require the prior experience of, being a "Pro Gamer". Essentially, being a community manager gives you the credit of being a community manager: Being a Pro gives you the credit of being a Pro. This thread is about the opinions of Pros, and I made an observation that MANY Pros seem to have adopted a false sense of importance, thinking that they are somehow a magic determining factor in a game's success. Being a Pro does not make you a more important asset to a game's community or development than being a casual person who plays once a week. Pros are easily replaced by new pros. Pros emerge from popular games, not the other way around. The same cannot be said in broad strokes of community managers and ambassadors: however as I said the two 'roles' have no causal link to one another, regardless of weather the roles can be occupied by the same people.
                              i asked what you had done to help grow the community in Australia? keeping artists interested in the project is great, but it doesn't directly help grow player numbers, or strengthen the community in Australia. this is not me bagging what you have done, unlike how you have tried to diminish what us 'yesterday's heroes' are trying to do.

"Community manager/leader" and "Pro gamer" are not synonymous. not always, no. but in this case they are. many 'pros' are involved in the community trying to build on what we have, and make the community larger. we understand that player retention is important, and are making every effort to be as inclusive and helpful as possible

you bag the 'yesterday's heroes' pros out there, but you blindly fail to see the the shortcomings in your attitude. you've come up with some gameplay ideas previously. i said you are welcome to come and play with us so we can test them out. you never took us up on the offer. the offer still stands if you ever feel like playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X