Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Respawning in duel

Is this supposed to happen?

Bot respawns right next to me at end of video...

Originally posted by burawura View Post
    Is this supposed to happen?

Bot respawns right next to me at end of video...
    well yes, also there is no good algorythm atm, i think it is random somewhat.

Comment

Well, I don't think being able to respawn instantly on top of your opponent after dying is a good thing for duel to have in it.

Edit: I should rephrase this. I should say:

I think giving players the option to spawn near or far from their enemy after dying is a good idea (gives you more of a chance to either evade/stack up/deny or get a certain weapon, or try to refrag). But...when this option only sometimes presents itself, and at random, it's not good for the rules of the duel game.
      Last edited by burawura; 03-29-2016, 10:45 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Seems like a distance check from the frag that just occurred might be a good idea. Otherwise giving the player two options doesn't really solve the problem it's supposed to solve. It's still totally random whether you get to spawnfrag, or whether you get to refrag...

If we want to give players the option of spawning close to or far from their opponent who just fragged them, the current setup seems to do that...but only some of the time (depending on the randomness of the 2 choices). The random factor is still present, just less so. This doesn't solve the problem. What would get closer to solving it, would be to use distance checks from the last frag to give the respawning player ALWAYS one choice within a certain distance, and ALWAYS one choice further away. Right now, we have a system where games can be decided by whether the respawn system gives you a favorable choice or not.
        Last edited by burawura; 03-29-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Also, just as an exercise, I find it interesting to contemplate what it would be like if all spawns were freely choosable to respawn at after death in duel.

Comment

Elective Duel Mode:
            10 minutes
            Choice of map concedes first spawn choice
            Elective spawning - choose any spawn upon death or at start of round
            Players are able to see each others' spawn choices at start of game (?)

Item spawn times could need adjustment based on gameplay speed...faster health/vials?
            Spawn closest to last death or survivor could be locked if necessary
            Last edited by burawura; 07-25-2016, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X