Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raw input and mouse acceleration issues

Please allow Direct input in ADDITION to raw input options

I believe raw input is currently used? this is problematic for me, as i like to use Windows Enhanced pointer precision and none default pointer speed, you can question my methods but that is a different matter, what i need is the option to allow Direct input from windows, currently this doesn't appear to be supported, would this be difficult to implement this choice?

Also whenever i select even the lowest possible values for mouse acceleration, i spin uncontrollably, does anybody know why this is?

Please do not respond with your opinions on mouse acceleration vs acceleration off, everybody has their own opinion of which is better, the consensus is to have it off but there is still a cohort of people who prefer the accel, such as the quake players.

On a side note, what exactly is mouse smoothing? nobody seems to have ever been able to get a definitive definition of what it is and what it does, without speculating.

Even if i could get the mouse acceleration in the UT4 menu to work, it probably wouldn't be variable enough to replicate the default mouse settings with Enhanced pointer precision on.

If it is not possible to allow direct input, perhaps you could allow a tickable option ingame that would enforce the same settings.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
    "SmoothMouseXCurve"=hex:\
    00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
    15,6e,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
    00,40,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00,\

"SmoothMouseYCurve"=hex:\
    00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
    b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00,\
    cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00,\

These are the mouse reg values for Windows enhanced pointer precision. Perhaps if you could help replicate these as an option.

Here are their decimal values if that helps

SmoothMouseXCurve
    00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00, <-- 0
    15,6e,00,00,00,00,00,00, <-- 0.43001
    00,40,01,00,00,00,00,00, <-- 1.25
    29,dc,03,00,00,00,00,00, <-- 3.86001
    00,00,28,00,00,00,00,00 <-- 40

SmoothMouseYCurve
    00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00, <-- 0
    b8,5e,01,00,00,00,00,00, <-- 1.37
    cd,4c,05,00,00,00,00,00, <-- 5.30001
    cd,4c,18,00,00,00,00,00, <-- 24.30001
    00,00,38,02,00,00,00,00 <-- 568

Thanks.

Aside from a few games that mislable mouse acceleration "mouse smoothing".

Mouse smoothing interpolates mouse input to smooth out cursor movement in the case that you are skipping pixels. This setting as I understand it is of no benefit at all if you are not scaling up mouse input which you should not be doing especially when it comes to first person perspective games (though in game it may not matter as it depends on your resolution). If a person needs a faster cursor they should get a mouse with adjustable CPI. There are many such good mice to choose from these days at affordable pricing.

Also if you want aim acceleration you should use the in game settings. If those settings are not working properly or are insufficient, report that to Epic.

Comment

thank you for clarifying what Mouse smoothing is.

The acceleration bug has been reported for about a year now by multiple sources, clearly they just don't care, pretty disapointing

Comment

A driver based solution for accel that mimics ql options has been kicking around for a while, but was not ideal since it needed test mode in windows 10.

Here is a newer option that is not driver based. Haven't had a chance to play with it but it looks superior to anything epic might implement. Has been input latency tested with excellent results.

http://mouseaccel.blogspot.com.au/20...eleration.html
        Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Thanks Joel, i have tried this driver, it is good in that it manages to inject itself into UT, unlike the logitech drivers but the creator says it's not possible to recreate the enhanced pointer precision curve within this framework. I need to figure out why UT4 blocks the setting in the Logitech gaming software from working.

Originally posted by joellll View Post
          A driver based solution for accel that mimics ql options has been kicking around for a while, but was not ideal since it needed test mode in windows 10.

Here is a newer option that is not driver based. Haven't had a chance to play with it but it looks superior to anything epic might implement. Has been input latency tested with excellent results.

http://mouseaccel.blogspot.com.au/20...eleration.html

Comment

Yeah, the MS curve works really well. Could be due to being used to it, but my current hacked in curve isn't as predictable as I'd like.
            Originally posted by Mysterial
            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

BUMP

Disapointing to see that this STILL hasn't been addressed.

Mouse acceleration settings in the UT4 menu are still broken and no effort to replicate an enhanced pointer precision ticked have been made in the 2+ years since it has been reported multiple times, has it even been tested!?

UT4 blocks the enhanced pointer applied by the Logitech gaming software drivers

Joels suggestion is handy but like Anubis said it's really difficult to make a predictable curve, it would be really helpful to have an option that replicates the enhanced pointer precision ticked.

This is infuriating cos this has a massive effect on anyone who has spent their many years adjusting to a mouse acceleration curve.

Comment

I haven't been too worried about it since the netcode is so atrocious now, that even when my mouse does go where I want it to, I don't register hits anyways. This has also had me in no hurry to upgrade, move into 10, and see how my elcom drivers work there, and if I don't have to hack in an acceleration curve again.

I can't imagine why they would inhibit something as standard as that "enhanced pointer precision" curve from being directly injected into the game. Gotta just be a #prealpha thing.
                An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Problem would be solved if they added DirectInput option like is a pretty standard input implementation in any game part of DirectX api which I guess has been part of previous UTs too. Who knows, it might even handle input better than this "raw input" currently taking place.

Sometimes I get devs are too stuck up to adding their own implementation into an engine, there's no need to rebuild the wheel from scratch. From my experience the current input implementation is way too much tied into current CPU load/FPS load, it behaves as if input is prioritized lower down the chain after AI, network prediction etc.
                  Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 11-21-2016, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Indeed, in case of significant fps drops, the mouse feels unresponsive while we could play UT99 at 60fps with perfect mouse input.

Computer and development have sometimes mysterious ways.
                    Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
                    https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
                    http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
                    Discord PUG Community

Comment

Most people use USB input devices now, which inherently ties them to CPU usage. PS2 mouses didn't have that problem. You can help this by adjusting polling rates for the interface.

It's also possible that raw input makes for easier external aiming assistance, and that's why they are avoiding it.

Comment

So Epic are you guys gonna fix this mouse acceleration thing or just keep ignoring it? would sure be nice to know instead of being ignored every time

Comment

Fix this please................................................................................

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                            Problem would be solved if they added DirectInput option like is a pretty standard input implementation in any game part of DirectX api which I guess has been part of previous UTs too. Who knows, it might even handle input better than this "raw input" currently taking place.

Sometimes I get devs are too stuck up to adding their own implementation into an engine, there's no need to rebuild the wheel from scratch. From my experience the current input implementation is way too much tied into current CPU load/FPS load, it behaves as if input is prioritized lower down the chain after AI, network prediction etc.
                            Indeed, this can be experienced when you put the "stat fps" up and check your rendering speed. As the options are turned on the rendering speed slows (in my case from 5 or 6ms to 12 or 13ms) and the input lag becomes quite obvious - even when FPS are still above 90 or 100.
                            Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Ah, I came back to this thread to post the blogspot link that joellll already posted. Finally got a new system with 10 up, and haven't had much time to mess with it. I will not be able to play until I get it figured out again, though, because lol.

I'd be content to make a custom curve that's just close to the MS one even if I have to bs a cap. I found a blog that graphs it, and it looks simple enough. Here: http://mouseaccel.blogspot.com/2015/...eleration.html

I don't see why any customizable set up couldn't mimic it, though my current desktop curve doesn't feel like that first graph. This could be because the curve has been updated (or his assessment was bad).

If it can be done, this one of a series of interlinked esreality posts probably has the info. This one in particular has a lot of info.

http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1945096

A lot more work than a "Direct Input" check box. Between this and the terrible weapon groups though, I'm losing motivation. Hopefully going back to one gun one weapon will stave off my frustration for a bit. Sucks to feel like you can't control your player in game, but instead your constantly negotiating with the interface.

Comment

Working...
                              X