No announcement yet.

Raw input and mouse acceleration issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intercept is working "fine" for me. As well as I can expect for #prealpha. To the point where I can't tell if the remaining input issues are the game or the intercept.

Tweaked linear curve with 1.6 accel that caps at 5. Tough part is it seems to stack with every other mouse setting, and my elcom drivers don't exactly "override" the windows stuff, so I have them bottomed out, and my in game is like at 1.8 or some such to get it controllable.
    Originally posted by Mysterial
    An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

It takes accel from your mouse driver too? i feel certain it blocks my Logitech driver input, such as logitechs own accel 'enhanced pointer' option, maybe elcom is different? i seem to remember the intercept program needs to be able to have more levels of customisation of the curve for it to be replicable enough but every bit different seems to really mess with the muscle memory.

Comment

It doubles up on the desktop, so to get it manageable there, I have to kind of set the settings against each other. At this point, I barely know if it's the input, the netcode, or the fact that I need to take my trackball apart and clean it thorough, my mouse is not highly predictable anywhere right now. Like, I miss web links, and desktop icons sometimes. Still manage to put up a third with the sniper rifle though, which is lawl.

It's a temporary solution at best. I don't see this game going beta without directinput, so it's just a matter of time.
        An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

I thought it already had DirectInput? Who said it didn't?
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Not even sure now. I also heard a buddy of mine with the same trackball was not having problems with the driver translating the WEPP curve into his games like mine was. I might need to just try it again, I think I've swapped my OS since then.

Also, to be fair, I'm not sure if directinput was fully responsible for the task prior, as I usually had to have a hardware manufacturer utility installed that had an option to "use windows mouse settings in game."

TBH I'm just not super motivated to make it work, as I'm not happy playing the game. More inclined to just uninstall intercept, and UT4, and pick up something else. All my friends are still playing Overwatch...

Comment

Wait, did I just read you play UT with a trackball?

Comment

All games, desktop, and everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
                  I haven't been too worried about it since the netcode is so atrocious now, that even when my mouse does go where I want it to, I don't register hits anyways. This has also had me in no hurry to upgrade, move into 10, and see how my elcom drivers work there, and if I don't have to hack in an acceleration curve again.

I can't imagine why they would inhibit something as standard as that "enhanced pointer precision" curve from being directly injected into the game. Gotta just be a #prealpha thing.
                  lol, yeah I reckon that's higher priority to get fixed than the subject of this thread.

Comment

Okay, so apparently they got in game acceleration working. I tried rearranging some things because I was getting fed up re-learning bs custom curves I know I'll abandon when I can get my WEPP curve back, and couldn't get setpoint game implementation to work even with my old trackball. So I tried the in game stuff again for giggles. UT4 seems to recognize my extra buttons, even without the elecom software installed, which means I don't need elecom mouseassistant, or logitech setpoint installed, unless I have other, application specific issues arise.

It seems to work pretty consistently regardless of what manufacturer specific software I use. The game seems to ignore the WEPP or Logitech accelleration, and overwrite with it's own. It also seems a bit smoother, the intercept software seemed to work on top of whatever else was installed, so I had all my CPL settings bottomed out, and was using an in game sense of like .25, and still felt like I was zooming all over the place.

Now I use a normal sensitivity setting for my desktop, WEPP curve on the desktop, and a in game sense of 3, which ignores the WEPP curve, then apply the in game acceleration of like 0.7, with a max of 6 (never want more than double, usually shoot for the range to be slow ball turn for 90º, fast for 180º). Curve feels linear.

Obviously settings specific mileage will vary, with mouse DPS, medium, etc. It's not the WEPP curve, but it's the best feeling mouse movement I've had in this game thus far. Really helps you to feel how muddy the mouse input it, when it at least travels the distance you want it to. I may now drop some graphics settings, to see if I can reduce the lag a bit. It's not much, but it's enough. Now wondering if that's helping the collision sync, animation, and netcode issues with making my 24 pings feel like 80.

Comment

I am still bouncing between custom curves and finding absolutely non that feel like Windows enhanced pointer, please turn Direct input on so i can use windows own curve, in UT4 and Fortnite

Comment

I think it might be on Microsoft's side. DirectX uses Xinput now, and not Dinput, and it is mostly made for controllers, so it doesn't inject the same. I've seen hacks and applets that claim to be able to modify what and how xinput injects input, but wasn't motivated enough by the game to follow through. I also didn't try to find legacy Dinput drivers, and get those going. There's little documentation on this, as apparently the more popular move is trying to get your software to NOT inject your desktop sensitivity and acceleration, so they can go raw input and do all the config in game. So you can't even search for it without getting a bunch of hits on how to do the very opposite thing you are trying to do.

Comment

Mouse smoothing interpolates mouse input to smooth out cursor movement in the case that you are skipping pixels. This setting as I understand it is of no benefit at all if you are not scaling up mouse input which you should not be doing especially when it comes to first person perspective games (though in game it may not matter as it depends on your resolution). If a person needs a faster cursor they should get a mouse with adjustable CPI. There are many such good mice to choose from these days at affordable pricing.

Comment

Working...
                          X