No announcement yet.

Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wondered why so many games save games were being thrown there, security thing. Some of that seems overkill protection, I run AVG and I find I have to tell it to ignore this and thats for false virus positives, blah, Windows should be the same.

Comment

1. Whatever account login system exists needs to be as smooth and unobtrusive as possible. I often launch UT3 with intentions of playing only to be met with a gamespy login, at which point I immediately close the game and launch ut99 or 2k4 instead.

2. Don't require steam or any other 3rd party DRM service to run. This only introduces unnecessary problems and turns off potential players. That being said it's a good idea to allow people to install it through steam as an alternate means of gathering new players / advertisement / content delivery, so long as it remains optional.

3. Provide adequate error reports on crash. I remember ut2004 being good at this, but source engine games never give you an error message on crash. This helps a lot when asking for help on forums and gives you something to google search for.

4. If there is a filter enabled by default, make new players aware that it exists and let them know that they can turn it off to see a greater variety of games. I'm pretty sure ut2004 defaults to having a 'standard games only' filter enabled that new players often overlook which greatly hurts any server with even lite non gameplay affecting mods.

5. Make it easy to join games by IP. This makes lan'ing or running private small scale games much easier. A lot of times the way ports are set up you won't be able to see the server but you can still join it if you know the IP.

(well ok.. some of these requests aren't exactly tiny)

Comment

I edited the list on the first post and will continue to do so. Keep thinking.. (:
        Last edited by Tycerax; 11-10-2014, 08:54 AM.
        Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Originally posted by Tycerax View Post

6 - User Folder In The Game Directory (can it be done?)
          We have to consider the people that will carry the game on the USB and saving user settings in the "My Documents" is just additional work for the player. If we can, the settings should be in the same directory as the game.
          At least i want to install custom mods and maps in the game directory (Example Drive: D) , not in "my documents" like it is in UT3 , I want to keep Drive:C clean as possible space wise.
          I personally don't mind .ini files to be saved there.
          --=:downshift:=--

Comment

1 - Totally Skippable Opening Logos and Cutscenes
            That should be a no brainer but no game in history should have unskippable movies, logos, cutscenes, whatever. There even should be an "Skip All Cutscenes" option in the menu like Diablo 3.
            I'd actually go one further and say remove logo cutsenes altogether. I absolutely hate the trend that started in the early/mid 2000's, and persists to this day, where **** near every game makes me either sit through or skip through 3 or 4 different company logos. Developer, publisher, some tech companies (I'm looking at you, nVidia), etc.

Unreal and Unreal Tournament did it right.
            also known as Humphro

Comment

these are all fantastic points.

I think we should be able to easily change our alias too, like in the old UT99. I hate being stuck with one name >_< . simple quick player setups

Comment

Originally posted by merex View Post
                1. Whatever account login system exists needs to be as smooth and unobtrusive as possible. I often launch UT3 with intentions of playing only to be met with a gamespy login, at which point I immediately close the game and launch ut99 or 2k4 instead.
                This got me too. I tried to start ut3 again, and that login and main menu system just completely turned me off it again.

Comment

Pretty much all of this is good.
                  Flak M0nk3y 4 Life

Comment

Originally posted by simonc021 View Post
                    these are all fantastic points.

I think we should be able to easily change our alias too, like in the old UT99. I hate being stuck with one name >_< . simple quick player setups
                    Added with a bonus feature. (:
                    Last edited by Tycerax; 11-10-2014, 08:55 AM.
                    Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Push-to-Talk exclusively in unranked. It will save a ton of bad feeling, (and potentially bad press) to just lead right out with that. I would preface the opinion by stating that server admins should have the option to enable open mics.
                      The reason being, that in a more exclusive environment that's managed by the admins (their house, their rules seems fine - that should at least serve as some barrier, and give people options.)
                      Regretfully, open mics have proven themselves too often a blight to console FPS, sentiment (where expressed) seems to be that it puts people off playing, and times have changed to where as part of the game's design, we need to think about offering the best experience possible to ALL players.
                      Last edited by Spinarax; 05-22-2014, 07:04 AM.

Comment

It looks like there's at least some overlap between this thread and my community-building one. Might be worth taking a look at to expand your list: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...iding-Features
                        I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

Originally posted by BoboTheBrave View Post
                          It looks like there's at least some overlap between this thread and my community-building one. Might be worth taking a look at to expand your list: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...iding-Features
                          Condensed and added. (:
                          Last edited by Tycerax; 11-10-2014, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinarax View Post
                            Push-to-Talk exclusively in unranked. It will save a ton of bad feeling, (and potentially bad press) to just lead right out with that. I would preface the opinion by stating that server admins should have the option to enable open mics.
                            The reason being, that in a more exclusive environment that's managed by the admins (their house, their rules seems fine - that should at least serve as some barrier, and give people options.)
                            Regretfully, open mics have proven themselves too often a blight to console FPS, sentiment (where expressed) seems to be that it puts people off playing, and times have changed to where as part of the game's design, we need to think about offering the best experience possible to ALL players.
                            I don't know what you just said but I feel the jist is that you want people to control how your microphone function works instead of you controlling that and that is a terrible idea.

Voice chat should be unrestricted and the only thing up to the server is who is/isn't muted, and if alltalk is on/off.
                            Flak M0nk3y 4 Life

Comment

Originally posted by SpitShine Tommy View Post
                              I don't know what you just said but I feel the jist is that you want people to control how your microphone function works instead of you controlling that and that is a terrible idea.

Voice chat should be unrestricted and the only thing up to the server is who is/isn't muted, and if alltalk is on/off.
                              No. When you want to say something, you hold a key and say your piece, then when you let go, the mic function ends. Is push-to-talk really such an unknown concept?

As I said - push-to-talk exclusively in unranked/public servers. Server admins to decide on their own watch.

You keep mute lists clearer; initial (and ongoing) perception of the game improves; players would know that they can enjoy voice functionality in an uncluttered environment, largely devoid of background noise.
                              Open mics would be the worse decision, given the shape of the gaming environment today.
                              By setting PTT, you can lose the majority of the bad behaviour brought in by modern gamers simply, and at no cost to competitive/clan play!

Muting's what you do when you're already fed up.
                              Why should that be the initial response? By not using PTT, you're saying that it's perfectly fine to have people annoyed early on in their time with UT. Why not just eliminate most of the bs by design, and leave players a)free to enjoy the game b) the further option to mute if necessary?
                              It's a bit surprising that I'm posting this in a thread about tiny details, whereas to a lot of people, it is considered a significant bugbear.
                              Last edited by Spinarax; 05-23-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I absolutely +1 everything on this list. (though not all may be considered 'small' to implement)

Sort of borrowing on 20. : adding friends with wildcards. Got to know a friendly clan tagged [AB] and you want to add all members to your friend list? Just add "[AB]*" (without the brackets) to the list.

Easter eggs in maps. Not always to give you hidden power-ups, but sometimes "just because" (like that hidden portrait in DM-Codex).
                                My UT threads (latest: my take on defensive items, poll on the melee weapon's alt fire and My take on the storyline)

Comment

Working...
                                X