Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten

Everybody here has a general idea or suggestions when it comes to these details that only will be visible during a rage moment or so but I'd like to point out early so the design and/or mechanics would be in the same page as them. Remember, these are the tiniest details that can be done easily but when they aren't, they can be a nuisance. Let's start.. (:

1 - Totally Skippable Opening Logos and Cutscenes
    That should be a no brainer but no game in history should have unskippable movies, logos, cutscenes, whatever. There even should be an "Skip All Cutscenes" option in the menu like Diablo 3.

2 - Extensive Options
    Using Unreal Engine 4, we can have a huge amount of things going on screen at once. And every one of them should be adjustable and/or turned off in the options menu. That includes AA, FOV, VSync, Colorblind Mode, Frame Rate, Particle Effects, etc. The menu should be enough to let us forget the ini file.

3 - Customizable and Saveable Filter Options
    Filters are good but with all of the modding that UT4 will have, this may be a crucial thing to have. Let us save our own, customized filters to not adjust them over and over again. This can be a huge timesaver.

3.5 - Extensive Filter Options (Thanks Psychomorph)
    We should filter servers for their names, player sizes, location (by choosing the region and/or country), map circulations, gametypes, mutators, mods, rating, ping (and an Average Player Ping (APP)), bot difficulty (if bots on server), friends (which server are they now?), competitive/casual, past connections, etc.

4 - Fully Rebindable Keys For Everything In The Game
    Again, this would be an easy thing to do: We should be able to rebind all of the key layout. Additionally we can have secondary layouts, the option to save and export them.

5 - Ability to Turn On/Off or Adjust Mouse Acceleration
    By default, it should be turned off.

6 - User Folder In The Game Directory (can it be done?)
    We have to consider the people that will carry the game on the USB and saving user settings in the "My Documents" is just additional work for the player. If we can, the settings should be in the same directory as the game.

7 - Seperately Adjustable Audio Options
    Voice, Music, Weapons, Announcer, Ambient, Character and Master settings should be on the Audio Options as well as Speaker Setup (heck, I'd like to adjust the positons of my speakers), Quality, Announcer Type, Mature Filter and Auto-Taunt.

8 - Infinite Muted or Blocked Player List
    My Diablo 3 block list is full and this annoys me more than it should be.

9 - "Export (Multiple) Mod", "Disable Mod" and "Delete Mod" Options

10 - Ability to Add Very Specific Things to the Main Menu
    I'd like to customize my Menu (and HUD) for sure but the ability to add, let's say, a filter option that I save and the ability to go straight to it via one click is a good thing to have.

I'll add more if I can come up with more. (:

11 - Player Muting (VOIP) (Thanks sanch3z.)
    The ability to mute VOIP on player basis. And a "Mute All" option.

12 - Easy to Use Login System. (Thanks merex)
    Login should be almost non-existent to our eyes.

13 - No Mandatory 3rd Party Services (Steam, Origin, etc.) (Thanks merex)
    This only introduces unnecessary problems and turns off potential players. That being said it's a good idea to allow people to install it through Steam as an alternate means of gathering new players / advertisement / content delivery, so long as it remains optional.

14 - Detailed Error Reports (Thanks merex)
    We should figure it out ourselves (or to google it easier) (or search in the forums easier).

15 - One-time notification about the important (but easy to miss) settings (filter etc.) (Thanks merex)

16 - Easy to Login/Host via IP. (Thanks merex)

16.5 - Easy to Use but Detailed Multiplayer Matchmaking/Hosting and Joining.

17 - Changeable Profile Names & Aliases/Nicknames (Thanks simonc021)
    An "Alias History" like Steam's is most welcome too (A quick list titled "Formerly Known As" will do the trick). Bonus points, if the list shows the most "famous" nicks (most games played with) first. (:

18 - Ability to Rate Servers (Thanks VampireJesus)

19 - Extensive Friend List Options (Thanks BoboTheBrave)
    "Online, Away, Busy and Invisible". Also attaching small notes to individual players to remember things about them. Sending friend invites via post-game screen and "Previous Games" section of our profile. Muting & blocking people via chat & GUI (Scoreboard).

20 - Clans & Clan Tags (like Diablo 3) (Thanks BoboTheBrave & Laokin)
    A Clan page/section on the menu would be nice. Here, a clan-specific chatroom, calendar, roster, clan/player position, ELO rating stats, in-clan custom tournament options, and many more... Hierarchy may look like this: Founder - Leader - Admins & Moderators - Common Folk (:

20.5 - "Friendly Clan" option and ability to add all of the clan members as friend. (Thanks Taleweaver)

21 - Ability to Report Players and Clans
    Like League of Legends' Tribunal, we may need our own system to evaluate bad behaviour, the use of curses and slangs, cheating, etc.

22 - Fully customizable HUD (Thanks Dalyup)

23 - Ability to Favourite (and Dislike) Maps & Mutators (Thanks rejecht)
    We should be able to mark our "beloved" maps & mutators so the server browser and matchmaking can prioritize them when searching. Same goes for the Dislike option where the server browser and matchmaking avoids them.

24 - Ability to Find Maps In-Match via Typing (Thanks rejecht)
    To relieve the frustration of looking for a specific map among hundreds (for map-vote), this is a huge thing.

25 - Extensive and Expandable Demo Recording & Sharing Options (Thanks Jay22)
    We should record our games automatically or in the post-game screen or via one click while playing. And we should be able to expand our demo recording abilities via mods. And again, it should be extremely easy to share these (an online repository for demos?).

26 - Optional Country Flags at the Scoreboard (Thanks Jay22)
    It wouldn't harm anybody. (:

27 - Low Detail Environments (Thanks Forge)
    With the game being free, my expectation is that there will be many varieties of players, from hardcore to casual. As such, hardware will also vary greatly, from notebooks with integrated chips to full-blown multi-GPU desktops. So adding an option to play in a non-dynamic (as in lightning and other eye-candy variables turned off) arena would a logical step.

28 - Power Saving Mode (Laptop Mode) (Thanks the_lc)
    Low details, low power consumption, longer battery life. In one single click. Handy. (:
    Last edited by Tycerax; 11-10-2014, 08:54 AM. Reason: Adding more & more details!! (: Comment if you come up with something! :)
    Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

I agree with this. The option to have menus be as complex or as simple as you need them to be as an individual player is important.

Also agree with the skip-able cut-scenes is a great idea. I remember how annoying the U2 intro could be at times when you just wanted to play.

Comment

Tweak it, baby, tweak it! Yeah, that's right!
      Last edited by CT007; 05-19-2014, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tycerax View Post
        4 - Fully Rebindable Keys For Everything In The Game
        Again, this would be an easy thing to do: We should be able to rebind all of the key layout. Additionally we can have secondary layouts, the option to save and export them.
        Including binding more than one action to the same key!
        DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

6 - User Folder In The Game Directory
          We have to consider the people that will carry the game on the USB and saving user settings in the "My Documents" is just additional work for the player. If we can, the settings should be in the same directory as the game.
          Technically impossible since Windows does not allow writing to application folders for non-admin users by default.
          This is the reason all games need to use My Documents.

Comment

Make sure we can still access the console from ingame. When operating as an admin in game, having quick and fast console access is a must.
            PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by Spiny View Post
              Technically impossible since Windows does not allow writing to application folders for non-admin users by default.
              Exactly. You can override it with -nohomedir, though.
              Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
              "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
              Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

To piggyback on what others are saying, I'd say that it's imperative that the development team makes sure that this game isn't released until it's beyond ready. You can wait a year after it's ready just to make good and sure it's ready, just make sure it's ready. It will be a huge mistake to release the game too early.
                Purveyor of Unreal Tournament.

<khxmz> thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have nvz, not asking your favorite game developer for more hats

Comment

He probably means "pipedswitchweapon 1 | pipedswitchweapon 4" in UT2k4
                  And "Switchweapon 7 | Switchweapon 9" in UT99
                  This is the absolute ONLY thing UT ini scripting beats Quake cfg scripting at.

Very valuable. I've used it for over 14 years now.
                  I've mapped all my weapons my mouse buttons. Every button has two weapons, in the correct priority. One of them has three, actually. It always selects the higher priority weapon, unless its out of ammo - in which case it moves to the second priority one, etc. If I tap the button twice, it selects the weapon in second priority.

Comment

a mute option to use on other players would be nice if there is VOIP.. Nothing worse than have some dumb kid playing Justin Beiber songs over VOIP in game just to be annoying.
                    DANG YOU UT2K4 KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Comment

Originally posted by sanch3z View Post
                      a mute option to use on other players would be nice if there is VOIP.. Nothing worse than have some dumb kid playing Justin Beiber songs over VOIP in game just to be annoying.
                      Bad memories of CoD...
                      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Wow, this thread is a perfect summary of customization options for the game!

But I think sanch3z named the most important one: Being able to mute (all) VOIP channels.
                        S l y .

Comment

I see it releaseable at a certain point, but I expect it to be morphable, obvious new content and updates, its just to be expected. It may need an online portal of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by sanch3z View Post
                            Not sure if it's worth using up developer bandwidth on VOIP since there are so many third party solutions.
                            Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

I may be totally wrong, but isn't this specific to protected locations like "Program Files." So if the default destination for the game were, say, "C:\Games\Unreal Tournament\," then this wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X