Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic Games Launcher downloads entire game instead of updating.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Games Launcher downloads entire game instead of updating.

I don't know if it's a good place for it.

So, my Epic Games Launcher downloads entire game from scratch every update. I was playing this rarely but basically every time I wanted to run this game after a break I had to download ~5GB+ of files. I don't have that fast internet connection so it's quite problematic so I just simply gave up.
    Is there a way to fix it?

If you play it once a month or so, you're likely playing it between updates, as the game updates roughly every 3-5 weeks. There's no way to fix this, as older version are incompatible and you always need a up-to-date version to play. You can leave the launcher running - that way it will auto-update the game when the update goes live, so you don't have to wait the next you get to play.
    "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
    - RenegadeRetard

Comment

I'm in the same boat, I hate having to download the whole thing on a not-superfast-connection (I try to check out the latest build once or twice a month, but the 16+ hour download with the computer/videocard running full-speed the entire time is terrible). Wouldn't leaving the launcher open make my system "run hot" all the time, or does it minimize OK and download in the background? As it is now, every time I open the launcher the fans in my computer run-up to full speed as if its trying to play the game, but all its really running is the advertisements for the other games... I wish there was some way to disable the background launcher tasks that make my GPU run full speed.

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
        If you play it once a month or so, you're likely playing it between updates, as the game updates roughly every 3-5 weeks. There's no way to fix this, as older version are incompatible and you always need a up-to-date version to play. You can leave the launcher running - that way it will auto-update the game when the update goes live, so you don't have to wait the next you get to play.
        But it's not just a problem with the fact that I have to wait before I can play. Also it's the problem with the fact that the game downloads 5GB+ of files every time the update hits and it means hours of almost no internet connection(because downloading takes entire bandwidth). Downloading that amount of files in my house is going to basically deny the internet connection for everyone using it for hours also because launcher has no option to limit downloading speed. I know that update means that old version is incompatible but all other games are just downloading changed/added files, not everything from scratch. It should force me to download maybe ~100-200MB of files, not everything again. Keeping launcher open would mean even more problems because with the amount of time I have, I would download 5GB+ few times before wanting to play the game.
        Last edited by Gon009; 03-05-2017, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gon009 View Post
          But it's not just a problem with the fact that I have to wait before I can play. Also it's the problem with the fact that the game downloads 5GB+ of files every time the update hits and it means hours of almost no internet connection(because downloading takes entire bandwidth). Downloading that amount of files in my house is going to basically deny the internet connection for everyone using it for hours also because launcher has no option to limit downloading speed. I know that update means that old version is incompatible but all other games are just downloading changed/added files, not everything from scratch. It should force me to download maybe ~100-200MB of files, not everything again. Keeping launcher open would mean even more problems because with the amount of time I have, I would download 5GB+ few times before wanting to play the game.

aren't the first person arms the same as the 3rd person model? I asked Yemyam about this ages ago, and at the time it was supposed to be the same...

Comment

Working...
          X