Request for New UT: Seamless Portals - Everything You Need To Know

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by InVader View Post
    Well this seems to be good map design. It might not always work out well though.

Btw. isn't this Nexuiz?
    Xonotic is a fork of Nexuiz.
    Contact me: (Steam: Neillithan) (E-mail: neilvmoore@gmail.com)

Comment

Originally posted by TourianTourist View Post
      The seamless portals in Xonotic were one of the biggest "wow!" effects of the game. You can even make it so that you don't notice the portal at all and create crazy map layouts using this technique. Xonotic is open source, so I can only advice everyone to check it out! The map "Glowplant" uses the real seamless portals. Or check out the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOrUJsg7DB8

It's perfect for the new UT!
      That is seriously cool. This is what I would like to see in the new UT.

Comment

Originally posted by TourianTourist View Post
        The seamless portals in Xonotic were one of the biggest "wow!" effects of the game. You can even make it so that you don't notice the portal at all and create crazy map layouts using this technique. Xonotic is open source, so I can only advice everyone to check it out! The map "Glowplant" uses the real seamless portals. Or check out the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOrUJsg7DB8

It's perfect for the new UT!

That is so disconcerting... but I absolutely love the fact that crazy things like endless staircases can be made from these.

Comment

I would definitely like to see portals in UT. It's one more tool that mappers can use to create interesting environments, and I don't really see the argument that they can be misused/overused as valid, because, really, that's any mapping feature ever, and it should be up to the individual level designer how to build their map, and up to the community whether it's worth playing.

Comment

I love the idea of seamless portals, they open up so many gameplay options, I hope this gets considered
            :|

Comment

This OP was a lot of text just to say "I want portals".
              I doubt it's even considerable when you see limited in size is the dev team, but it'd sure be nice to have.

Comment

I've been touting this for a while now. Seemless portals just make much more sense than the classic style portal. It discourages things like piston camping and makes maps much more fun rather than a hide-and-seek match.

Perfect example is Liandri from UT99. The map is otherwise a great 1v1 map but the portals allow for escapes and stalemates that make it too slow and boring. Turn the portals into seemless portals and suddenly belt is not so easy to lock down nor can it be so easily used as an escape.
                -diff`lx

Comment

So you can kill yourself with headshot, right?
                  Interesting idea, but it needs to redevelop portals completely. Can anyone from community do it for test version?
                  Last edited by bmx1221; 10-12-2014, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I'd be interested in maps that had dynamic portals that can change, for DM, Domination or CTF...so sometimes there is a quicker route to a certain locations that opens up and sometimes it closed off...and this would make timing and map control kinda more lively. I haven't thought about how exactly you would do it.

Though, I wouldn't want it to be a portal gun like Portal with infinite portal jumping, I think that's not fun outside of the context of a puzzle game, and its a bit too much like translocating everywhere.

Comment

Seamless portals are not even close to new to UT but more than welcome back.

Comment

I wonder if any Epic devs have seen this thread?

Comment

I would love to have portals though the chances of that happening any time soon are probably slim to none. To get proper portals (i.e. Unreal1 style - not just the UT3 workaround variant) in the game would be a major engineering effort and require resources the UT team simply doesn't have. Unless it somehow becomes a priority for the Engine Team I don't really see it happening (and there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to getting engine support for UT).

At this time I think your best bet would be to peruse the UE4 forums and/or find a community wizard with the time and knowledge to implement it (though I have limited understanding of the actual technical scope and not sure how feasible that really is either).

I can ask around but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Comment

Seamless Portals ofc!!! and that gravity stuff like in Prey

Comment

Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
                              I would love to have portals though the chances of that happening any time soon are probably slim to none. To get proper portals (i.e. Unreal1 style - not just the UT3 workaround variant) in the game would be a major engineering effort and require resources the UT team simply doesn't have. Unless it somehow becomes a priority for the Engine Team I don't really see it happening (and there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to getting engine support for UT).

At this time I think your best bet would be to peruse the UE4 forums and/or find a community wizard with the time and knowledge to implement it (though I have limited understanding of the actual technical scope and not sure how feasible that really is either).

I can ask around but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
                              Thanks for the response, and I understand now that it would be a major task that simply isn't very high up in terms of priorities. While it would definitely be a very cool addition to UT, and would open up really awesome mapping possibilities, I wouldn't want to slow down the development of much more important things.

-Neil (CaptainMigraine)

Comment

Just fixing the issues with not being able to set a fixed player pawn rotation on exit of the current teleporter would be a halfway measure.

Comment

Working...
                                X