"Charge Up" the Translocator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Charge Up" the Translocator

This is by far the most balanced and innovative way to give the translocator a place again in the Unreal franchise. The sheer complexity of a two style trans will create some of the most competitive and entertaining matches in whatever mods have it (obviously CTF). Honestly, this idea is as good of an idea as the shock combo.

Comment

Just for clarification I'm assuming when you press primary you then press the secondary to teleport and primary to pull it back if you don't teleport?
      Then when you hold secondary and release the disk you press secondary again to teleport and primary to pull it back when you don't teleport?
      Last edited by Esula; 08-18-2014, 04:14 AM.
      [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
      [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration
      http://i.imgur.com/X56QWQA.png

Comment

Originally posted by Esula View Post
        Just for clarification I'm assuming when you press primary you then press the secondary to teleport and primary to pull it back if you don't teleport? Then when you hold secondary and release the disk you press secondary again to teleport and primary to pull it back when you don't teleport?
        That is correct.

Comment

Sounds reasonable. A charged Translocator for close range, but an indefinite charge Trans for going great distances. Avoids tele-training because of the charge, yet still has indefinite charges.

Only question I have is: What happens when the primary fire runs out of charges? Does the primary fire not work, or both?
          Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
          Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
          Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
          --Captain Crit

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crit View Post
            Sounds reasonable. A charged Translocator for close range, but an indefinite charge Trans for going great distances. Avoids tele-training because of the charge, yet still has indefinite charges.

Only question I have is: What happens when the primary fire runs out of charges? Does the primary fire not work, or both?
            This is a topic that has come up with charges running out in general. The following could be options:

A) The primary simply no longer works
            B) The primary works, but you take -10 damage per extra throw beyond the charge limit
            C) You receive more damage than usual if you get hit by an enemy if you are beyond the charge limit.

Though, you would still be able to use the secondary throw without any penalty.

Comment

I don't get it.

You hold down the Primary Fire button for 1.5 seconds? That's a lot! So while secondary Translocator is supposed to work for long distances, you won't be able to use it continuously, since you will have to wait for 1.5 seconds in-between teleports? That is.. not unlimited, it just sounds like a charge to me. Am I missing something?

When I first read the title of your post, I was assuming "Secondary Translocator" would work with the secondary fire, like this:

Primary Fire:
              if disc is not thrown: Shoot UT99/UT3 disc (with charges)
              if disc is thrown: recall any disc

Secondary Fire:
              if disc is not thrown: Shoot UT2004 disc (without charges)
              if disc is thrown: teleport to any disc.

This way you wouldn't have to hold any button in order to change mode.
              Last edited by FliccC; 08-17-2014, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FliccC View Post
                I don't get it.

You hold down the Primary Fire button for 1.5 seconds? That's a lot! So while secondary Translocator is supposed to work for long distances, you won't be able to use it continuously, since you will have to wait for 1.5 seconds in-between teleports? That is.. not unlimited, it just sounds like a charge to me. Am I missing something?

When I first read the title of your post, I was assuming "Secondary Translocator" would work with the secondary fire, like this:

Primary Fire:

Secondary Fire:

There are different ways of doing it. It would be a matter of play testing to see which feels the best. You could be right, 1.5 seconds might be too long of a hold time. That is obviously a setting that could be tweaked. Maybe 0.5 seconds would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by FliccC View Post
                  I don't get it.

Primary Fire:

Secondary Fire:

This would mean that translocating would need to be bound to a different key altogether - which shouldn't be a problem per se.

The idea presented here sounds interesting and I'd like to see it tested out, perhaps Epic or someone can create the prototype? It's something that is definitely worthy of entertaining a proof of concept and see how well it works. In theory it could, but there could also be problems so the only way is to find out.

Steve Polge or Joe Wilcox, any input here?
                  irc.globalgamers.net | #2k4ctf |#ut4pugs | #unrealtournament | Ownedwell.com | UT2004 Grail

Comment

Originally posted by xios View Post
                    This would mean that translocating would need to be bound to a different key altogether - which shouldn't be a problem per se.

The idea presented here sounds interesting and I'd like to see it tested out, perhaps Epic or someone can create the prototype? It's something that is definitely worthy of entertaining a proof of concept and see how well it works. In theory it could, but there could also be problems so the only way is to find out.

Yeah, translocating bound to a different key wouldn't be widely accepted by most. That's why the "charge" idea seems to be more ideal at the moment at least. It works just like a normal translocator.
                    Last edited by sLY1838; 08-17-2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xios View Post

I wholeheartedly agree that this concept is a solid idea that is worth exploring as it bridges the gap between the 2k4 and 99 translocators and only adds to its movement versatility. It could be that "middle ground" we've all been searching for. This idea could also give mapmakers a lot more freedom with the scaling and size of their maps as this trans would allow for both precise and long distance translocating.
                      Last edited by m3ss; 08-17-2014, 08:58 PM.
                      Former CEVO-TV CS:GO Commentator (CEVO)
                      Owned Well Co-Founder/Commentator
                      Major League Unreal Tournament Co-Founder
                      Twitch.TV | YouTube | Twitter

Comment

What exactly does this implementation solve over the current implementation? Given that the current recharge rate is 1 second, and this idea is suggesting a throw charge time of 1.5, the only thing this implementation actually does is nerf long range traversal. Plus it adds complicated and confusing control scheme on top of it to boot.

I'd prefer that the distances and speed that the TL goes be consistent so that you can predict where the disk is going to land.
                        Last edited by TheWhiteDragon; 08-17-2014, 09:22 PM.
                        BeyondUnreal Podcast
                        r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
                          What exactly does this implementation solve over the current implementation? Given that the current recharge rate is 1 second, and this idea is suggesting a throw charge time of 1.5, the only thing this implementation actually does is nerf long range traversal. Plus it adds complicated and confusing control scheme on top of it to boot.
                          Surely you are soon to receive an infraction for trolling every post that I make. Rather than troll, let's try to have a productive conversation to a very important issue for the hopeful success of this game.

First off, you didn't comprehend the 1.5 second idea very clearly. The 1.5 second is a setting (that could be tweaked) that initiates the long throw ability. Essentially you are simply holding down the translocator throw button. The longer you hold the button down, the farther the disc goes. This reduces the amount of throws necessary when translocating through open parts of a map.

Secondly, there would be a throw limit on the primary disc. This will prevent what others feel can be abused if there is no limit.

So to answer your question, this allows you to easily navigate through a map, while also being able to go for telefrag and cut quick corners without having to worry about running out of disc throws. The limit would simply come in to play only when someone is going overboard with the translocator (which is the whole point).

Lastly, there is nothing complicated to it. You simply throw your disc and translocate like you always have. Only this time, you can also hold down the button to make it throw farther if you wish to do so. It just takes time to load up the throw.

This forum is designed to share ideas and give constructive feedback. Please be more productive and respectful with your posts.

Comment

I would prefer the chargeup time reduced to some value around .5-.75 seconds, rather than 1.5. Promotes far distance travel by having the minimum charge time shorter than an actual recharge time.
                            Change for the worse, and you regret every moment.
                            Change for the better, and you can't live without it.
                            Having the will to embrace change is the real challenge.
                            --Captain Crit

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crit View Post
                              I would prefer the chargeup time reduced to some value around .5-.75 seconds, rather than 1.5. Promotes far distance travel by having the minimum charge time shorter than an actual recharge time.
                              Sounds good with me. I didn't put much thought into the charge-up delay. Perhaps 0.5 would be a better starting point to test from.

Comment

Working...
                              X