No announcement yet.

More Dynamic Maps - More Scripted Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's totally my opinion, too. I would also want the new maps to be loaded with cool scripted features and being dynamic in a somewhat gameplay affecting way. But visual-dynamics-only-maps would be a good solution to keep a 'next gen visual' for all maps while still keeping the possibility for some good old classic, static maps to remake. Who doesn't have a map he'd like to see return in the new UT?

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Bring back classic CTF maps like Lucious, Mcswartzly minor tweaks needed, many many stalemate games played, I miss those days a good map is where there is no lopsided advantage to any team, over 2 hours played on Lucious on Skippers Cover many years ago !

Comment

Originally posted by Doomtrooper View Post
        Bring back classic CTF maps like Lucious, Mcswartzly minor tweaks needed, many many stalemate games played, I miss those days a good map is where there is no lopsided advantage to any team, over 2 hours played on Lucious on Skippers Cover many years ago !
        The Cove is gonna be back for this one, baby. Glad you still remember.

Comment

In Kazeo's Flak Thread another dynamic in form of dirt on weapons came up as wish, which I thought must be mentioned even more here in my general new dynamics standards thread!

A really great idea imo, it definitely should be a general "dynamic set dressing" (using the word of FirebornForm )!
          You start with a clean char/weapon and then the environment (specific blueprint-trigger-volumes or such) can make you snowed in, dusty, sandy, dirty,...
          A dive into water makes your cloths and weapons soaked wet but clean again and you'll dry over time again!

Added to my dynamics wishlist!
          • Daytime cycle for landscape maps
          • Dynamic weather effects with visual/map/gameplay impact
          • Char and Weapon abrasion, staining (snow, dirt, dust, sand), rinsing
          • Full usage of ue4's great dynamic material changes by weapons & other events
          • New dynamic and largely interactive featured map concepts

Dynamics make the game more immersive and alive like nothing else, but it can also open unknown new gameplay and tutorial effects!

I always thought it's amazing to see what high challenges BunnyTrails (aka BunnyTracks) maps can impose and that it's sad to see they're unknown and unused by most players. It's also sad how the majority of online players lack the very basic UT movement because they jump straight into online mp and dont waste time on tutorials. BT gameplay wasn't exactly spectacular to watch, all you do there is jumping around a (mostly) static map. A big exception was the (unfinished) map BT-Indiana of a mapper friend of mine by nick Siberio. He was creating a BT map with a huge amount of dynamics. As the map title suggests, it should become a pure adventure map inspired by the Indiana Jones movies with all the classics like rolling stone, stinger secondary shard traps that shoot you dead at the wall when stepping on the wrong pillar, a lot of fire etc.!

That map was a great inspiration to me and I think what we can learn from it - and from BT in general - should be used within online multiplayer maps to teach gameplay fundamentals (instead of offline tutorials most players never do). A great dynamic adventure map full of events and single player challenges can at the same time be a competitive MP map! The needed skills to accomplish the entertaining side features will come in useful for the gametype you play generally or directly by what position/pickup you obtain from it. Such dynamic featured maps would be campaign and tutorial replacement, it would teach and make MP maps fun to play alone (filling up a still empty server)!

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

Originally posted by Borbarad101 View Post
            Or maybe a map where the geometry/layout of the map changes? Constantly morphing into something new and different. Could make for some interesting gameplay.
            Originally posted by threadlock View Post
            I'd love to see this also!
            I wrote that several months ago. I hope you'll like it. (:

Originally posted by Tycerax View Post
            Dynamic arenas?

With dynamic arena I don't mean "destructible arenas"; I mean that, while playing something happens and changes the terrain. For example, let's say the arena is located near a volcano and a river. Sometime later volcano erupts and lava flows into the arenas certain points and follows a certain path. When lava comes, players will be unable to traverse certain paths but at the same time, there will be new paths because when lava gets to the river, there will be another layout in the same game/map. With this, it'll be like playing a new map without leaving one. Maps with multiple "instances" may be selected individually (like Arena1, Arena2...)

Of course, this can be turned off/on as individual settings.
            Thread: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ll=1#post53215
            Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Originally posted by Borbarad101 View Post
              Or maybe a map where the geometry/layout of the map changes? Constantly morphing into something new and different. Could make for some interesting gameplay.
              Timed and/or triggered movers (assuming those terms are still valid in UE4) can do that kind of stuff. There were a few maps with drawbridges and traps activated by buttons. Halls of Redemption (a community map for UT99) had a triggered trap in the amp room which was also a shortcut between 2 sides of the map so it caught more than just players going after the amp. There was a map in either 2k3 or 2k4 with a gimmick walkway that sort of built itself in front of you out of pieces that zoomed into place out of nowhere as you moved along it.

I always wondered why nobody ever took that a step further making movers that would change the layout of the map by opening or closing travel routes, changing elevations, strong points and things like that. The only map I remember that did anything remotely like that was a UT99 map with a drawbridge you could raise and lower by shooting a button to open or close a travel route for a while (the bridge was on a timer so it couldn't just be moved back immediately, you had to wait a while before it could be triggered again).
              Last edited by MoxNix; 02-04-2015, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                I always wondered why nobody ever took that a step further making movers that would change the layout of the map by opening or closing travel routes, changing elevations, strong points and things like that. The only map I remember that did anything remotely like that was a UT99 map with a drawbridge you could raise and lower by shooting a button to open or close a travel route for a while (the bridge was on a timer so it couldn't just be moved back immediately, you had to wait a while before it could be triggered again).
                In UT2004 there was an Onslaught map with a raising and lowering drawbridge. In netplay the behavior was quite odd a lot of the time though.

The other map you mention DM-Reconstruct was quite awesome. But even what Reconstruct does is fairly simplistic. It should be possible to make that effect entirely dynamically now. Or many other things.

One idea that came up the other night was creating a real fire-propagation system in blueprints, possibly as a map feature whereby you could be creating dynamic fiery hazards in real time. (Example used was some kind of fertile grassland, but you could also envision this with a variety of different environments, perhaps some oil-rig with pools of oil leaking everywhere, etc).
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Working...
                X