Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is going to separate UT4 from the other UT games? What unique features to add?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What is going to separate UT4 from the other UT games? What unique features to add?

    I've seen some threads about what we want to see again. Or revisions/compromises of old graphics/mechanics, etc. ...but let's brainstorm. What can be done in UT4 that will make it entirely new, but won't break the classic feel? I'm thinking of something along the line of adrenalin pills, for example; some feature that is new, but not an utter gimmick. Frankly I think we'd all be happy with a solid game that doesn't stray too far from the core, but what will make it new?

    - What entirely new gametypes can be implemented that are appropriate for UT? Honestly I enjoyed the concept of greed, if not the miserable repetition of Lost Cause. What's a new gametype like Greed that would liven up the game?
    - What new buffs can be implemented and how will they be acquired? We'll obviously want double damage, and armor, but beyond that, what?
    - What new map elements do we want to see? Would we want "events" in certain gametypes like that special tornado map they made to show off PhysX?
    - What are some unique ways players could work together in this game that we haven't seen before? Some kind of 2-man buddy system in a new gametype? I have no idea. Throw something out there.

    Just trying to get the mental juices flowing. Let's abandon the old for this thread and think about what could be new...

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

    Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!
    Last edited by BoboTheBrave; 05-10-2014, 04:13 PM.
    I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

    Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

    #2
    More tertiary firing modes for weapons?

    Secondary firing modes was a pretty big deal for UT99 and I think this could be expanded upon even further.

    It's all about the guns: how powerful they feel and how much skill they require to master.

    Would alternate ammo types be too complex and too much like micromanagement in a fast paced arena shooter?
    Dueling Flak Cannons
    We see the shells falling
    Together, we die

    Comment


      #3
      I wouldn't mind a lot of inspiration from painkiller, that game had plenty of nice ideas for movement, weapon mechanics and maps although I'm pretty sure UT would benefit more from staying closer to its original form

      Comment


        #4
        How about a trip wire?

        It alerts you when an enemy passes through it and would cover the entire entrance to an area and be visible to all players. This could be a powerup or cost a resource.

        Enemies would think twice before letting the other player know exactly where they are.

        Comment


          #5
          Something like a trip wire you can put into your level with kismet.

          I think the OP was thinking about more fundamental ways in which the game is played.
          Dueling Flak Cannons
          We see the shells falling
          Together, we die

          Comment


            #6
            Actually I'm thinking exactly about adrenalin combos and adrenalin itself. That was not just fun - to get more and more killing with skill, trying not to break the streak to get the 'HOLY SH*T!' and feel satisfied and full of adrenaline (literally).
            The announcer is VITAL!

            Comment


              #7
              The only thing the new UT needs is the parkour style from Titanfall.

              Comment


                #8
                Dynamic arenas and neutral (and aggresive) world bosses that drop a unique weapon (like on par with a Redeemer)?

                With dynamic arena I don't mean "destructible arenas"; I mean that, while playing something happens and changes the terrain. For example, let's say the arena is located near a volcano and a river. Sometime later volcano erupts and lava flows into the arenas certain points and follows a certain path. When lava comes, players will be unable to traverse certain paths but at the same time, there will be new paths because when lava gets to the river, there will be another layout in the same game/map. With this, it'll be like playing a new map without leaving one. Maps with multiple "instances" may be selected individually (like Arena1, Arena2...)

                World bosses are extremely huge monsters that traverses the arena neutrally. They have a certain hp, does not regenerate, have a high damage output and a grand loot. This loot (weapon or armor) won't be dropped when the player is dead. And all the other players will know you have that weapon/armor and it'll be a high risk/reward getting that item. Bosses will appear at certain milestones or things and maps can have more than one boss available at the start. Appearance of one, zeroes the chance of others so it's one boss per map. Every boss will have a specific loot so players will know how to act to it. Bosses won't attack unless they're attacked, will stop attacking when the player with most aggro dies or stops attacking for a period of time, will be relatively slow & easy to hit. In team modes, killing the world boss may give the team a buff.

                Of course, all of these will be turned off/on as individual settings.
                Last edited by Tycerax; 11-10-2014, 08:56 AM.
                Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

                Comment


                  #9
                  It's all going to be in the levels and the mutators at the end of the day. UT has always been, and should remain a tool kit.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by BoboTheBrave View Post
                    I've seen some threads about what we want to see again. Or revisions/compromises of old graphics/mechanics, etc. ...but let's brainstorm. What can be done in UT4 that will make it entirely new, but won't break the classic feel? I'm thinking of something along the line of adrenalin pills, for example; some feature that is new, but not an utter gimmick. Frankly I think we'd all be happy with a solid game that doesn't stray too far from the core, but what will make it new?

                    - What entirely new gametypes can be implemented that are appropriate for UT? Honestly I enjoyed the concept of greed, if not the miserable repetition of Lost Cause. What's a new gametype like Greed that would liven up the game?
                    - What new buffs can be implemented and how will they be acquired? We'll obviously want double damage, and armor, but beyond that, what?
                    - What new map elements do we want to see? Would we want "events" in certain gametypes like that special tornado map they made to show off PhysX?
                    - What are some unique ways players could work together in this game that we haven't seen before? Some kind of 2-man buddy system in a new gametype? I have no idea. Throw something out there.

                    Just trying to get the mental juices flowing. Let's abandon the old for this thread and think about what could be new.
                    The fact is we are hundred of people deciding for this game, it's very difficult to create something new that characterizes the game and that's good for all. This is the ultimate Unreal Tournament, so i think it will be a sort of Ut2k4-99-3 feature combined together in armony, with new gamemodes maybe, maps and some new weapon.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Tycerax View Post
                      Dynamic arenas and neutral (and aggresive) world bosses that drop a unique weapon (like on par with a Redeemer)?

                      With dynamic arena I don't mean "destructible arenas"; I mean that, while playing something happens and changes the terrain. For example, let's say the arena is located near a volcano and a river. Sometime later volcano erupts and lava flows into the arenas certain points and follows a certain path. When lava comes, players will be unable to traverse certain paths but at the same time, there will be new paths because when lava gets to the river, there will be another layout in the same game/map. With this, it'll be like playing a new map without leaving one. Maps with multiple "instances" may be selected individually (like Arena1, Arena2...)

                      World bosses are extremely huge monsters that traverses the arena neutrally. They have a certain hp, does not regenerate, have a high damage output and a grand loot. This loot (weapon or armor) won't be dropped when the player is dead. And all the other players will know you have that weapon/armor and it'll be a high risk/reward getting that item. Bosses will appear at certain milestones or things and maps can have more than one boss available at the start. Appearance of one, zeroes the chance of others so it's one boss per map. Every boss will have a specific loot so players will know how to act to it. Bosses won't attack unless they're attacked, will stop attacking when the player with most aggro dies or stops attacking for a period of time, will be relatively slow & easy to hit. In team modes, killing the world boss may give the team a buff.

                      Of course, all of these will be turned off/on as individual settings.
                      I like where you're going with this. This is kind of like my reference to the "tornado arena" (which I referenced, but hadn't played).

                      I don't think NPCs/bosses are a good idea, because this is unreal tournament, not Unreal. ...but I do like the idea of dynamic maps. Why? It produces interesting matches, timings, and forces engages by forcing players into or out of a situation.

                      Dynamic maps might be more appropriate with certain game types like king of the hill or something, but I really like this idea. An ever-changing map doesn't have to completely break the gameplay. Done right, it will make gameplay more interesting without being frustrating or gimmicky. It'd be a little like that metroid map in Super Smash Brothers: Melee, where the lava rises forcing you into the air or on certain platforms.

                      I'm for having the option to disable these from map rotation, but like I've said in other threads, you can't let individuals turn this stuff on and off; you can't have a guy that is forced to leave due to lava while another one "turned it off" and can stay.
                      Last edited by BoboTheBrave; 05-09-2014, 09:54 AM.
                      I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

                      Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by NomortaL View Post
                        How about a trip wire?

                        It alerts you when an enemy passes through it and would cover the entire entrance to an area and be visible to all players. This could be a powerup or cost a resource.

                        Enemies would think twice before letting the other player know exactly where they are.
                        This would just encourage camping and slow the gameplay down. Footstep sounds are what you should use to work out where your opponents are.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I'd like to see more traps like falling spikes and that sort of thing crossed with more environmental hazards myself.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Razvan View Post
                            The only thing the new UT needs is the parkour style from Titanfall.
                            Titanfall's parkour style is just a very easy version of UT's movement with console-style moon gravity. UT2004 has a hell of a lot of movement possibilities already.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think an Adrenaline mechanic rework could be nice, in ut2004 all that people used was basically the boost (hp regen) so a little balancing has to be done with it.
                              Could also work in different ways instead of a 100 units charger, spending whaterver you have to pull extra moves (eg Dishonored style aim-to-teleport)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X