Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controllers in Unreal tournament

There appears to be xbox 360 controller compatibility in the current pre alpha and i have been trying to master using it and it worked quite well.

However there is currently no controller settings (i.e sensitivity of the thumbsticks button config etc.)

All i am asking in the next weeks (or future) releases of the alpha i would like to see a controller config option in the system settings tab.

PS: the X button dodge is nice though! and I cannot use wall-running or dodge rolling right now just wall jumping and dodging yet I still manage!
    YES!!! it'll open the doors for many people making the game more accessable.
    68.10%
    NOPE. Mouse and Keyboard will make the game more competitive
    27.16%
    MAYBE..
    4.74%
    Last edited by Redeemerdude; 09-21-2014, 04:31 PM.

You will never do well against other players in this game using a controller. Put it down and learn to play Arena FPS properly with a mouse and keyboard, otherwise prepare your **** for the massive raping you get online.
    PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
      You will never do well against other players in this game using a controller. Put it down and learn to play Arena FPS properly with a mouse and keyboard, otherwise prepare your **** for the massive raping you get online.
      Nothing more needs to be said. Do yourself a favor and use a keyboard and mouse.

Comment

Some people cannot use old school mouse+keyboard, due to disabilities etc.

I'm glad that Epic is thinking of these people.
        They might never reach the level that mouse+keyboard users will. But they will still have fun playing UT!

Comment

Originally posted by McFly View Post
          Some people cannot use old school mouse+keyboard, due to disabilities etc.

I'm glad that Epic is thinking of these people.
          They might never reach the level that mouse+keyboard users will. But they will still have fun playing UT!
          You have a valid point with disabilities.

However, honestly I don't believe controller support is a good thing to add. In the past it's caused problems with mouse input and it does teach bad habits. Controller will never beat a mouse and keyboard. If it can be added without hurt to the mouse input, sure, put it in, it's not the most ideal method of control though.

There's never been a disability debate in the past with games that don't support controllers though..
          Last edited by chumb0; 09-22-2014, 09:14 AM.
          http://www.twitch.tv/chumbo_

Comment

If people want to use their controller then let them. I'm sure they understand its limitations. Also consider the future Steam OS & controller as well. It may not be as good as M&Kb but it could be a good alternative.

For the moment you can edit the Input.ini to adjust the controller sensitivities:

\WindowsNoEditor\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini
            Code:
            [/Script/Engine.InputSettings]
            AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_LeftX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
            AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_LeftY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
            AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_RightX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
            AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_RightY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
            There needs to be an option to select a primary input source and disable all others to avoid mouse input issues. I noticed my 360 controller was still able to move the crosshair...
            youtube.com/gamerasc | My UT3 Competitive Weapons Mutators: NERForcer & TGM

Comment

Far be it from me to defend the console controller. But I don't think it'd be wise to disallow them "out of principle" or anything.

There is the unassailable argument about disabilities; that by itself is reason enough.

And not everyone plays UT in the capacity of "arena-dueling twitch-master". UT does include other, bigger gametypes, ones in which "role players" can contribute to their team's efforts, even if their "raw skills" like aiming, etc. aren't competitive.

Comment

Im surprised so far with the responses in this thread. I am not too sure I agree with the disability thing. Any disability that I can think of that would prevent someone from using a mouse and keyboard would also prevent them from using a controller. Controllers are two handed devices that require fairly good dexterity and motor control to properly function, more so than a keyboard a mouse. Hence the reason why Mouse/Keyboard destroys controllers in FPS style games, they are just harder to use. If someone had something like arthritis or some other disability, it would actually be easier to use a mouse keyboard as you dont have to hold anything up, your hands and fingers are resting. Maybe if someone had issues with their wrists where they couldnt work a mouse very well, but still, if you cant work a mouse, you really wont be able to work a controller.

Either way, I dont think the feature should be included, if we truly want to bring in new players, especially players from console games, giving them the ability to use a controller they will jump at it, and then get destroyed mercilessly and abandon the game out of frustration.
                PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by chumb0 View Post
                  ...There's never been a disability debate in the past with games that don't support controllers though..
                  That is not only wrong, it is insulting. Why do you think JoytoKey was created.

Wow you guys are so cruel. Stop trying to dictate how others play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrywpSwrvv0

There are plenty more examples on youtube.
                  Last edited by Unreal Gladiator; 09-22-2014, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal Gladiator View Post
                    That is not only wrong, it is insulting. Why do you think JoytoKey was created.

Wow you guys are so cruel. Stop trying to dictate how others play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrywpSwrvv0

There are plenty more examples on youtube.
                    Nobody is intentionally being cruel dude. Hence why i opened my post with "You have a valid point with disabilities."
                    http://www.twitch.tv/chumbo_

Comment

Originally posted by Tidal Blast
                      As I said, it would help if players didn't have to carry 10 weapons.
                      Gamepads can handle lots of weapons fine. UT3 did it and so have other games. It arguably is not as good as a button for each gun but that is a trade off the player decides upon, beside there are many mouse and keyboard users who do not bind weapons to their own key but shuffle with the mouse wheel or other device.

Comment

To further add to it. i actually started playing ut with a controller (sadly a dreamcast one) and I'm just better with it. sure I'm good at M+KB but I'm better with the controller! All I was asking to see if Steve Polge or anyone at epic on this project can make the controller configurable in game. BTW weapon wheels in my opinion suck but I'm just used to using the xbox 360 controllers bumpers or the dpad to swap left to right on the weapons, Also adding the ability to change the deadzone on the thumbsticks that would be great!

And that code that fruiio posted worked great! now im able to overtake even the m+kb players with ease now Thanks!
                        Last edited by Redeemerdude; 09-27-2014, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Yes not every gamepad user likes weapon wheels which is why it should not be a mandatory bind as it was in UT3, there should be no mandatory binds. Some gamepad users use a keyborad for weapon and chat binds, hit keys with their pinkies or ring fingers.

For proper aim set up on a analog stick there needs to be options for:

• Sensitivity both vertical and horizontal.
                          • Acceleration both vertical and horizontal.
                          • Acceleration deadzone/threshold that is the amount the stick must be tilted for acceleration to kick in.
                          • Max accelerated speed could be nice too.
                          • How fast the acceleration is to max speed.
                          • Time delay before acceleration kicks in.

The only one of those that is missing from UT3 is vertical acceleration. If you tweak these settings just right you can achieve very nice thumb stick aim arguably matching a mouse aside from making snap shots. Aside from the mouse being easier to master a mouse is still better do to snap shots, but with the right settings a thumb stick can get very close.

It is a shame that developers are so lazzy with gamepad support.
                          Last edited by Unreal Gladiator; 09-27-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Well... so the issue is that UT should include controllers support for one hand gamers. I'm not sure if it will be enjoyable playing UT on controller with one hand past mid-tier bots. Unless one of you is such player and says that he can beat bots on masterfull-godlike and play decently online with controller and one hand with previous UT without any aiming assistances (sorry i won't let it happen in online play), i won't believe thats actually an important issue. Sorry :C
                            Unofficial Enforcer Model
                            Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Originally posted by Fartuess View Post
                              Well... so the issue is that UT should include controllers support for one hand gamers. I'm not sure if it will be enjoyable playing UT on controller with one hand past mid-tier bots. Unless one of you is such player and says that he can beat bots on masterfull-godlike and play decently online with controller and one hand with previous UT without any aiming assistances (sorry i won't let it happen in online play), i won't believe thats actually an important issue. Sorry :C
                              Not everybody equates having fun to winning...

Someone with a handicap, might enjoy himself/herself with other/lesser things.
                              Getting a multikill is fun. Just being on the winning team in a CTF match might be fun for someone who doesn't have expectations of conquering and dominating the whole Universe (like many pros in UT seem to have).
                              Don't assume that what gives you enjoyment in UT, will necessarily be the same for everybody else - and especially not for a disabled person.

Comment

Working...
                              X