Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I see a couple people mention that in order to adjust the settings of the XBOX controller you need to edit the input.ini but I'm not sure what to change the values to. Anyone have an ironed out Input.ini they can copy and paste?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't understand why having the option of a controller is such a debate for Mouse and Keyboard advocates? Games have had support for both for a really long time. I use both myself. Depending on my mood, and many things. If I die faster online using a controller with KB+Mouse players, who cares. It's my loss. But yes, I think Epic has a strong enough dev team that they can handle controller support for those that want to choose that input method.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -jay- View Post
    otherwise prepare your **** for the massive raping you get online.
    Hahahaaaa, made my day. But very very true

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by fury View Post
    Most game controllers have enaugh buttons to bind weapons to buttons directly. I did that when I played UT3 on my PS3 (yes I finished UT3 on PS3 first, because my PC was bad at the time.. I enjoyed it on PS3.. But I think I mostly played with keyboard and mouse..) and it worked quite well. I will play with keyboard and mouse for sure, but I know that by now there are a lot of people who prefer using a controller (don't know why)..
    Well, myself, I have Dyspraxia in my hands and wrists. Not exactly sure what it is, but I know that it has to do with the nerves thin those parts For me, gaming with a mouse and keyboard, I last maybe 20-30 minutes before my hands get tired. With a controller, I can game for four to five hours with little to no resulting fatigue in my hands and wrists. I also find it a lot more comfortable overall, to be able to, should I so choose, lean back/lay down, and still be able to game unhindered. Those are the two main reasons why I use a controller.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by furiio View Post
    If people want to use their controller then let them. I'm sure they understand its limitations. Also consider the future Steam OS & controller as well. It may not be as good as M&Kb but it could be a good alternative.

For the moment you can edit the Input.ini to adjust the controller sensitivities:

\WindowsNoEditor\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini
    Code:
    [/Script/Engine.InputSettings]
    AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_LeftX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
    AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_LeftY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
    AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_RightX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
    AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_RightY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
    There needs to be an option to select a primary input source and disable all others to avoid mouse input issues. I noticed my 360 controller was still able to move the crosshair...
    Ah, controller setup a la UT2k4 lol I had a lot of fun trying to get a PS2 controller working with that. On a side note, to a certain extent, the newly-released Steam controller seems to work with UT. For some reason though, the X-axis on the stick (it only has one, complimented by dual haptic touch pads) seems to map by default to turning left and right, straight outta Quake. Not too sure how to get it to lemme strafe with it. Of course, to be honest, this is my first day with the game so, there's obviously going to be a bit of a meet'n'greet between it and myself. To be honest, I'm surprised that it's classed as pre-alpha, what with how polished it already looks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I would also like to see PS3 controller support, including x-axis inversion for those who need it. My setup just isn't very comfortable for keybpard+mouse.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In a community developed game, there is no reason to exclude controller usage. No matter how you choose to play, a good game should support that choice.

Might controller users be at a disadvantage? Sure. Does that mean controllers shouldn't be supported in 2015 and beyond? No.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There isn't a problem with controller support. Designing an FPS game around it is when it becomes a problem.

Originally posted by DeSTruCTioNx View Post
    how do i plg in my xbox controller to play ut4? on my pc
    I have several original xbox controllers where I've cut the cord and spliced in a USB cable. Super easy. I also stole the controller receiver from a broken 360 and soldered on a usb cable for wireless controllers. Not so easy.

You can just buy a wireless adapter for less than 20 bucks though.
    Last edited by pb.; 07-30-2015, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In case you controller folks missed the stream where it was mentioned http://www.twitch.tv/unrealtournamen...43367?t=24m40s

Short term solution: mess with input.ini file, there's sensitivity and other settings like binds available also for controller buttons.
    Long term solution: wait X months for Epic to add menu for controllers some point later on.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Absolutely, especially when vehicle gametypes come around

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I use the Orbweaver Hand controller and it works perfect with any games including UT

Leave a comment:

• replied
    we all know that mouse and keyboard will rule the world. good for you. but some people prefer a controller. so stop being so negative about it, its old news man. i play games on my couch with a beer, and a controller. try being helpful sometime, that goes out to all you pc elitist, grow up.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Aren't Steam Machines essentially Linux PCs? That'd mean no additional porting required, as UT4 already runs on Linux.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i love using the xbox/xbox360/xbox one controllers! And especially the Steam Machine Controllers! those consoles are more affordable than an ultimate gaming rig. y'all must add more buttons to press on the controller. bring back black/white buttons, start/back buttons/ triggers, bumpers, and tapping buttons behind the controller with our ring fingers. we must bring UT4 to steam consoles because they have the new dominating mouse-pad controllers! porting UT4 to consoles will multiply our audiences with different wants and needs. the Steam Machine Console is genius. y'all should port it to Consoles as a priority, especially Steam Console.

done rant.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Tidal Blast
    Unfortunately, UT just doesn't work well with game controllers because of the enormous weapon selection and you just can't afford to open a radial menu to then select a weapon in battle. If that was different, the game controller would be a valid alternative, but it just ain't the case at the moment.

However, that doesn't mean there won't be UT games later on that will be more suitable for game controllers.
    Most game controllers have enaugh buttons to bind weapons to buttons directly. I did that when I played UT3 on my PS3 (yes I finished UT3 on PS3 first, because my PC was bad at the time.. I enjoyed it on PS3.. But I think I mostly played with keyboard and mouse..) and it worked quite well. I will play with keyboard and mouse for sure, but I know that by now there are a lot of people who prefer using a controller (don't know why)..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X