Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McFly View Post
    Not everybody equates having fun to winning...
    Well done on this message right here.

I see nothing wrong with adding controller support and we shall see if the Original Posters comments get taken as an aspect that is needed for game development.

The bottom line we want to build a community here and pushing them away with puffy chest won't work well. We can worry about the mouse/keyboard vs controller issue when it comes to competitive gaming. I don't care if the other player is using chopsticks. In the end, I play this game because it is fun.

DBL
    VP of Tactical Gaming
    Global Director of FraggedNation
    Video Creator with son at Tag Team Gaming

Comment

It's not about winning and loosing. Its about being completely obliterated online. For players who could play M+K and just play using controller. You are not even playing UT :F. For someone desperate there is way to make it work already however playing in such way should not be promoted as equally right way of playing game like UT.
      Unofficial Enforcer Model
      Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

If the controller support is implemented right it can work pretty well in Unreal. UC and UC2 both worked really well with the controller there was never any problem with weapon switching.

I remember back in the day I hooked UT2004 up to my brand new HDTV (cause I didn't have a 1080p monitor at the time) and played it with a controller on my couch just to mess around. While the aim was not as smooth as UC was because UC was made for the controller, I was still able to get plenty of kills in public servers.

I don't know the technicalities of mouse input vs controller inputs effecting the overall game code. But if it isn't that hard and doesn't effect the mouse input I would like to see a really good controller implementation in case you ever want to kick back on the couch and play some VCTF casually. Just do some flag runs in vehicles and stuff that doesn't require precise aim/crazy fast weapon switching.

Comment

Ah the UC games that was my first game i played on Xbox Live. good times

i like how the discussion is going though i realize this would start a bit of a poll so i updated the post with one.
          maybe that will make it more relevant to epic?

Comment

Why use controller when you can use a mouse with 19 programmable buttons like Razer Naga?
            Random lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tali View Post
              Why use controller when you can use a mouse with 19 programmable buttons like Razer Naga?
              I understand that m/kb dominate I'm an advocate for that on most shooters.

However controllers are not only a prefrence but a realer seller to some people that began their gaming carriers on console. therefore leaving them out could be disastrous to ut4's selling numbers.

Think about it, having superb controller support (not like the **** ut3 had on pc mind you) and this is a big maybe, splitscreen support could make the game much more better for living room get togethers to frag some friends and introduce them to one of the biggest online shooters out there. so they may buy the game for themselves. and being that ut is all about how you enjoy it this can really make the game's bad reputation it got from ut3 better and more well received than having a half baked console port to pc experience.

I know a lot of pc juggernauts hate the idea of someone lesser (in terms of skill) join them and use a controller but some people just enjoy them because it doesn't require twitch reactions to play effectively it just takes a little adaption and increasing the sensitivity.
              Plus whenever I play a shooter on console or PC i often trick players into thinking I'm using a mouse because my sensitivity is always on the highest end the spectrum like in terms of slider measurement 8-10 depending how fast player movement is.

and here is another fact ut is a game the RELIES on player movement and strafing to survive and no offense mice may be better for aiming but the omnidirectional movement controllers offer allows me to get behind you in more unpredictable ways than being stuck moving in 4 cardinal directions.

(sorry if i offended anyone I'm just responding to all of the people who are religious about the mouse and keyboard yes i agree they work well without a doubt but i know there are times just want to use a controller)

Comment

Can't imagine it not being implemented with the direction a lot of games are going with things like big picture on steam. Whether this game will be on steam or not I don't know but it seems if there is a chance that this game would pick up more people by having the option to use a controller then it should be there. More people means more money through the market place, it just makes sense to me.

Comment

I voted for Maybe, because there was no option for "sure why not, it doesn't matter to me wtf other people use"...

Comment

I meant that you can use a mouse without a keyboard, just program 12 side buttons to movement and disabled person can play right now. I don't mind controller support or anything, just no aim assist please.
                    Random lurker.

Comment

I agree no aim assist is a must regardless how you choose to play you have to deal with no "auto aim" i play all of my shooters without it if i have a choice.

However turn acceleration is good for twitch reaction sake though. and for anyone wanting to test out the game with the controller i have an xpadder profile that simply adds the higher sensitivity and the proper placement of the crouch button and WASD keys on the left stick for multi dodge and wall running.

Im sure the razer naga config you mentioned tali could work for people who can only use one hand but who could play a game like ut with just your thumb on movement where most of us who play on keyboard are used to using three fingers on the movement?

Comment

Not everybody equates having fun to winning...
                        It's not about winning, it's about having a chance at winning to begin with... Losing a tight match is fun. Getting rekt as soon as you spawn is unarguably not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ruin your fun here. It doesn't really matter to me, I still get my frags at the cost of your lives. I just don't see how you'd have any fun otherwise... unless you plan to play exclusively against bots all the time.

I'm not sure how it will invite more people to play UT if they won't have fun. I mean, just imagine the next random guy downloading UT when it's finally out of beta and playing it for the first time with a controller. He'd get smashed. Having played Halo before, he thought he's good at this kind of games. He ragequits after accusing everyone with cheating, then proceeds to metacritic giving UT a 1 out of 10 lol (actually seen it happen once).

... yeah, that was probably harsh. BUT not far from reality nonetheless.

But hey, I've seen people playing CS:GO with a steering wheel and doing poorly. Whatever floats yo boat I guess.

If I could use only one hand, I'd probably use a good joystick with a H.A.T for movement. I wouldn't play UT with it, but I could make it work in other slower games. Or a Naga mouse.
                        Check out my work!
                        | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                        | Localization

Comment

With implementation of matchmaking and the new lobby system that is in the works things may be different this time around. People should be able to play against people of similar skill level and who knows, it may even be possible to set up a lobby for people only using a controller. If that is how some people enjoy playing a game then they should be able to do so.

Comment

Been reading this discussion with great interest. I can't imagine how controller support would HURT anyone's fun. I appreciate the discussion of disability as well. MY disability (CERTAINLY not to make light of anyone else's REAL struggle) is AGE. I'm sure my history is not common, but I'm sure its not absolutely unique, either.

Here's a plate of copy pasta from my "Introduce Yourself" post:

"I also have a bit of a handicap. Being 42, and gaming with a stick in my hand in my youth, I had to adapt to 3D FPS. Only console I ever had was ColecoVision. Then went to PC. Went the left hand stick/right hand mouse when the 3D FPS became my thing. So, basically from the NES up to present day hand controllers are useless to me. I still play stick/mouse!"

YEP, I shock people on a regular basis with that disclosure. STICK AND MOUSE. If I can't (at least eventually) play that way, I may never. I can't even begin to grasp FPS with a console controller, and I never developed KB/m skills, cuz when I first got into FPS, I didn't HAVE to. The only adjustment I ever made was moving the stick to my left hand.

But, that was 199x, so a loooong time ago.

Comment

If CoD has proved anything, it's that most casual players have no problem with being "completely obliterated" (presumably a KDR of 0.3-0.5, which isn't uncommon).

And there's always ranked matchmaking.
                              Well, if there's ranked matchmaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
                                With implementation of matchmaking and the new lobby system that is in the works things may be different this time around. People should be able to play against people of similar skill level and who knows, it may even be possible to set up a lobby for people only using a controller. If that is how some people enjoy playing a game then they should be able to do so.
                                Yup, this might solve it.

Originally posted by Dementiurge
                                If CoD has proved anything, it's that most casual players have no problem with being "completely obliterated" (presumably a KDR of 0.3-0.5, which isn't uncommon).
                                Lmao... but you are not wrong. That makes it even funnier though, hehe.
                                Check out my work!
                                | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                                | Localization

Comment

Working...
                                X