No announcement yet.

Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am fairly recent to gaming and I was able to pick up a controller a lot easier then the mouse and keyboard. Plus I get really bad migraines so I need to sit further back from the screens and by using the controller I am able to do so more then I am with my computer at this time.

As far as winning that does not matter. It matter that you have fun with the game that you are playing. Trust me I have and my *** handed to me several times and I can still laugh at myself, what is going on around, and still have fun playing the game.

Comment

I don't care if this thread is dead, but every single person here is missing the point. The pretension here is so high it makes me cringe. What about casual players who want to play with bots? If it's easy enough to program in controller support there is no real reason not to add it. This argument that mouse and keyboard should be the only thing allowed is shameful. It's like saying you MUST play a game on console with a SCUF controller because it makes it "more competitive" and people with regular controllers aren't able to play at ALL. It doesn't matter if this is a PC centered game, don't be pretentious ****** like mouse and keyboard users are the only demographic; especially when this game will be free and that alone is intensive for a wide variety of players to try it and these players who only allow mouse and keyboard are scaring away potential players who might learn to use mouse and keyboard over time.
      Don't worry, I know what they're saying. "I hope I don't get any controller players on my team." Don't worry buddy, I don't want you on my team either.
      This thread is old, but it's still relevant. The controller support here is bare minimum and it doesn't have any proper menu.
      See you in the frag fields, players.

Comment

Low priority on the work bench but it may be possible to have controllers available for UT if matches are discriminated for this
        - input mode set to controller means you automatically cannot enter arenas where people with Mouse + KB are playing
        - input mode set to controller means you could get some form of aim assist
        - input mode set to Mouse + KB means you cannot enter controller arenas

Of course malicious players could probably bypass this using some form of input masking but the idea isn't terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by homu View Post
          Of course malicious players could probably bypass this using some form of input masking but the idea isn't terrible.
          I agree that these people have to be match by input and stay separated.
          I suppose that some check (by heuristic on raw input) can easely recognize the difference.
          it can be done serverside but even just clientside also depending on the autoaim autority(I don't know in a real use case if autoaim can or need to be serverside).
          A system that may trick this check will also necessarely have to modify input feedback to align it to what is currently possible with a controller so similar to nullify any advantage of the exploit.

On splitscreen play controllers will be very valuable addition to play together with non pc players.
          Last edited by Deadlineproof; 03-16-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Why do you need to limit what arena a person using a controller can enter? If they get crushed they will know why and have the option to change to mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyRic0 View Post
              Why do you need to limit what arena a person using a controller can enter?
              To prevent mixes and allow those who want controller-only people to play an arena to freely do so.
              Originally posted by JohnnyRic0 View Post
              If they get crushed they will know why and have the option to change to mouse and keyboard.
              Or they will not want to move from their couch and rather play a different game.

Remember: other people may want to play UT in a different way than you do either because of personal preference or disability and they shouldn't be discarded. You can just think of "controller-only" play as a different game mode if it makes you feel less elitist.

Comment

Originally posted by homu View Post
                To prevent mixes and allow those who want controller-only people to play an arena to freely do so.

Or they will not want to move from their couch and rather play a different game.

Remember: other people may want to play UT in a different way than you do either because of personal preference or disability and they shouldn't be discarded. You can just think of "controller-only" play as a different game mode if it makes you feel less elitist.
                I am all for adding full and better controller support but I still see no reason to make them be in separate games. Besides people who use controllers constantly claim they are just as good as someone with keyboard and mouse. So they would have no problem playing against us.

Comment

as long as they dont tack on aim assist of any kind , let them have the option to use controllers .. just please dont give the controllers aim asssit. Mostly because it can be exploited.

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                    You will never do well against other players in this game using a controller. Put it down and learn to play Arena FPS properly with a mouse and keyboard, otherwise prepare your **** for the massive raping you get online.
                    I was about to say pretty much this. Spot on.
                    work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

To preface this I am a PC gamer and the only console I have owned is a wii - for mariokart.

My understanding is that a large part of the problem with gamepad input is the implementation used on consoles (and I guess on PC as well?). The general attitude of PC players towards contollers is poor - the kneejerk reaction is that they are a waste of time. This is blanket applied to everything regardless of game*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7d...X6uCndf0EwHacZ

This guy has some content spread around the net. He has some software that modifies how controller input works compared to consoles. The youtube video is a spectator demo and follows killer - the current player is listed just above health. Pay attention when Gen1us is playing.

How gamepad aiming works: Stick right - player starts aiming right, if the stick is pushed further the rotation speed increases until the stick is at maximum.. right. When the player releases the stick and allows it to return to the center the "look right" continues slowing until it is centered again. In order to look right -> left the player has to move back past the center. Most people would consider the result unresponsive.

I think he has it changed in the following way - When you look right the standard "look right" occurs, however when you move the stick left to recenter it instantly starts looking left rather than waiting for return to the upright position increasing how well a player can freelook.

In general the dude is approaching it the wrong way, trying to beat keyboard/mouse players with a controller. A better question is : Can controller input be improved? Judging by what he has done I would say yes.

This is not to say that controllers offer as much control as mouse and keyboard, nor should they be standard. However with the above in mind maybe the UT devs could look at implementing a better solution for thumb stick users. Or maybe this problem exists at a lower level and is not addressable via ut. If it is addressable via the engine it is more interesting as the engine is used for projects outside ut.

Don't discount gamepads when at least a good portion of the problem is the implementation. Especially don't discount gamepads because "there are not enough buttons for weapons". Many people play happily with mousewheel as their only weapon swap. Is it ideal? No. Do they still enjoy the game? For sure.

*Controllers may be less suitable for ut than quake, simply because of how the game plays with dodging and whatnot. That is acceptable but simply tarring it with the "no because its a controller brush" that the PC crowd uses is sad.
                      Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

I am a casual gamer. 360, Xbox one. The only game I ever liked on PC is UT, all flavors. Especially tacops mod. I work on computers with m+KB all day and may have some carpaltunnel so I prefer to play using a controller whenever possible. Currently playing in the PreAlpha with a wired xbone controller. Works well, lb and rb cycles weapons. No desire to be competitive but wouldn't mind an option to have controller players join the same server. And wouldn't want to be limited or blocked from joining M+ KB.
                        I'm currently playing L4D1 and 2 and Saints Row on Steam with controller and UT. Loving the PreAlpha and can't wait to keep playing and get more to play CTF and other gametypes.
                        Last edited by ko.virtuoso; 03-24-2015, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Although I am a diehard keyboard/mouse user for this time of game, I voted YES, purely to appeal to more players as a whole. Look at it like this - allowing controller support will change nothing for the keyboard/mouse user, but will allow those who prefer to use a controller to have that option. This would appeal to more people and increase the player base, which would benefit EVERYONE because the servers would remain populated
                          Last edited by D'Sparil; 03-24-2015, 03:05 PM.

Comment

If you're not using a mouse and keyboard, you're ****ed.

Epic can have controller support if they want, but it will be worthless.
                            also known as Humphro

Comment

The game should in no way encourage the use of or be designed with controllers in mind. However, I don't see the harm in letting people play UT however they want. In addition to being a fast-paced, e-sportsy title, UT has always been a great casual game as well. Zany maps and modes, vehicles, and mods were the focus of probably 99% of the playerbase. If someone wants to get on a server and play with his 360 controller, then who cares.

Comment

using a controller while others are able to use mouse and keyboard sucks. people with disabilities won't have a good time playing.

but --> if some servers force all players to use a controller instead of mouse and keyboard everybody would have the same capabilities, i only wonder whether there are enough people interested in this for the development to be sensible.

Comment

Working...
                                X