No announcement yet.

Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you think controller input can't be done "right" on PC, try Titanfall. This game is perfectly playable online using X360 gamepad, against m&k users. Yes, it does have autoaim - but that is not so extreme to give unfair advantage. Yes, it is still less precise than m&k and you get your *** kicked against top players. But for casual fun on pub servers it is good. Maybe it works so well because almost all weapons in Titanfall are hitscan guns, but still, I can't see why UT shouldn't have this option. It's not like it will ruin the game, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Kasjer View Post
      If you think controller input can't be done "right" on PC, try Titanfall. This game is perfectly playable online using X360 gamepad, against m&k users. Yes, it does have autoaim - but that is not so extreme to give unfair advantage. Yes, it is still less precise than m&k and you get your *** kicked against top players. But for casual fun on pub servers it is good. Maybe it works so well because almost all weapons in Titanfall are hitscan guns, but still, I can't see why UT shouldn't have this option. It's not like it will ruin the game, you know.
      The problem is Epic is trying to get a whole new generation of gamers involved in UT. UT has a really high skill ceiling and the gap between veterans and new players is bigger than just about every other game. If new players come over from a console and see a controller option, they will use that controller option and in the end get owned even harder than before. The fear is the beating these new players with controllers will take will scare them away from the game completely.
      PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by McFly View Post
        Some people cannot use old school mouse+keyboard, due to disabilities etc.

I'm glad that Epic is thinking of these people.
        They might never reach the level that mouse+keyboard users will. But they will still have fun playing UT!
        I see no fun in being smashed over and over again..
        Gregg 'rpR'
        Steam Profile
        ESL Profile
        Team & LAN History
        Twitter
        Twitch TV

Comment

Veterans probably won't play on random pub servers but use password protected pickup ones instead...

Comment

Can someone delete this post? how can someone actually think of add controllers to this game... this is the reason why epic should stop listenin the comunity and deliver a game made by profesionals, only for profesionals. I can predict, this game is going the wrong direction already...

Comment

Originally posted by OMARHERRERA89 View Post
              Can someone delete this post? how can someone actually think of add controllers to this game... this is the reason why epic should stop listenin the comunity and deliver a game made by profesionals, only for profesionals. I can predict, this game is going the wrong direction already...
              That really isn't helpful, now is it? Making a game for the "professionals" as you say will not serve up a game that is interesting to casual players. One of the key goals here is to make a game that a wider range of players will want to play and hopefully keep on playing. Al this talk of certain gamer types not being welcome here needs to stop. One of the primary tenets of this development style is to give everyone opportunity to be involved as much as they want to be. If this is not your cup of tea, then I have no suggestions for you.

Adding controller support to the game takes nothing away from conventional kb/mouse controls. UT2003/4 had controller support and it did not affect keyboard and mouse players, so it is definitely possible. Why deny gamers the ability to play the game to their liking, be it gamepad, brightskins, as long as everyone has options to play the vanilla game if they chose?
              Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                That really isn't helpful, now is it? Making a game for the "professionals" as you say will not serve up a game that is interesting to casual players. One of the key goals here is to make a game that a wider range of players will want to play and hopefully keep on playing. Al this talk of certain gamer types not being welcome here needs to stop. One of the primary tenets of this development style is to give everyone opportunity to be involved as much as they want to be. If this is not your cup of tea, then I have no suggestions for you.

Adding controller support to the game takes nothing away from conventional kb/mouse controls. UT2003/4 had controller support and it did not affect keyboard and mouse players, so it is definitely possible. Why deny gamers the ability to play the game to their liking, be it gamepad, brightskins, as long as everyone has options to play the vanilla game if they chose?
                What Epic needs to realize and fast, is that u cant make everybody happy... they had to chose one comunity, 2k4 or ut99. Nobody in the competitive comunity of ut99 really likes 2k4, and nobody really good on 2k4 likes ut99... They make 2 completly different games and there is where is the problem. For me, play FPS games with a controller is like play hokey barehanded. The aim, the dodge, the movement is imposible to do the same way in controller, than with mouse and keyboad. The spectations for this game are high, but i dont see nobody playin the alpha... and the ones playin are some oldschool players specially coming from ut99...
                Last edited by OMARHERRERA89; 03-31-2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Mouse input should be a priority, get that right then worry about controllers.

You can make everyone happy OMAR ( or most ). I'd happily play with any movement settings as long as the game had an overall deep learning curve. UT4 in it's current state doesn't allow this, the movement is unresponsive, the scaling + mouse input is broken, the weapons haven't been tweaked yet. Most peeps won't play till the beta is out at the earliest so player numbers doesn't really mean anything. As the game progresses and feels deeper I'm sure the numbers will increase

Comment

I am not sure why you feel the movement is unresponsive. As I have said before, the game is not optimized and even if you have a killer rig to play the pre-Alpha, there are no guarantees of consistent framerates or other elements that would make the game feel solid to all players right now.
                    Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I am not sure why you feel the movement is unresponsive. As I have said before, the game is not optimized and even if you have a killer rig to play the pre-Alpha, there are no guarantees of consistent framerates or other elements that would make the game feel solid to all players right now.
                      Isn't an optimization issue. I have 150 fps stable capped. It's unresponsive in the sense you can't dodge projectiles, or change directions quickly, or generally just move fluidly. It`ll be changed eventually, there's alot of info in the movement forum. If you haven't played the original ut you should try it out and see how responsive it is in comparison

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                        Isn't an optimization issue. I have 150 fps stable capped. It's unresponsive in the sense you can't dodge projectiles, or change directions quickly, or generally just move fluidly. It`ll be changed eventually, there's alot of info in the movement forum. If you haven't played the original ut you should try it out and see how responsive it is in comparison
                        I have played the original, thousands of hours actually. The movement you see is tied to the screen render, so yes, you may have what appear to be consistent framerates, but all it takes is a couple of frames to drop and your animations go to pot.

Comment

I have played the original, thousands of hours actually. The movement you see is tied to the screen render, so yes, you may have what appear to be consistent framerates, but all it takes is a couple of frames to drop and your animations go to pot.
                          Sorry, I don't agree that it's about animations. My frames don't drop I have a top end rig, and even if they did, having played PC fps games since 98 I can tell the difference between fluid responsive movement and stable frames. All the best
                          Last edited by nuxx; 04-02-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                            Sorry, I don't agree that it's about animations. My frames don't drop I have a top end rig, and even if they did, having played PC fps games since 98 I can tell the difference between fluid responsive movement and stable frames. All the best
                            Then what do you think is causing it?

Comment

have you never been to the movement section of this forum? I feel like 80% of the discussion there revolves around that very question.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly Dungas View Post
                                have you never been to the movement section of this forum? I feel like 80% of the discussion there revolves around that very question.
                                Early prototypes rarely ever feel like a polished game. When you have a plethora of system configurations, capabilities and in-game setups, it takes a massive effort to get that game to the point where it runs in a polished manner on all those systems and configurations. Trying to pinpoint the actual cause for lacking performance in any or all of those systems could be a monumental undertaking, what with all the cat-and-mouse back and forth between developer and player. Look at all the work Pete put into resolving the mouse input issues and folks still are not satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                                X