Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Mouse input should be a priority, get that right then worry about controllers.

You can make everyone happy OMAR ( or most ). I'd happily play with any movement settings as long as the game had an overall deep learning curve. UT4 in it's current state doesn't allow this, the movement is unresponsive, the scaling + mouse input is broken, the weapons haven't been tweaked yet. Most peeps won't play till the beta is out at the earliest so player numbers doesn't really mean anything. As the game progresses and feels deeper I'm sure the numbers will increase

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Crotale View Post
    That really isn't helpful, now is it? Making a game for the "professionals" as you say will not serve up a game that is interesting to casual players. One of the key goals here is to make a game that a wider range of players will want to play and hopefully keep on playing. Al this talk of certain gamer types not being welcome here needs to stop. One of the primary tenets of this development style is to give everyone opportunity to be involved as much as they want to be. If this is not your cup of tea, then I have no suggestions for you.

Adding controller support to the game takes nothing away from conventional kb/mouse controls. UT2003/4 had controller support and it did not affect keyboard and mouse players, so it is definitely possible. Why deny gamers the ability to play the game to their liking, be it gamepad, brightskins, as long as everyone has options to play the vanilla game if they chose?
    What Epic needs to realize and fast, is that u cant make everybody happy... they had to chose one comunity, 2k4 or ut99. Nobody in the competitive comunity of ut99 really likes 2k4, and nobody really good on 2k4 likes ut99... They make 2 completly different games and there is where is the problem. For me, play FPS games with a controller is like play hokey barehanded. The aim, the dodge, the movement is imposible to do the same way in controller, than with mouse and keyboad. The spectations for this game are high, but i dont see nobody playin the alpha... and the ones playin are some oldschool players specially coming from ut99...
    Last edited by OMARHERRERA89; 03-31-2015, 10:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by OMARHERRERA89 View Post
    Can someone delete this post? how can someone actually think of add controllers to this game... this is the reason why epic should stop listenin the comunity and deliver a game made by profesionals, only for profesionals. I can predict, this game is going the wrong direction already...
    That really isn't helpful, now is it? Making a game for the "professionals" as you say will not serve up a game that is interesting to casual players. One of the key goals here is to make a game that a wider range of players will want to play and hopefully keep on playing. Al this talk of certain gamer types not being welcome here needs to stop. One of the primary tenets of this development style is to give everyone opportunity to be involved as much as they want to be. If this is not your cup of tea, then I have no suggestions for you.

Adding controller support to the game takes nothing away from conventional kb/mouse controls. UT2003/4 had controller support and it did not affect keyboard and mouse players, so it is definitely possible. Why deny gamers the ability to play the game to their liking, be it gamepad, brightskins, as long as everyone has options to play the vanilla game if they chose?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can someone delete this post? how can someone actually think of add controllers to this game... this is the reason why epic should stop listenin the comunity and deliver a game made by profesionals, only for profesionals. I can predict, this game is going the wrong direction already...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Veterans probably won't play on random pub servers but use password protected pickup ones instead...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by McFly View Post
    Some people cannot use old school mouse+keyboard, due to disabilities etc.

I'm glad that Epic is thinking of these people.
    They might never reach the level that mouse+keyboard users will. But they will still have fun playing UT!
    I see no fun in being smashed over and over again..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Kasjer View Post
    If you think controller input can't be done "right" on PC, try Titanfall. This game is perfectly playable online using X360 gamepad, against m&k users. Yes, it does have autoaim - but that is not so extreme to give unfair advantage. Yes, it is still less precise than m&k and you get your *** kicked against top players. But for casual fun on pub servers it is good. Maybe it works so well because almost all weapons in Titanfall are hitscan guns, but still, I can't see why UT shouldn't have this option. It's not like it will ruin the game, you know.
    The problem is Epic is trying to get a whole new generation of gamers involved in UT. UT has a really high skill ceiling and the gap between veterans and new players is bigger than just about every other game. If new players come over from a console and see a controller option, they will use that controller option and in the end get owned even harder than before. The fear is the beating these new players with controllers will take will scare them away from the game completely.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you think controller input can't be done "right" on PC, try Titanfall. This game is perfectly playable online using X360 gamepad, against m&k users. Yes, it does have autoaim - but that is not so extreme to give unfair advantage. Yes, it is still less precise than m&k and you get your *** kicked against top players. But for casual fun on pub servers it is good. Maybe it works so well because almost all weapons in Titanfall are hitscan guns, but still, I can't see why UT shouldn't have this option. It's not like it will ruin the game, you know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    using a controller while others are able to use mouse and keyboard sucks. people with disabilities won't have a good time playing.

but --> if some servers force all players to use a controller instead of mouse and keyboard everybody would have the same capabilities, i only wonder whether there are enough people interested in this for the development to be sensible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The game should in no way encourage the use of or be designed with controllers in mind. However, I don't see the harm in letting people play UT however they want. In addition to being a fast-paced, e-sportsy title, UT has always been a great casual game as well. Zany maps and modes, vehicles, and mods were the focus of probably 99% of the playerbase. If someone wants to get on a server and play with his 360 controller, then who cares.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you're not using a mouse and keyboard, you're ****ed.

Epic can have controller support if they want, but it will be worthless.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Although I am a diehard keyboard/mouse user for this time of game, I voted YES, purely to appeal to more players as a whole. Look at it like this - allowing controller support will change nothing for the keyboard/mouse user, but will allow those who prefer to use a controller to have that option. This would appeal to more people and increase the player base, which would benefit EVERYONE because the servers would remain populated
    Last edited by D'Sparil; 03-24-2015, 03:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am a casual gamer. 360, Xbox one. The only game I ever liked on PC is UT, all flavors. Especially tacops mod. I work on computers with m+KB all day and may have some carpaltunnel so I prefer to play using a controller whenever possible. Currently playing in the PreAlpha with a wired xbone controller. Works well, lb and rb cycles weapons. No desire to be competitive but wouldn't mind an option to have controller players join the same server. And wouldn't want to be limited or blocked from joining M+ KB.
    I'm currently playing L4D1 and 2 and Saints Row on Steam with controller and UT. Loving the PreAlpha and can't wait to keep playing and get more to play CTF and other gametypes.
    Last edited by ko.virtuoso; 03-24-2015, 02:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To preface this I am a PC gamer and the only console I have owned is a wii - for mariokart.

My understanding is that a large part of the problem with gamepad input is the implementation used on consoles (and I guess on PC as well?). The general attitude of PC players towards contollers is poor - the kneejerk reaction is that they are a waste of time. This is blanket applied to everything regardless of game*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7d...X6uCndf0EwHacZ

This guy has some content spread around the net. He has some software that modifies how controller input works compared to consoles. The youtube video is a spectator demo and follows killer - the current player is listed just above health. Pay attention when Gen1us is playing.

How gamepad aiming works: Stick right - player starts aiming right, if the stick is pushed further the rotation speed increases until the stick is at maximum.. right. When the player releases the stick and allows it to return to the center the "look right" continues slowing until it is centered again. In order to look right -> left the player has to move back past the center. Most people would consider the result unresponsive.

I think he has it changed in the following way - When you look right the standard "look right" occurs, however when you move the stick left to recenter it instantly starts looking left rather than waiting for return to the upright position increasing how well a player can freelook.

In general the dude is approaching it the wrong way, trying to beat keyboard/mouse players with a controller. A better question is : Can controller input be improved? Judging by what he has done I would say yes.

This is not to say that controllers offer as much control as mouse and keyboard, nor should they be standard. However with the above in mind maybe the UT devs could look at implementing a better solution for thumb stick users. Or maybe this problem exists at a lower level and is not addressable via ut. If it is addressable via the engine it is more interesting as the engine is used for projects outside ut.

Don't discount gamepads when at least a good portion of the problem is the implementation. Especially don't discount gamepads because "there are not enough buttons for weapons". Many people play happily with mousewheel as their only weapon swap. Is it ideal? No. Do they still enjoy the game? For sure.

*Controllers may be less suitable for ut than quake, simply because of how the game plays with dodging and whatnot. That is acceptable but simply tarring it with the "no because its a controller brush" that the PC crowd uses is sad.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -jay- View Post
    You will never do well against other players in this game using a controller. Put it down and learn to play Arena FPS properly with a mouse and keyboard, otherwise prepare your **** for the massive raping you get online.
    I was about to say pretty much this. Spot on.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X