Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    as long as they dont tack on aim assist of any kind , let them have the option to use controllers .. just please dont give the controllers aim asssit. Mostly because it can be exploited.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by homu View Post
    To prevent mixes and allow those who want controller-only people to play an arena to freely do so.

Or they will not want to move from their couch and rather play a different game.

Remember: other people may want to play UT in a different way than you do either because of personal preference or disability and they shouldn't be discarded. You can just think of "controller-only" play as a different game mode if it makes you feel less elitist.
    I am all for adding full and better controller support but I still see no reason to make them be in separate games. Besides people who use controllers constantly claim they are just as good as someone with keyboard and mouse. So they would have no problem playing against us.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyRic0 View Post
    Why do you need to limit what arena a person using a controller can enter?
    To prevent mixes and allow those who want controller-only people to play an arena to freely do so.
    Originally posted by JohnnyRic0 View Post
    If they get crushed they will know why and have the option to change to mouse and keyboard.
    Or they will not want to move from their couch and rather play a different game.

Remember: other people may want to play UT in a different way than you do either because of personal preference or disability and they shouldn't be discarded. You can just think of "controller-only" play as a different game mode if it makes you feel less elitist.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why do you need to limit what arena a person using a controller can enter? If they get crushed they will know why and have the option to change to mouse and keyboard.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by homu View Post
    Of course malicious players could probably bypass this using some form of input masking but the idea isn't terrible.
    I agree that these people have to be match by input and stay separated.
    I suppose that some check (by heuristic on raw input) can easely recognize the difference.
    it can be done serverside but even just clientside also depending on the autoaim autority(I don't know in a real use case if autoaim can or need to be serverside).
    A system that may trick this check will also necessarely have to modify input feedback to align it to what is currently possible with a controller so similar to nullify any advantage of the exploit.

On splitscreen play controllers will be very valuable addition to play together with non pc players.
    Last edited by Deadlineproof; 03-16-2015, 09:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Low priority on the work bench but it may be possible to have controllers available for UT if matches are discriminated for this
    - input mode set to controller means you automatically cannot enter arenas where people with Mouse + KB are playing
    - input mode set to controller means you could get some form of aim assist
    - input mode set to Mouse + KB means you cannot enter controller arenas

Of course malicious players could probably bypass this using some form of input masking but the idea isn't terrible.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't care if this thread is dead, but every single person here is missing the point. The pretension here is so high it makes me cringe. What about casual players who want to play with bots? If it's easy enough to program in controller support there is no real reason not to add it. This argument that mouse and keyboard should be the only thing allowed is shameful. It's like saying you MUST play a game on console with a SCUF controller because it makes it "more competitive" and people with regular controllers aren't able to play at ALL. It doesn't matter if this is a PC centered game, don't be pretentious ****** like mouse and keyboard users are the only demographic; especially when this game will be free and that alone is intensive for a wide variety of players to try it and these players who only allow mouse and keyboard are scaring away potential players who might learn to use mouse and keyboard over time.
    Don't worry, I know what they're saying. "I hope I don't get any controller players on my team." Don't worry buddy, I don't want you on my team either.
    This thread is old, but it's still relevant. The controller support here is bare minimum and it doesn't have any proper menu.
    See you in the frag fields, players.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I am fairly recent to gaming and I was able to pick up a controller a lot easier then the mouse and keyboard. Plus I get really bad migraines so I need to sit further back from the screens and by using the controller I am able to do so more then I am with my computer at this time.

As far as winning that does not matter. It matter that you have fun with the game that you are playing. Trust me I have and my *** handed to me several times and I can still laugh at myself, what is going on around, and still have fun playing the game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
    With implementation of matchmaking and the new lobby system that is in the works things may be different this time around. People should be able to play against people of similar skill level and who knows, it may even be possible to set up a lobby for people only using a controller. If that is how some people enjoy playing a game then they should be able to do so.
    Yup, this might solve it.

Originally posted by Dementiurge
    If CoD has proved anything, it's that most casual players have no problem with being "completely obliterated" (presumably a KDR of 0.3-0.5, which isn't uncommon).
    Lmao... but you are not wrong. That makes it even funnier though, hehe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If CoD has proved anything, it's that most casual players have no problem with being "completely obliterated" (presumably a KDR of 0.3-0.5, which isn't uncommon).

And there's always ranked matchmaking.
    Well, if there's ranked matchmaking.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Been reading this discussion with great interest. I can't imagine how controller support would HURT anyone's fun. I appreciate the discussion of disability as well. MY disability (CERTAINLY not to make light of anyone else's REAL struggle) is AGE. I'm sure my history is not common, but I'm sure its not absolutely unique, either.

Here's a plate of copy pasta from my "Introduce Yourself" post:

"I also have a bit of a handicap. Being 42, and gaming with a stick in my hand in my youth, I had to adapt to 3D FPS. Only console I ever had was ColecoVision. Then went to PC. Went the left hand stick/right hand mouse when the 3D FPS became my thing. So, basically from the NES up to present day hand controllers are useless to me. I still play stick/mouse!"

YEP, I shock people on a regular basis with that disclosure. STICK AND MOUSE. If I can't (at least eventually) play that way, I may never. I can't even begin to grasp FPS with a console controller, and I never developed KB/m skills, cuz when I first got into FPS, I didn't HAVE to. The only adjustment I ever made was moving the stick to my left hand.

But, that was 199x, so a loooong time ago.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    With implementation of matchmaking and the new lobby system that is in the works things may be different this time around. People should be able to play against people of similar skill level and who knows, it may even be possible to set up a lobby for people only using a controller. If that is how some people enjoy playing a game then they should be able to do so.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not everybody equates having fun to winning...
    It's not about winning, it's about having a chance at winning to begin with... Losing a tight match is fun. Getting rekt as soon as you spawn is unarguably not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to ruin your fun here. It doesn't really matter to me, I still get my frags at the cost of your lives. I just don't see how you'd have any fun otherwise... unless you plan to play exclusively against bots all the time.

I'm not sure how it will invite more people to play UT if they won't have fun. I mean, just imagine the next random guy downloading UT when it's finally out of beta and playing it for the first time with a controller. He'd get smashed. Having played Halo before, he thought he's good at this kind of games. He ragequits after accusing everyone with cheating, then proceeds to metacritic giving UT a 1 out of 10 lol (actually seen it happen once).

... yeah, that was probably harsh. BUT not far from reality nonetheless.

But hey, I've seen people playing CS:GO with a steering wheel and doing poorly. Whatever floats yo boat I guess.

If I could use only one hand, I'd probably use a good joystick with a H.A.T for movement. I wouldn't play UT with it, but I could make it work in other slower games. Or a Naga mouse.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I agree no aim assist is a must regardless how you choose to play you have to deal with no "auto aim" i play all of my shooters without it if i have a choice.

However turn acceleration is good for twitch reaction sake though. and for anyone wanting to test out the game with the controller i have an xpadder profile that simply adds the higher sensitivity and the proper placement of the crouch button and WASD keys on the left stick for multi dodge and wall running.

Im sure the razer naga config you mentioned tali could work for people who can only use one hand but who could play a game like ut with just your thumb on movement where most of us who play on keyboard are used to using three fingers on the movement?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I meant that you can use a mouse without a keyboard, just program 12 side buttons to movement and disabled person can play right now. I don't mind controller support or anything, just no aim assist please.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X