No announcement yet.

Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There isn't a problem with controller support. Designing an FPS game around it is when it becomes a problem.

Originally posted by DeSTruCTioNx View Post
    how do i plg in my xbox controller to play ut4? on my pc
    I have several original xbox controllers where I've cut the cord and spliced in a USB cable. Super easy. I also stole the controller receiver from a broken 360 and soldered on a usb cable for wireless controllers. Not so easy.

You can just buy a wireless adapter for less than 20 bucks though.
    Last edited by pb.; 07-30-2015, 07:42 PM.
    Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

In a community developed game, there is no reason to exclude controller usage. No matter how you choose to play, a good game should support that choice.

Might controller users be at a disadvantage? Sure. Does that mean controllers shouldn't be supported in 2015 and beyond? No.

Comment

I would also like to see PS3 controller support, including x-axis inversion for those who need it. My setup just isn't very comfortable for keybpard+mouse.
        In a world of no darkness, there is no light.
        - The Voice Inside

My Blog
        Featuring Insights, Poetry and Teachings.

My Photography
        Featuring A Unique Calendar and Prints for Purchase.

My Videos
        Featuring The Circle and Tutorials.

Comment

Originally posted by furiio View Post
          If people want to use their controller then let them. I'm sure they understand its limitations. Also consider the future Steam OS & controller as well. It may not be as good as M&Kb but it could be a good alternative.

For the moment you can edit the Input.ini to adjust the controller sensitivities:

\WindowsNoEditor\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini
          Code:
          [/Script/Engine.InputSettings]
          AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_LeftX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
          AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_LeftY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
          AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_RightX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
          AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_RightY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
          There needs to be an option to select a primary input source and disable all others to avoid mouse input issues. I noticed my 360 controller was still able to move the crosshair...
          Ah, controller setup a la UT2k4 lol I had a lot of fun trying to get a PS2 controller working with that. On a side note, to a certain extent, the newly-released Steam controller seems to work with UT. For some reason though, the X-axis on the stick (it only has one, complimented by dual haptic touch pads) seems to map by default to turning left and right, straight outta Quake. Not too sure how to get it to lemme strafe with it. Of course, to be honest, this is my first day with the game so, there's obviously going to be a bit of a meet'n'greet between it and myself. To be honest, I'm surprised that it's classed as pre-alpha, what with how polished it already looks.

Comment

Originally posted by fury View Post
            Most game controllers have enaugh buttons to bind weapons to buttons directly. I did that when I played UT3 on my PS3 (yes I finished UT3 on PS3 first, because my PC was bad at the time.. I enjoyed it on PS3.. But I think I mostly played with keyboard and mouse..) and it worked quite well. I will play with keyboard and mouse for sure, but I know that by now there are a lot of people who prefer using a controller (don't know why)..
            Well, myself, I have Dyspraxia in my hands and wrists. Not exactly sure what it is, but I know that it has to do with the nerves thin those parts For me, gaming with a mouse and keyboard, I last maybe 20-30 minutes before my hands get tired. With a controller, I can game for four to five hours with little to no resulting fatigue in my hands and wrists. I also find it a lot more comfortable overall, to be able to, should I so choose, lean back/lay down, and still be able to game unhindered. Those are the two main reasons why I use a controller.

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
              otherwise prepare your **** for the massive raping you get online.
              Hahahaaaa, made my day. But very very true

Comment

I don't understand why having the option of a controller is such a debate for Mouse and Keyboard advocates? Games have had support for both for a really long time. I use both myself. Depending on my mood, and many things. If I die faster online using a controller with KB+Mouse players, who cares. It's my loss. But yes, I think Epic has a strong enough dev team that they can handle controller support for those that want to choose that input method.

Comment

I see a couple people mention that in order to adjust the settings of the XBOX controller you need to edit the input.ini but I'm not sure what to change the values to. Anyone have an ironed out Input.ini they can copy and paste?

Comment

Let me start this off by thanking epic for adding the controller support already available, hopefully the config thing gets easier over time and eventually maybe even button mapping but the whole disability thing is a VERY valid point that I never thought of until I was actually a part of that demographic. Been a hardcore pc gamer since ut2004, always used mouse and keyboard, always preferre that input method over console...that being said I was in a car accident a while back and now my neck hurts too much when I try to use the computer for long periods of time. Ive tried getting desks that are higher, lower, etc...different chairs...no matter what I just cant seem to get comfortable at a desk anymore. Not even mentioning how expensive it is to change your furniture as opposed to just getting a controller for $20...with the controller I have the ability to stand up and shrug my shoulders every once in a while. I can even walk around a little bit without actually stopping gameplay...it makes a MASSIVE difference and I hope the devs realize how much this kind of thing gets appreciated, regardless of the fact that you dont always hear about it in the comments.

Long story made short: good job so far guys, please if its not too much trouble custom button mapping would be amazing!!!

Comment

i should add that there is already a sort of button mapping, but at least on my pc its not working right...when I try to bind a button it works just fine but instead of overwriting the default input it just becomes a dual input, so for example if "RT" is fire and I try to remap from the options screen so that "RT" is bound to "previous weapon" it will in fact pull out the previous weapon but it will also fire a shot in the process. If I remapped "A" I would switch weapons & jump....etc. For some reason or another nothing can be overwritten from the default controls, only added onto. Also for what its worth joystick sensitivity even with mouse acceleration etc turned up is god awful slow, i mean like REALLY slow. I currently map "turn left"/"turn right" to different buttons and use those with the joystick at the same time so that Im able to turn faster, it works amd has the added benefit of me being able to hold the camera still even with my thumb on the joystick...but it also sacrifices two buttons and as mention earlier, they are still default controls as well so I turn left AND switch weapons. Its pretty funny actually but for serious gameplay I dont think it would pan out well. lol

Comment

Hi everyone. I've just built a new PC, downloaded UT and am trying it out on a PS4 controller emulating as an Xbox 360 controller. This is playing pretty well, minus not having the ability to adjust stick sensitivity. I get the "u n00b just git a kb&m or git ur **** rekt" stance as a PC gamer. However, that's a pretty ignorant opinion. Opening a fully customizable and adjustable controller scheme would make the game fully inclusive of controller users, be they of console or PC origin. I started playing UT on PS2, then moved to UT3 on X360. I'd like to play with PC gamers as the console servers have been abandoned. Having a fully customizable controller setup would allow us to join in. So we hop in and get bodied, ok great! We still had a good ****ing time playing the game and would keep us coming back.

Comment

[MENTION=288621]bondspy[/MENTION] The UI is a work in progress and will be extended. Currently you can adjust the sensitivity via config - Input.ini file in Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor. Look for 4 lines containing 'AxisKeyName="Gamepad_' and change the Sensitivity in these lines. Also, as far as I know you don't need to emulate X360 controller, UT should work with PS4 controller as is.
                          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
                            @bondspy The UI is a work in progress and will be extended. Currently you can adjust the sensitivity via config - Input.ini file in Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor. Look for 4 lines containing 'AxisKeyName="Gamepad_' and change the Sensitivity in these lines. Also, as far as I know you don't need to emulate X360 controller, UT should work with PS4 controller as is.
                            unfortunatelly not working every single time it changes to 1.0000 after the game loads

Comment

I am Disabled. I have mild cerebral paulsey in my left hand, i require a controller to play. as far as controller not beating kb+m i disagree with personal experience, i currently have a 1.4 and climbing K/D in CoD BO3, and a 1.8 Player K/D in Titanfall (used to be 2.4 K/D).

Comment

I'm a keyboard & mouse player, but I like the idea of having controller-only lobbies. It would be a different play experience, and open the game up to a whole lot more people.

For controller-only games, keyboard and mouse movement and aim would have to be disabled, so that key & mouse players couldn't grief everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X