Controllers in Unreal tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Im surprised so far with the responses in this thread. I am not too sure I agree with the disability thing. Any disability that I can think of that would prevent someone from using a mouse and keyboard would also prevent them from using a controller. Controllers are two handed devices that require fairly good dexterity and motor control to properly function, more so than a keyboard a mouse. Hence the reason why Mouse/Keyboard destroys controllers in FPS style games, they are just harder to use. If someone had something like arthritis or some other disability, it would actually be easier to use a mouse keyboard as you dont have to hold anything up, your hands and fingers are resting. Maybe if someone had issues with their wrists where they couldnt work a mouse very well, but still, if you cant work a mouse, you really wont be able to work a controller.

Either way, I dont think the feature should be included, if we truly want to bring in new players, especially players from console games, giving them the ability to use a controller they will jump at it, and then get destroyed mercilessly and abandon the game out of frustration.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Far be it from me to defend the console controller. But I don't think it'd be wise to disallow them "out of principle" or anything.

There is the unassailable argument about disabilities; that by itself is reason enough.

And not everyone plays UT in the capacity of "arena-dueling twitch-master". UT does include other, bigger gametypes, ones in which "role players" can contribute to their team's efforts, even if their "raw skills" like aiming, etc. aren't competitive.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If people want to use their controller then let them. I'm sure they understand its limitations. Also consider the future Steam OS & controller as well. It may not be as good as M&Kb but it could be a good alternative.

For the moment you can edit the Input.ini to adjust the controller sensitivities:

\WindowsNoEditor\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini
    Code:
    [/Script/Engine.InputSettings]
    AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_LeftX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
    AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_LeftY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
    AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_RightX",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
    AxisConfig=(AxisKeyName="Gamepad_RightY",AxisProperties=(DeadZone=0.250000,Sensitivity=1.000000,Exponent=1.000000,bInvert=False))
    There needs to be an option to select a primary input source and disable all others to avoid mouse input issues. I noticed my 360 controller was still able to move the crosshair...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by McFly View Post
    Some people cannot use old school mouse+keyboard, due to disabilities etc.

I'm glad that Epic is thinking of these people.
    They might never reach the level that mouse+keyboard users will. But they will still have fun playing UT!
    You have a valid point with disabilities.

However, honestly I don't believe controller support is a good thing to add. In the past it's caused problems with mouse input and it does teach bad habits. Controller will never beat a mouse and keyboard. If it can be added without hurt to the mouse input, sure, put it in, it's not the most ideal method of control though.

There's never been a disability debate in the past with games that don't support controllers though..
    Last edited by chumb0; 09-22-2014, 09:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Some people cannot use old school mouse+keyboard, due to disabilities etc.

I'm glad that Epic is thinking of these people.
    They might never reach the level that mouse+keyboard users will. But they will still have fun playing UT!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by -jay- View Post
    You will never do well against other players in this game using a controller. Put it down and learn to play Arena FPS properly with a mouse and keyboard, otherwise prepare your **** for the massive raping you get online.
    Nothing more needs to be said. Do yourself a favor and use a keyboard and mouse.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You will never do well against other players in this game using a controller. Put it down and learn to play Arena FPS properly with a mouse and keyboard, otherwise prepare your **** for the massive raping you get online.

Leave a comment:

• started a poll Controllers in Unreal tournament

Controllers in Unreal tournament

YES!!! it'll open the doors for many people making the game more accessable.
    68.17%
    NOPE. Mouse and Keyboard will make the game more competitive
    27.10%
    MAYBE..
    4.73%
    There appears to be xbox 360 controller compatibility in the current pre alpha and i have been trying to master using it and it worked quite well.

However there is currently no controller settings (i.e sensitivity of the thumbsticks button config etc.)

All i am asking in the next weeks (or future) releases of the alpha i would like to see a controller config option in the system settings tab.

PS: the X button dodge is nice though! and I cannot use wall-running or dodge rolling right now just wall jumping and dodging yet I still manage!
    Last edited by Redeemerdude; 09-21-2014, 04:31 PM.
Working...
X