Leveling sytem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leveling sytem

So my idea is this, I propose a leveling system that works independent of ELO & Player rank ect, This idea is more for the Casual players and how to keep them playing, there will be no cap on this level, your level is a representation of how long you have been playing, so for instance a new player at level 1 in a game with someone who is level 200 will know that the player with level 200 has been playing for quite some time, and should expect a tough match against him. the leveling up could be based on a EXP System where at the end of each match you will earn some exp and potentially level up.

To expand on this leveling system every 5 levels until level 20, the player will earn a reward, this reward could very in which direction you choose to go, but my idea is that up until level 20 you could earn a token every 5 levels, so a new player reaching level 20 will have accumulated 4 tokens, these tokens can be used to redeem credit on the market place, after level 20 you will start to earn these tokens every 10 levels until you reach a milestone lets just use level 50 as an example, so the player has reached level 50, at level 50 the player has dedicated a good amount of time to the game and accumulated 7 tokens you could reward him for his time by granting him a chest, the chest could contain anything you want, from a hand full of tokens to maybe a redeemable credit for a few specific weapon/model skins ect you get the general idea.

The reason I would change the reward system to 10 levels after level 20, is because the player would have 4 tokens and he will be dedicated to gaining more, hence keeping him playing the game for longer, people love these leveling systems, it gives the player a sense of achievement and that his time spent in the game is actually worth while if he can get that skin/model ect he wants. it will also serve as some nice bragging rights for the hardcore out there in regards to being high level.

There is a potential for using these tokens for wager matches, yes gambling!!, I'll use Duel as an example, Using global UT4 Chat there could be a channel for wager matches where players can go and find other people who are looking to put there tokens on the line, there player level will be visible in the Chat channel so you have an idea of how good a player is before you jump in and lose your tokens, at the start of the Match both players will be stuck in spectator mode until bets are placed, the Server will hold your tokens, once the wagers are placed the announcer will begin the count down, once the match starts there is no turning back if you leave the game the other player wins, now i can already see people asking about well what happens if one players internet drops, if this happens the match will Pause and the player will have 3 mins to reconnect to the server.There should be a Menu of some sort with an agreement that Unreal tournament, will not be responsible for tokens lost if you lose connection to the server for any reason, this will then give people a choice before they enter the Wager match.

This leveling system will work independent of Player rank & or ELO. Its just an idea as a nice little grind that will reward you for your time ingame,weather you care for it or not.

Let me know what you guys think, or if you can think of any flaws
    Last edited by Bluebeer; 11-01-2014, 10:25 PM.

I'm in favour of any incentive system! It is an awesome way to keep players in the servers. You laid it out well, but the actual numbers and incentives will need to be talked through a bit more scientifically.

Comment

I love the idea of no level cap, however if the level is determined by the time you have been playing it would lead to inaccuracy, just because you have a total of 2 months playing that doesn't mean you are good at the game, so, if you are, lets say, level 15 but play casually you can end up in a match with someone at level 5 but is a really good player, you are going to lose and then you are going to complain about the leveling system and how broken is.

I think it could be better a profile with stats that shows some general info about the player like overall time playing, accuracy, shots fired, shots missed, air time, win/lose match ratio, etc. Something like the profiles in Quake Live or Perfect Dark and expand it. With this the players can have a personal record they can check and could have both offline and online stats.

Anyway, in order to implement a leveling system there needs to be a server where all this ranks, points, levels, etc can be tracked and that is not easy. It could be an official server from epic or an option that records the stats in other servers and send them to epic after each match.

Now, for the actual leveling, I think it should be both off and on-line, that's because many people don't play online with other players and having to force them to do so in order to get rewards is not good. For the players that play offline there should be an option to connect with the server only for rewards, so they can play offline and still get them. At the end of each map the game will connect to server and update the stats. And for encourage people to play online the rewards should be minor to the one you get if you play online. It's like "hey, here something for you for playing the game, but did you know you can get more if you play with other players instead of bots?"

And for the gambling, as a poker player I can say that I like it, it adds some spice to the mix, but it have to be something that works, beacuse if you have to work hard to get those credits you probably are not going to use them for gambling. Maybe you can buy credits and those credits could be used either in the market place or for the gambling feature you propose, but that leads to microtransactions and thats a system that need to be very very very careful crafted.

This idea could be better presented to see if other people like it.
      Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

Comment

It sounds like a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban-Shadow-001 View Post
          I love the idea of no level cap, however if the level is determined by the time you have been playing it would lead to inaccuracy, just because you have a total of 2 months playing that doesn't mean you are good at the game, so, if you are, lets say, level 15 but play casually you can end up in a match with someone at level 5 but is a really good player, you are going to lose and then you are going to complain about the leveling system and how broken is.

I think it could be better a profile with stats that shows some general info about the player like overall time playing, accuracy, shots fired, shots missed, air time, win/lose match ratio, etc. Something like the profiles in Quake Live or Perfect Dark and expand it. With this the players can have a personal record they can check and could have both offline and online stats.

Anyway, in order to implement a leveling system there needs to be a server where all this ranks, points, levels, etc can be tracked and that is not easy. It could be an official server from epic or an option that records the stats in other servers and send them to epic after each match.
          To explain a little more, This leveling system would be completely separate from your ELO/rank, the leveling system is just something that you will level up while playing, I apologize, I just generalized as an Hours-played to EXP Ration when I said your level representing time played, and you are right that someone level 1 could be just as good as a level 100, this leveling system is just something for you to work at while playing and is in no way intended to be a representation of a players skill. Elo/rank and statistics will/should? be on your profile and that could be used to match you with players of your skill if there is to be any sort of Competitive Matchmaking Que, the idea behind the level system is a player can jump on UT4, play a few public servers, gain a few levels and log off feeling satisfied with making some progress.

Your level could also be tied to your Forum account here and displayed as an Avatar/medal, this will encourage use of the forums and further help strengthen the community. with your level also being tied to your forum account it allows for the leveling system to be completely separate from your Matchmaking rank.

The leveling system I propose is just to give players some incentive to get in the game, play and feel rewarded/made progress.
          Last edited by Bluebeer; 11-01-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Well I think I can work on it this week, at least for a simple visual representation of what it could be.
            Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

Comment

I think we should try to differentiate 'level' from 'rank'. Maybe use an uncapped 'experience' rating number which only goes up, the more kills, flag captures, defends, time played, assists, everything goes into the experience rating.

Meanwhile your 'rank' could be illustrated by a letter 'level' and then your global rank. So players in the lower percentiles would be of, say 'D' rank, then the letters progress up, so you have 'C','B','A', then the top 150 players would be of 'S' class, then the top ten would be of 'U' class. So an average player would be of, say 'C' class, their Rank would look like 'C-34,390'. And a top-tier player would read 'U-5' or 'S-85'.

Comment

well, level is a number and rank is a word, so you wold have a level 1 rookie and a level 4 rookie for example. You can unlock ranks by gaining more levels.

levels can be tied to overall progression while ranks can be tied to acomplishments.... I guess...

Comment

I think you'd want more than one progression track. I would envision something like this:

Overall Level/Rank (0 to Infinity):
                  Rank 1: Requires
                  - Unlock account profile icons, scoreboard "rank" badges, etc.
                  - Progression tracks should be broken down into infinite tiers to encourage progression. Tier 1: Requires 10 points. Tier 2: Requires 20 points. Tier 3: Requires 30 points. Tier 4: Requires 50 points. Tier 5: Requires 80 points. (A point in this context would be a tier in a sub-task, like <Weapon> Mastery, as presented below).

Combat Mastery Track :
                  - <Weapon> Mastery: Tracks <Enforcer, Shock Rifle, Rocket Launcher, etc> kills.
                  - <Weapon> Stunts: Tracks kills made in particular ways. E.g. Combo kills, Loaded Bio, Kills while Linked/Linking, Headshots with Sniper Rifle
                  - <Weapon> Sprees: Consecutive kills made wielding the same weapon
                  - <Weapon> Training: Complete the <Weapon> training course.
                  - Demolisher: Tracks all damage inflicted total, broken down by damagetype
                  - Killing Sprees: Tracks total sprees earned by type/length, awarding a point value for each and collapsing this into an overall progress bar.
                  - Multi Kills: Tracks multi-kills awarded by type, awarding a point value for each and collapsing this into an overall progress bar.

Arena Mastery Track :
                  - <Map> Mastery: Total matches played on <Face, Deck, Turbine, etc>
                  - <Map> Knowledge: Pick up all items on <Map> within a single match
                  - <Map> Tricks: Use the <map-specific secret or trap>. E.g. Kill an opponent on Deck by knocking them into the slime. Depressurize an opponent in Pressure. Find the Damage Amplifier in Curse. (Can be one-time achievements or ongoing progressions.)
                  - <Map> Explorer: Play 3/5/8/12/20 unique maps per day.

Gametype Mastery Track :
                  - <Gametype> Mastery: Total matches of <Gametype> played
                  - <Gametype> Veteran: Play 3/5/8/12/20 matches of <Gametype> per day
                  - Deathmatch (FFA) Kingslayer: Kill the top player of the match
                  - Deathmatch (FFA) Uprising: Kill the closest leading player
                  - Deathmatch (FFA) Authority: Kill the closest trailing player
                  - Deathmatch (FFA) Spread the Love: As the leading player in Deathmatch FFA, achieve a spread of 5/10/15/20 frags.
                  - Capture the Flag: Flag Runner: Capture or assist in the capture of the enemy flag
                  - Capture the Flag: Flag Defender: Defend the flag carrier
                  - Capture the Flag: Flag Fragger: Kill the enemy flag carrier
                  - Capture the Flag: Flag Returner: Return a stolen team flag by touching it
                  Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Honestly... this is exactly what UT needs for the casual players or it will be dead one month after launch like every other arena shooter. UT's current formula has no sticking power. I'm a huge fan, but i have to really motivate myself to play any of the UT's these days. It needs true incentive to keep playing, and i see no reason why this system wouldn't work. Think of it as battlegrounds in an MMO. You kill people to get exp, and the better you do the more exp you get.

Comment

@Wail, I like that a lot, CS:GO Did something like that with the last operation challenge coin they released, the coin would have challenges on it and completing those challenges rewarded some mediocre weapon skins, people loved it, it was a big success for valve, it was there best selling operation challenge coin, people didn't really care for the skins it dropped because they was worthless but people really loved the little challenges the coin was giving out.

The whole idea with my OP, with the rewards, rank/level ect is completely open to debate, I just though I would share my idea and see what other people can come up with and so far there is some good stuff coming up and I appreciate that people are liking the idea and pushing there ideas into the topic. No other Arena shooter I can think of has any sort of system like this. and I firmly believe that implementing something like this in to UT is a step in the right direction of bringing arena shooters back in to the main stream.
                      Last edited by Bluebeer; 11-02-2014, 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling as usual :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebeer View Post
                        and I firmly believe that implementing something like this in to UT is a giant step in the wright direction of bringing arena shooters back in to the main stream.
                        Getting them up in the air.. so to speak?
                        Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Comment

Giving players rewards throughout the gaming experience is a good thing to have but UT4 will get heavy modifications from its users and the incentives like weapon skins may not hold the players for long. But I guess we can overcome that challenge. (:

I think a decent (and infinite) weapon ranking system is essential. The game should collect every kill/assist even damage you do with the weapon you hold and that will get you "Weapon XP" to get you a "Weapon Level". Of course it's only to show off; it won't have a gameplay impact or something like that. With a logarithmic leveling curve, the starters will get more levels by the same XP amount and the veterans of that weapon will be extremely challenged to get another level. Becoming Lvl15 will be a challenge for a newcomer but a veteran may be at Lvl50s... I'm leaving a logarithmic curve here for those who don't know. Also every weapon will get XP if they are used in a match so, in a way, a player may look at the levels s/he get and see the weapons s/he chose as substitutes and may want to work on that specific weapon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	logarithmic.gif
Views:	1
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	331648

Titles... I cannot emphasis on this one. It's one thing to be mauled by "Gorge", and it's another thing to be 'ascended' by "Sapphire, the Embodiment of Lightning Gun" or "Xan, the Watcher of Facing Worlds" or even "Snugglepuss, the Flag Magnet". These titles should be added for a number of things like killshots, headshots, damage, usage percentage, First Blood's by that weapon, etc... We may need to gather a list for the things we want to be tracked by the game. These can be used in many many ways. Of course, using a title is optional and I would like the titles to be "non-modifiable".

Tracking achievements should be there but not to last. What I want to say that, only newcomers should look at them and want to get those. A "Get 587965132948752 kills by shock-rifle" is not the way to go. Achievements should make people wonder "Oh, so that's possible. Maybe I should try it." like "Shocking, Isn't It? - Get 10 Kills by Shock Combo". It can be done in a single match or can be discovered after hours of gameplay. It helps the player to know about the gun s/he's never even used or seen before. Simplified: Achievements should not make people grind. They need to make them experiment.
                          Last edited by Tycerax; 11-02-2014, 08:13 PM.
                          Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

+1 to that, like I said before, I'm working on a profile screen where you can keep track of everything, I'll see if I can add these features and blend it in a nice way to the concept.

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                              I think you'd want more than one progression track. I would envision something like this:

Overall Level/Rank (0 to Infinity):
                              Rank 1: Requires
                              - Unlock account profile icons, scoreboard "rank" badges, etc.
                              - Progression tracks should be broken down into infinite tiers to encourage progression. Tier 1: Requires 10 points. Tier 2: Requires 20 points. Tier 3: Requires 30 points. Tier 4: Requires 50 points. Tier 5: Requires 80 points. (A point in this context would be a tier in a sub-task, like <Weapon> Mastery, as presented below).

Combat Mastery Track :
                              - <Weapon> Mastery: Tracks <Enforcer, Shock Rifle, Rocket Launcher, etc> kills.
                              - <Weapon> Stunts: Tracks kills made in particular ways. E.g. Combo kills, Loaded Bio, Kills while Linked/Linking, Headshots with Sniper Rifle
                              - <Weapon> Sprees: Consecutive kills made wielding the same weapon
                              - <Weapon> Training: Complete the <Weapon> training course.
                              - Demolisher: Tracks all damage inflicted total, broken down by damagetype
                              - Killing Sprees: Tracks total sprees earned by type/length, awarding a point value for each and collapsing this into an overall progress bar.
                              - Multi Kills: Tracks multi-kills awarded by type, awarding a point value for each and collapsing this into an overall progress bar.

Arena Mastery Track :
                              - <Map> Mastery: Total matches played on <Face, Deck, Turbine, etc>
                              - <Map> Knowledge: Pick up all items on <Map> within a single match
                              - <Map> Tricks: Use the <map-specific secret or trap>. E.g. Kill an opponent on Deck by knocking them into the slime. Depressurize an opponent in Pressure. Find the Damage Amplifier in Curse. (Can be one-time achievements or ongoing progressions.)
                              - <Map> Explorer: Play 3/5/8/12/20 unique maps per day.

Gametype Mastery Track :
                              - <Gametype> Mastery: Total matches of <Gametype> played
                              - <Gametype> Veteran: Play 3/5/8/12/20 matches of <Gametype> per day
                              - Deathmatch (FFA) Kingslayer: Kill the top player of the match
                              - Deathmatch (FFA) Uprising: Kill the closest leading player
                              - Deathmatch (FFA) Authority: Kill the closest trailing player
                              - Deathmatch (FFA) Spread the Love: As the leading player in Deathmatch FFA, achieve a spread of 5/10/15/20 frags.
                              - Capture the Flag: Flag Runner: Capture or assist in the capture of the enemy flag
                              - Capture the Flag: Flag Defender: Defend the flag carrier
                              - Capture the Flag: Flag Fragger: Kill the enemy flag carrier
                              - Capture the Flag: Flag Returner: Return a stolen team flag by touching it
                              Yes this is perfect! I would totally want this in the game!

Comment

Working...
                              X