Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CONCEPT Character Creation

TL;DR: this with an Unreal Theme

Unreal Tournament always had great customization options and carácter creation is one of them. UT99 had a placebo for creating a character, you selected a body and a face and your were good to go, and I say placebo because that’s was it, everything else like team color and voice were very limited but it did the job and we felt like it was something infinite. In UT2004 you didn’t have this, you just selected a model and that was it. However in UT3 things were better because now you could pick a model and gear it up, it was a massive improvement but it felt short because of the limitimations of the gear.

For UT4 I would like to see more variaty in the UT3 style but also a lot more of options, that’s why I think the character creation screen should be more like an RPG or in a more concret example, Soul Calibur 5, it’s a great character creation system to look at.

First, there should be a simple menú were you can pick a preset model, a voice and that’s it, you’re done, that should be simple way, but for those who wants to customize their characters there would be an Advanced option were you could change everything from hair to boots.

A video of Soul Calibur IV showing every part you can get in the game for male fighters, it shows more or less what I’m trying to propose.

Every piece of gear works with any type of body, so it’s given that I’m also suggesting different body types for almost any race or specie that would be in the game.

We first select our race or specie, next, if we want male or female and then the body type. Now can start to add some gear, there could be many different ones, some random and other that goes with a team or faction, for example, thundercrash, hellions, juggernauts, necris, etc, and we can combine everything. You can also change the hair and face, color skin, eyes, even the color of the gear, etc. For something more advanced, you could change the voice and tweak it, select different taunt animations and you could see other animations like running or jumping so you could see how your characters looks doing things.
    In servers, players that have a paid model or gear or any custom content that you don’t have, would show up as the “demoguy” or any other random model.

In the market place people could buy or download any piece of gear or a full set, so those who want to do models now have more options to create gear and clothes.

UT3 was very limited (but better than UT99 and UT2004) because you you select a faction and work with what that faction has to offer.

In UT99 you could create your own bots and that’s a feature that I would like to see again and with a characters creation like this it would be great to try it. All the information could be saved in a file with all the settings. Also, no cap for creating bots would be great and the game can pick any bot we create or use the preset models like UT2004.

I know that right now we are still working on core mechanics but at some point this has to be talked about and I would really like to see a character creation implemented like this.
    Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

The problem with such fine tuned character generation in a game like UT is you don't see it. UT characters run at a super human rate and the effect in game is it's hard enough to see the big purple helmet on a player. You'll never see subtle changes. And a system like that takes a good deal of engineering time. I think we are much better off finding ways to decorate our characters vs. a real custom scheme like an RPG.

Comment

Also, your character is not on screen most of the time, so you won't notice it like in some such as Tekken or one of the various walk-quest RPGs out there.

I'd say the most important thing would be to have a few really iconic and inspired characters that fit together rather than ability to generate random uninspired procedural ones. UT3 had interchangeable armor, but I didn't notice the differences or remember them...it looked like amorphous glowing red and blue blobs in the distance for most of the game. Though the character design itself was really great and worthy of praise, esp the Necris, Krall and Ronin.

If any part of a character was swappable, it probably should be the head/face. Human's are wired to pickup subtle differences in faces that they wouldn't notice in anything else. It would actually make characters more distinct than weather their armor has 5 spikes or 3! There's a long boring explanation of why that is which i won't go into. In UT99, the texture for the face was swappable, and in UT2k4...you couldn't mix and match the textures, but the same mesh with a different face texture was used for a different pickable character.

Heads have to be severed for head-shots anyway, so make this a separate mesh might not be a terrible idea. The other big thing you could use to differentiate a character in UT99 was change the color between 4 choices, even for non team games. Since the characters often look like a blob of color in the distance, differentiating by a colored pattern overlayed on the armor would be more noticeable. I would think this is easier to implement now with the materials system and the layer made part of the team colors for team games.

//bleh, long post

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
        The problem with such fine tuned character generation in a game like UT is you don't see it. UT characters run at a super human rate and the effect in game is it's hard enough to see the big purple helmet on a player. You'll never see subtle changes. And a system like that takes a good deal of engineering time. I think we are much better off finding ways to decorate our characters vs. a real custom scheme like an RPG.
        Glad you see it this way. I thought UT3's customization was cool for about a day, then realised how it had almost no impact on how the characters looked, let alone what you could see of them in game. I much preferred 2k4's style of lots of varied characters across different themes or races. Although like gregori said, instead of having two different characters with only different faces, it would be nice to have the UT99 option to cycle through faces.

Something I'm really looking forward too is what happens with chaacters/weapons in the marketplace. If you have a custom skinned weapon and you die, someone else could pick that up and see the skin you have for it. We might get alot more characters or voice types than a normal UT would have.
        UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
        Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Im already happy if zombiefaces were in!
          GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Is it possible to make the team colors and all the associated environmental objects for teams have a smart grey-scale material overlayed that automatically changes the color channel of everything depending on what team because it has a tag telling it to do this if such and such is the case? So that teams are just A and B (or C and D if you would like to do 4-person capture the flag mod) rather than red and blue, and the colors for A and B can be set to a few different things?

I've heard some people complain that red and blue is bad for some kinds of color blindness, so having a few choice of team color might not be bad, without having to create individual skins for every possibility. (and for the brightskins crowd, the possibility to tick this texture layer to self illuminate?) So, say: Red, Orange, Gold, Green, Cyan, Blue, Purple, Pink (Black and white are not included because they'd have obvious cheating advantages)

Comment

Originally posted by Gregori View Post
              Is it possible to make the team colors and all the associated environmental objects for teams have a smart grey-scale material overlayed that automatically changes the color channel of everything depending on what team because it has a tag telling it to do this if such and such is the case? So that teams are just A and B (or C and D if you would like to do 4-person capture the flag mod) rather than red and blue, and the colors for A and B can be set to a few different things?

I've heard some people complain that red and blue is bad for some kinds of color blindness, so having a few choice of team color might not be bad, without having to create individual skins for every possibility. (and for the brightskins crowd, the possibility to tick this texture layer to self illuminate?) So, say: Red, Orange, Gold, Green, Cyan, Blue, Purple, Pink (Black and white are not included because they'd have obvious cheating advantages)

I think it's an excellent idea to handle team coloration this way but I am not sure it will happen. It's best if a decision is made on doing things this way early so art is created knowing that's how it'll work. Actually since we have team banners already in some of the maps (and halftime) I may see about setting up a basic color-swapping team banner actor at some point.
              Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I'm out for one day... one day... LOL

Originally posted by JoeWilcox
                I admit that at first it's really over the top, and I agree that as it is, is just too much and really doesn't have a impact in gameplay, however I was thinking in something more simple. Let me expand a little.

The main concept is to used a character creation like UT3 to give more personality to our characters and bots and from there, have preset models like UT2004 with the ability to change colors like UT99 based on this.

So, by having a based model we ensure that everything will work on it, let's say humans, you could change it's face, maybe it's hair, then you pick a color from a palette, next, you put the gear on, and finally you could change the color of the gear to see who it looks in team colors or something more advanced like changing the color for each part of the gear.

With something like this I think it could be easier to design the characters for the game, in UT99 they all were the same model and from there it exapnded with some tweaks, under male soldier you got the marines, rawsteel, machines, and others, while mercenaries were a different model, the only thing that change was the texture. UT2004 were complete models with just a face swap (boring). UT3 had the best system, but it suffers from several limitations, you could only use parts of that particular faction and you had to select a model anyway and decorated them with the same parts that others in the same faction were using. UT3 was a step forward in the right direction, not a big step, but it was something.

I think the mayor role of a good character creation system is not 100% about how you look or how you look in game, it's more about that final shot at the end of the match were you win and your character is displayed in all the other screens, you want to look good while making taunt. It's more about how it feels rather than how it looks.

There are other things like voices and taunts that can be customized, in the first video we see that there different voices, something that UT already has, but also you can change the tone making it more different and unique. Hearing the same voices over and over and over becomes boring after a while, so this could be a good option or just having more voices recorded could work too.

Taunts are the same as voices, just a few and that's it, maybe more taunts could be created but we can only select 2 or 3, again, this one is more about how it feels rather than how it looks.

It's more simplier than it looks but I put the videos because they captured very well what I was trying to say and they weren't ment to be taken literally, otherwise this could be a really long thread.

Originally posted by Gregori

Originally posted by Wail
                I think it's an excellent idea to handle team coloration this way but I am not sure it will happen. It's best if a decision is made on doing things this way early so art is created knowing that's how it'll work. Actually since we have team banners already in some of the maps (and halftime) I may see about setting up a basic color-swapping team banner actor at some point.
                More than 2 team colors is something that needs to come back, I would love some good old 4 team domination (that 4-person ctf was weird IMO, interesting but weird). The colors red, blue, gold, green are the classics, purple, pink cyan and orange can be the new ones but with a very distinctive tone so no one can be confused with red and orange/pink, blue and cyan/purple. Black and white as color team could be interesting but I see them more for individual characters.

A smart grey-scale material sounds like a good idea, not sure about how those works, but sounds like a plan. I was thinking more on a smart lighting, I think it's easier. However, the mapper would need to slap that material into almost everithing on the map and not all the textures would be the same, again, not sure about how it would work but I'm sure it would look amazing.

Also, the characters could be outlined in the color of their team, if high-lighting characters isn't enough.

Change the name of the teams from colors to letters could be confusing, I think is better to record the extra voices with the other colors. The option for color blindness should be there anyway, it just adjust the color of what is on the screen and maybe the anouncer, in the end, all of that is client-side.

Anyway, this character creation system is more tied to my other concept posts, including a single player mode and a player profile that I hope to upload soon.
                Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                  The reason that I'd want a (at least) moderate character creation (SoulCalibur is an excellent example; Tekken's (TTT2) character "modification" is god-tier), is the personification of the character. It is heavily seen on RPG games where your character does deeds that change the world and it is you (at least your "persona") who did it. It gives an additional sense of accomplishment. In FPS's, it is different because even if you don't see the character, it actually is you who shot the right gun at the right time. So many FPS's didn't bother to add anything else. But why not be like everybody else when you can make a difference? Also if there'll be Online Profiles, it'll be extremely nice to have the player model in it.

It is obvious that it'll take a good deal of time & work but I think this can be implemented at any time; even after launch. I'm not saying it's not required or the game won't be good without it but it'll be a nice addition.
                  Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Working...
                  X