Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Options Menu should include "Competition Mode".

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Video Options Menu should include "Competition Mode".

    Like every other game out there, the UT4 Options Menu will allow us to either increase or decrease the level of graphical detail. However, when it comes to high-end play, most users take it to the next step by editing their .ini files. There are features that can be disabled within the .ini files that will greatly increasing performance.

    It would be nice to have something like this within the UT4 System Menu:

    Video Options Menu

    #1. Extreme - Max Detail / Max Effects
    #2. High - High Detail / Medium Effects
    #3. Medium - Medium Detail / Effects
    #4. Low - Low Detail / Low Effects
    #5. Competition Mode - Lowest Detail Possible / picmip / Disabling of virtually all "eye candy" .ini effects

    I know that there are some people who view such low detail as an unfair advantage. Thus, perhaps "Competition Mode" should be something that must be enabled/approved by the server admin.

    What say you?
    www.mouserpad.com

    #2
    Somewhat tangential but what about even just having a couple of settings profiles you can swap between? It would be helpful for the people who have to keep multiple settings configurations around for playing, streaming, taking screenshots, etc.

    Any settings that increase performance should be accessible in options menus, and if the game is properly designed for readability and gameplay then (in theory) there shouldn't be a need for the extreme levels of tweaks that people used for some of the previous games. Some visual options are personal preferences but it'd be nice if players didn't feel like certain settings must be changed in order to play as effectively (i.e. foliage).

    Comment


      #3
      Can we have an even more "Pro" space invaders mode, that does away with noob eye candy things like textured surfaces, any color/brightness variation or lighting. It can be just pew pew against monochromatic red and blue dots in a world of white outlined orthogonal spaces :P


      Seriously, I don't think they should put that in the menu because it just encourages things that I consider a form of cheating and should be frowned upon. Lower graphic settings are not to give 600 million frames per second for people on $2k computers, its to allow the game to have ok performance for those who have older or lower end systems I think we should make it at least a bit of effort to lower the graphics that much.

      //I know it shouldn't annoy me, if i don't like it, i don't have to do it to my own graphics....but at the same time, the artist in me gets a little annoyed that anyone would deliberately blur super detailed art work people have poured tones of hours into making...just to gain some tiny little edge on other players.

      Comment


        #4
        People only do this for visibility. In fact, in UT2004 and UT3 picmip didn't increase framerates at all. I would be fine with having settings profiles but I think Epic should try to disable stuff like picmip from working as much as possible. The lowest settings should still look like the game.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Gregori View Post
          Can we have an even more "Pro" space invaders mode, that does away with noob eye candy things like textured surfaces, any color/brightness variation or lighting. It can be just pew pew against monochromatic red and blue dots in a world of white outlined orthogonal spaces :P


          Seriously, I don't think they should put that in the menu because it just encourages things that I consider a form of cheating and should be frowned upon. Lower graphic settings are not to give 600 million frames per second for people on $2k computers, its to allow the game to have ok performance for those who have older or lower end systems I think we should make it at least a bit of effort to lower the graphics that much.

          //I know it shouldn't annoy me, if i don't like it, i don't have to do it to my own graphics....but at the same time, the artist in me gets a little annoyed that anyone would deliberately blur super detailed art work people have poured tones of hours into making...just to gain some tiny little edge on other players.
          Well some people like me prefer smooth framerates over good graphics. Even if not playing competitively I prefer my games to run at my refresh rate or higher, even if that means making them look blurry. And considering I have a weak PC I really hope UT4 will support very low graphics details

          Comment


            #6
            +1 for lower graphic details, but nothing called "competition mode" XD
            Make it simple for people who are not used to playing real PC games and don't wanna be bothered with what setting does what, give the possibility to change to "Advanced" settings for people who know what they're doing.

            Also, having the possibility to lower graphic settings that much could allow even computers without a dedicated GPU (no graphics card, like some workstations) to play the game with OK framerates... Means more people playing

            Comment


              #7
              people who play with picmip and hotrod their .ini's tend not to use graphic presets

              Comment


                #8
                I wasn't really talking about that. Not everyone wants to use picmip and "hotrod" their .ini lol. Some will only want it to look nice for the hardware they have and play for fun

                Some are just too noob to mess around with graphic settings and will want it as simple as it can get. Making it easy and accessible to alot of rigs will appeal to many people.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                  People only do this for visibility. In fact, in UT2004 and UT3 picmip didn't increase framerates at all. I would be fine with having settings profiles but I think Epic should try to disable stuff like picmip from working as much as possible. The lowest settings should still look like the game.
                  Agreed. When I watch CounterStrike: GO streams one of the things I like is that it's actually the same game that I have played. People generally don't [and shouldn't have to] mess with graphics settings that much.
                  Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

                  Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

                  Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

                  Comment


                    #10
                    This is a good idea. I actually prefer to play with max stetic and texture settings and pretty much leaving everything else off. I enjoy seeing HD textures.

                    In Quake live and Cpma I did enjoy using picmip for the sake of picmip. I just hope all maps in UT will be accessible to different graphical settings.
                    Steam
                    irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                    UT Username - nvz
                    gg! Galaxy Gaming Community


                    SPECS
                    || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

                    #PREALPHA

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I don't want the game to have lens flare and bloom all over the place but I don't want it to look like its on the N64 either. There's a happy middle ground. The customization options should just all be in the menu. I don't like screwing around with ini files.

                      For the really absurdly detailed "everything that looks better than Doom 1 is disabled, I NEED MAX FPS" I think its OK to leave that stuff to the ini though. I just don't want to have to screw with the ini to have to disable some of the more annoying visual elements and stuff that greatly improves the framerate.

                      Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                      People only do this for visibility. In fact, in UT2004 and UT3 picmip didn't increase framerates at all. I would be fine with having settings profiles but I think Epic should try to disable stuff like picmip from working as much as possible. The lowest settings should still look like the game.
                      I agree with this too, and as much as people are going to crucify me for this lighting can actually work into the balance of a map in terms of how well illuminated certain areas are and where you want the player's eye to be drawn in terms of powerup/weapon placement.

                      My opinion on this is in the middle. I want a framerate that makes the game playable but I still want it to look like I'm playing a game from this century.
                      Last edited by FuLLBLeeD; 11-20-2014, 12:04 AM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by de`pain View Post
                        Like every other game out there, the UT4 Options Menu will allow us to either increase or decrease the level of graphical detail. However, when it comes to high-end play, most users take it to the next step by editing their .ini files. There are features that can be disabled within the .ini files that will greatly increasing performance.

                        It would be nice to have something like this within the UT4 System Menu:

                        Video Options Menu

                        #1. Extreme - Max Detail / Max Effects
                        #2. High - High Detail / Medium Effects
                        #3. Medium - Medium Detail / Effects
                        #4. Low - Low Detail / Low Effects
                        #5. Competition Mode - Lowest Detail Possible / picmip / Disabling of virtually all "eye candy" .ini effects

                        I know that there are some people who view such low detail as an unfair advantage. Thus, perhaps "Competition Mode" should be something that must be enabled/approved by the server admin.

                        What say you?
                        While it appear that it could be a nice idea to me. After reading your post, I say that your taste are not like mine: I do not need 300 fps and playing with super ugly graphics is not really fun. So I mean that in my case I need like 60 fps to be very competitive, this is for sure not "lowest detail possible".

                        Another problem is how can they set all this settings when we know that everybody got a different pc?

                        Not sure if competition is most important thing for the ut community but if it's not I'd not put time into that.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          This (Quake picmip) gives tons of advantage over user who uses "normal" graphics setting

                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'm of the opinion that it's not really skilful to remove all of the standard level detail "noise". Do you get this sort of luxury in real life on the battlefield or is it your own sharp eye that has to decide whether you live or die?

                            Regardless people are going to lower everything as much as they possibly can and add glowing beacons to show up from the other side of the map... so may as well just allow it from the get go.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Competition mode should lock the game at 120 fps and max settings. If the whole scene can't be rendered, just send out the half-rendered scene anyway.
                              After they realize they can't see where they're going, the competitive community will be forced to buy boss computers.

                              And then Nvidia will pay you oodles to get their name on it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X