New Reward Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] New Reward Announcements

I wanted to start a conversation about the Reward Announcer, and brainstorm some ideas for new events that might trigger an announcement. Don’t worry about which set of recordings we’ll use, or which voice – that’s a separate discussion altogether. Right now, we’re just looking for game events that you think should trigger an announcement, and what you think that announcement might be. Examples we’ve tossed around in the office are:
    • Juggle someone with shock beam (hit them with second shot while they're in the air from the first shot) and kill them:
      o Shock Therapy
    • One flag carrier kills another flag carrier:
      o Smackdown
    • Kill someone in one shot when they had 150+ life/armor:
      o Butchered
    • Ignite someone else's shock ball with your own beam, resulting in a frag:
      o Interception
    • Kill someone with a shock combo that you hit while in the air:
      o Bullseye
    • Kill someone who was in the air with a rocket that you fire while also in the air:
      o Torpedo
    • Kill someone within ~500 units of a live powerup:
      o Rejected
    • Kill someone while they are in midair:
      o Sharpshooter

Important note: The names listed above (“Butchered”, “Interception”, “Shock Therapy”, etc.) are only examples. I chose them because we already have them recorded, along with the legal rights to use those recordings. Some other lines that meet those conditions are:
    • Breaker
    • Butchered
    • Cannibalize
    • Devastation
    • Eightball
    • Humiliating
    • Impossible
    • Intercepted
    • Killing Blow
    • No Mercy
    • Overload
    • Owned
    • Predator
    • Smackdown

This does not mean that we have to use these lines or the names, only that we happen to have them available.

The Announcer is a great way to provide feedback and reward players for doing interesting things in game, but if it plays TOO often, then it just becomes noise, so we need to strike a balance. When you're developing ideas, consider that the thing we're rewarding is special, and not just something that happens all the time. We’d love for you guys to come up with some new ideas, and hear your thoughts!
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

I love it!

I'll give a few ideas:

#1. Killing someone by jumping on their head:

#2. Killing someone when you only have 1hp left:
    • Survivor

#3. Absorbing over 500 DMG in 1 life with that horrid Shield Gun:
    • Wussy
    Last edited by de`pain; 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM.
    www.mouserpad.com

Comment

"Kill someone while they are in midair" is probably too much as it happens more often. I would preserve the name SharpShooter for a different reward, like shooting a guys with 100% accuracy with a Enforcer.

I also see a overdose of ShockRifle/Rocket rewards. Every weapon should get a reward.

My additions:
      • No Mercy/Killing Blow
        Killing someone with the Impact Hammer from behind
      • SharpShooter
        Killing a guy with more than 2 shots and 100% accuary with the Enforcer (every shot has hit) [for ShockRifle, 3/4 shots 100% acc]
      • Overload
        Killing a guy with a sticky Bio-Glob with a different weapon than BioRifle
      • Eightball
        Killing two or more guys with one single Flak Shell
      • Impossible
        Shooting/denying a Redeemer down with a single Enforcer hit (maybe even with 100%, no previous shot)
      • Intercepted
        Killing a remotely Redeemer controlling guy
      • Torpedo
        Killing a guy (player not vehicle) with the Avril missile when he recently left the vehicle (happens often as people tend to leave vehicles on "Missile Lock-on", and the enemy vehicle is still intact)
      • Killing Blow
        Killing a guy with a grazing shot (Flak Shell, Rocket, Avril)
      • Owned
        Killing a guy with Link Beam and >90% accuracy
      • Predator
        Killing a guy with a combo with the ShockBall from a different player (not the one you killed with that combo)
      • Breaker
        Firing a full magazine with the Stinger and the last shot kills the guy
      • Humiliating
        Killing a feigning player
      • Killing Blow
        Pushing guys off the map with the Stinger Shards and getting the kill
      • Owned
        In-Air dodged no-scope Headshot with Sniper Rifle (no idea where this would coming from... )
      • Devastation
        Killing a guy with 80% of the max damage of the Triple Rockets
      • Eightball
        Shooting a shock ball in air (or from ground), jumping and combo-ing a player while being in mid-air (with JumpBoots)

PS: Bullseye should be reserved for vehicle gametypes ;-).
      Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 12-09-2014, 04:45 PM. Reason: Correction
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Almost all of these (to me) seem more like achievements and stat-tracking events than announcements.

In UT2004 there was an announcer cue for every time you stole an enemy vehicle or ran over an enemy with a vehicle. It was kind of excessive hearing "Hijacked!" and "Roadkill!" every time.

I did like the weapon-spree announcements, "Rocket Scientist" etc.
        In UT2004 TAM introduced the announcement "Overkill" which was when an enemy was killed with a hit that did X more damage than they had health remaining. I thought that was nice, it occurred with a reasonable amount of frequency where it felt rewarding but it wasn't happening on every kill. The exact value needed for Overkill could be tweaked too to handle how common it is.

When you kill two people with a Shock Combo, replacing "Double Kill" with "Combo Kill" might also be neat.
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
          Almost all of these (to me) seem more like achievements and stat-tracking events than announcements.
          It's about rewards and not how these things are display/announced. Rewards/achievements is something similar. But I would say achievement is something comprehensive throughout the game (not just a single match) - like getting ?-Reward for more than X times would result into a achievement.

In UT2004 there was an announcer cue for every time you stole an enemy vehicle or ran over an enemy with a vehicle. It was kind of excessive hearing "Hijacked!" and "Roadkill!" every time.
          It might be a overkill that every kill gets announced, but at the same time it is somehow refreshing - Bullseye for instance (killing a Air-Vehicle with the Tank's primary gun). "Roadkill" did vary from that to "Vehicular manslaughter", "Road Rampage", and "Hit'n'run" in UT3 (example video).
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
            It's about rewards and not how these things are display/announced.
            I'm just going based off of what Jim said,

The Announcer is a great way to provide feedback and reward players for doing interesting things in game, but if it plays TOO often, then it just becomes noise, so we need to strike a balance...
            I would be totally for almost all of the mentioned scenarios being rewarded in some way, but the context I'm speaking about in this thread is specifically for the audio announcer. When it comes to announced game events, I think if we start getting too many, or too specific, it's very easy to get to a state where every kill has some kind of announcement. That dilutes their value and starts to turn into noise as Jim said.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I think if we start getting too many, or too specific, it's very easy to get to a state where every kill has some kind of announcement. That dilutes their value and starts to turn into noise as Jim said.
              That's why this thread is made up ... "brainstorm some ideas for new events that might trigger an announcement". We need to find the ones which are actually rewarding the player with an additional audio announcment for immersion without being too annoying.

IMO, the only high frequent rewards could be:
              Originally posted by Entropy View Post
              • Kill someone with a shock combo that you hit while in the air:
                o Bullseye
              • Kill someone who was in the air with a rocket that you fire while also in the air:
                o Torpedo
              • Kill someone within ~500 units of a live powerup:
                o Rejected
              • Kill someone while they are in midair:
                o Sharpshooter
              I tried to find rewards that happen quite rarely. If such rewards might be too noisy, we should then think about weapon sounds, kill message, kill-spree announcments and projectile effects etc. as wel .
              Bulletstorm, for instance, wasn't noisy at all but all these rewards were rewarding and you tried to get special ones. It was Bulletstorm's concept. You could say, Bulletstorm is not an arena FPS, but then we should get rid of any rewards if UT cannot have such things which could "clutter" the game and destroy the "visual clarity".

Comment

Juggle someone with shock beam (hit them with second shot while they're in the air from the first shot) and kill them:
                o Shock Therapy

I feel this reward would happen far too often and would get over played quickly.

One flag carrier kills another flag carrier:
                o Smackdown

I like this one.

Kill someone in one shot when they had 150+ life/armor:
                o Butchered

Not sure yet, but again might happen too often.

Ignite someone else's shock ball with your own beam, resulting in a frag:
                o Interception

I think something like "Blow Back" or "Back Fire" would be better suited.

Kill someone with a shock combo that you hit while in the air:
                o Bullseye

This would be really hard, I think it would be comical and rewarding if the is said something like "Botter".

Kill someone who was in the air with a rocket that you fire while also in the air:
                o Torpedo

Again, "Botter". Its just such a hard move to pull off that being able to do those moves usually causes people to start crying hack.

Kill someone within ~500 units of a live powerup:
                o Rejected

Would happen way too often and more often than not would not be intentional. This is also the message that plays when you stop someone from capping at the last second, which I really like there.

Kill someone while they are in midair:
                o Sharpshooter

I like the reward idea, but that one just seems boring. What about the announcer shouting "PULL!!" like they do when firing at clay pigeons?

We need to be careful with announcer messages. Make them happen to often and players will get tired of hearing them, make them happen for things that players dont really feel is a reward will annoy players. I think this UT needs to branch out into modern pop culture and internet a bit more this time around with the messages. Keep the classics for sure, but if we are going to add new ones, lets make more real and more fun. The announcer should be a real human being, not a mindless computer that just repeats the same static expected messages every time. Give the announcer some personality, different announcements for the same move, however still obvious being tied to the same action.
                PayBack

Comment

Some ideas:

Head shot someone with sniper rifle while you are in mid-air:
                  INCREDIBLE

Get a 5x monster kill will transverse to:
                  HOLY ****.
                  Steam
                  irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                  UT Username - nvz
                  gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                  || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Im very much in favour of some new announcer rewards but some of the ones you mentioned seem a little bit over the top. The announcer should only play when something really crazy happened.

Juggle someone with shock beam (hit them with second shot while they're in the air from the first shot) and kill them:
                    o Shock Therapy
                    I agree with Jay, this will happen way too often, I rather would have it like this:

Kill someone with 100+ health with x amount of consecutive primary shock shots. Does mean that when you kill someone with 100 HP with 3 shots without missing one you get the "Shock Therapy" announcer. It does also mean that you have to hit at least 3 shots in row to get the announcement (which is already very satisfying), enforcing the satisfaction by playing a short announcer cue would be great.

One flag carrier kills another flag carrier:
                    o Smackdown
                    I also like this one, seems like a rare happening and would definitely justify an announcer cue.

I dont really like all the other ones, they seem to happen too regularly to justify beeing rewarded...
                    I also want to mention that there shouldnt be any new rewards that already involve a multi kill announcer(double kill.... )
                    Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
                    Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

I really like most of the examples you provided in the OP, Entropy (especially Shock Therapy)! I think they are all rather fitting and are unique enough situation wise to make sense if they are included in the game. I do think a more fitting term for the "Torpedo" one would probably be "Dogfight" though since it involves 2 players being in mid air.

Also, making sure the reward announcer doesn't state lines too often is a concern that makes sense and for the exact reason you stated in the OP. I think that if there are too many reward announcements that are too easy to get it could cause a problem, however I don't think having alot of award announcements in general would be a problem, as long as most of them require some amount of skill or special circumstances to get them.

Anyhow, here are some ideas i can come up with for new announcements:

Killing an enemy with 5hp or less in 1 shot:
                      No Mercy/Killing Blow

Catching the ball in Bombing Run that was recently in the hands of an enemy player and was ~3000 units away (or so) from your team's goal:
                      Goalkeeper/Rebound

Killing 3 players with 3 seperate rockets launched at once using the Rocket Launcher:
                      Eightball

Getting a Multi Kill or higher while exclusively using the Dual Enforcers:
                      Gunslinger

Killing an player on the enemy team in any team based gamemode who is dominating:
                      Avenger/Revenger

Killing a player about 5000 units away or more with any weapon that isn't long range (Sniper Rifle):
                      Farsighted

Killing a player who is currently at a monster kill or higher:
                      Combo Breaker

Picking up 2 power ups within 5 seconds of picking up the first one:
                      Power Collector

Killing the same enemy player in one life 5 times in a row:
                      Owned

Killing all players except yourself in a DM game with 6+ players with the Redeemer:
                      Devastation

Completing an Assault Objective while also killing an enemy player at the same time:
                      Multi-Tasker

Taking 3000 or more points of damage in one life without dying:
                      Endurance

I have plenty more ideas for stuff like this, so I might share some more ideas for reward announcements later. Hope some of you like the ideas for reward announcements I've presented here, though.

Comment

Announcer rewards get old very fast I think.. but I can live with the rare ones... better yet, make them editable / customizable by server owners! Server owner could either shut them off, or upload their own sounds! I have some great recording equipment. :-)
                        -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
                        BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

Comment

Originally posted by UffDa View Post
                          Announcer rewards get old very fast I think.. but I can live with the rare ones... better yet, make them editable / customizable by server owners! Server owner could either shut them off, or upload their own sounds! I have some great recording equipment. :-)
                          Personally I feel like something like that would be better as a client side thing rather than a server side thing. That way, if someone doesn't like reward announcements they can either limit which reward announcements get played or turn them off completely for themselves, or can listen to a custom reward announcer mod that they downloaded for themselves, rather than forcing people who like reward announcements to have to play without them on a server or forcing players to have to listen to an reward announcer that other players may dislike.

Comment

Originally posted by MacD11 View Post
                            Personally I feel like something like that would be better as a client side thing rather than a server side thing. That way, if someone doesn't like reward announcements they can either limit which reward announcements get played or turn them off completely for themselves, or can listen to a custom reward announcer mod that they downloaded for themselves, rather than forcing people who like reward announcements to have to play without them on a server or forcing players to have to listen to an reward announcer that other players may dislike.

That makes sense. Maybe a combination though:

Client Options:
                            - Can limit And/Or shutoff reward announcements.

Server Owners:
                            - Can apply a mod that is auto downloaded to client via redirect

The idea with server-side is that each server can offer unique things.. and a server owner can build the type of experience that they want to offer to the visitors.
                            -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
                            BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

Comment

Originally posted by UffDa View Post
                              That makes sense. Maybe a combination though:

Client Options:
                              - Can limit And/Or shutoff reward announcements.

Server Owners:
                              - Can apply a mod that is auto downloaded to client via redirect

The idea with server-side is that each server can offer unique things.. and a server owner can build the type of experience that they want to offer to the visitors.
                              Yeah, that sounds like it would work well, and it makes sense especially when considering what your saying about the server owner wanting to be able to make their server stand out from others.

I think that would likely be the (basic, at least) way to go when it comes to client side and server side reward announcer stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X