This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] How to participate in design discussions

Everyone on these forums loves Unreal Tournament, and we all have ideas about what we want to see in the game. Please participate in a constructive and considerate manner. If you disagree, don’t attack the person or the idea, but provide well considered counter points – that’s how you can actually sway opinion and contribute effectively. This is true any time you express your opinion: providing reasoned supporting arguments for your position is the most effective way to promote your ideas.

If you haven’t played the previous Unreal Tournament titles recently, we'd really appreciate if you'd go back and re-familiarize yourself with all of them (not just your favorite). When you are playing try to deconstruct the mechanic we are discussing, and breakdown exactly what you like and don’t like, not just in terms of the mechanic itself, but also in how it impacts other game elements. We’ve put the old titles on sale on Steam in case you don’t have all of them right now.

We are creating sub-forums to organize the most common topics of discussion.

This post also has some good pointers on how to participate on these forums.

Super excited!
    Steve Polge
    Last edited by FIXMESTEVE; 05-20-2014, 05:44 PM.

Also, we'll be creating subforums to organize design discussions, starting with the areas that need work first.

Comment

Thank you for the post, Steve. Not much else to say except that I agree wholeheartedly. Edit: Subforums are also a welcome addition to me.

Comment

Fantastic.
        Dueling Flak Cannons
        We see the shells falling
        Together, we die

Comment

Sounds good, looking forward to a little more structure.

Comment

Really looking forward to getting to some level design.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
              Everyone on these forums loves Unreal Tournament, and we all have ideas about what we want to see in the game. Please participate in a constructive and considerate manner. If you disagree, don’t attack the person or the idea, but provide well considered counter points – that’s how you can actually sway opinion and contribute effectively. This is true any time you express your opinion: providing reasoned supporting arguments for your position is the most effective way to promote your ideas.

If you haven’t played the previous Unreal Tournament titles recently, we'd really appreciate if you'd go back and re-familiarize yourself with all of them (not just your favorite). When you are playing try to deconstruct the mechanic we are discussing, and breakdown exactly what you like and don’t like, not just in terms of the mechanic itself, but also in how it impacts other game elements. We’ve put the old titles on sale on Steam in case you don’t have all of them right now.

Super excited!
              Steve Polge
              Mr. Polge, I appreciate your help for this new project. I have asked around a little and I cannot get a straight answer, and I was wondering if it were okay for say if a person who was not currently subscribed to the Unreal Engine 4 SDK to upload raw data to this forum like audio files, 3d models, textures, concept art and small scripts for you guys to pick out. I think that a lot of people are talented in different ways, some people might not necessarily have much use for the UE4 Editor or may not be able to afford it. So if there is any way for people to help externally, is it okay if we just throw anything out there in the forums in case it may come in hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
                Also, we'll be creating subforums to organize design discussions, starting with the areas that need work first.
                Is it possible to add a fixed set of tags like "movement", "weapons", "setting", "game mode"? This will make search for the threads much easier. May be the same system that is used on Epic forums in release forums for UT series?
                "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                - RenegadeRetard

Comment

I don't recommend posting content to these forums. We are discussing internally the best way to accept art submissions as GitHub is not ideally suited for this either. Keep in mind also that there will be lots of opportunities to contribute to mod teams as well - that may be a better avenue for contributions in your case if you don't have UE4, as we'll want content that has been test and optimized for UE4 and Unreal Tournament.

Comment

Thank You Steven, also are you guys going to have an update about the new UT on Thursday?
                    History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                    UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                    UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                    UT Main Menu Design

Comment

When you are passionate about a game it is hard to keep you cool in the face of some arguments from people who don't want to pay $19 for the best engine in the world with a free game developed with a potentially unlimited amount of man hours from the community and Epic.. I'm trying though Steven.... I'm trying so hard.
                      If you see Scaleform give it a hug from me !
                      http://www.f00n.com/unreal

Comment

Thanks, Steve! I'm thrilled Epic has chosen to work with the fans. UT'99 was an integral part of my highschool experience and UT2k4 made college a blast. Despite the roadbumps I've still gotten a lot of milage out of UT3 and I cannot wait to see what Epic and UT's devoted fans are able to develop through our joint efforts.
                        I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

Great way to kick off the project, Steve. Strong, positive message that I think we would all do well to keep in mind throughout the development of this project. Looking forward to contributing and watching this grow into an amazing game.

Comment

A measly -50%? Guys, please, thats how steam sales work

Comment

Originally posted by SavagE View Post
                              A measly -50%? Guys, please, thats how steam sales work
                              As much as I think that the price is well worth it for so many excellent games I have to agree here. The Unreal Deal Pack is around the place 40 on the top sellers list right now because Steam users are spoiled by the ridiculous sales and bundles they get. A 75% off sale could really boost the people who'd buy into the old games because of the excitement over the new announcement.

Also I'd really like to see some population on the UT3 servers because the game is dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X