Gravity Actors - A new dimension to gamelpay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravity Actors - A new dimension to gamelpay

The one primary thing that I've always found weak in Unreal Engine 3 was very limited options for using gravity in creative ways.
    I've always wanted to take UT3 to the 'next level' and I'd like to hope that the programmers at Epic could make my dream a reality for the new Unreal Tournament and give us 2 new actors that manipulate gravity and player orientation within the game.

What I suggest below will add a whole new dimension to gameplay in Unreal Tournament allowing level designers to reach new heights in creative level building. I believe it will also completely separate the new Unreal Tournament from all other multiplayer shooters on the market! Now with the realm of VR we can truly take players out of this world and change their perception of which way is up!

Now that the all big hype statement is done, if Epic are able to create the two actors I describe below I believe we could all be in for a treat!
    Here's a quick pic of what I mean:

Please enjoy all my crappy pics below!

Gravity actors
    Effect: Pulls a player towards a surface whilst also changing their orientation so their feet are always closer to the gravity source.
    The gravity has a fade distance (out to the global gravity setting) so the player is able to escape the gravity zone if required.

Actors

Gravity point:
    Similar to a point light except it creates a gravity field pulling players towards a central point!
    Usage: Mainly for embedding within other rounded actors so players can walk around all surfaces.
    Example: Create walking surfaces on asteroids and cylinders.

Gravity Volume:
    Is like other volumes except one side is the 'attraction side' that pulls the player towards it. The attraction side also determines the player orientation.

Suggestions on implementation:
    In the event of an overlap of volumes the volume that has most of the player in it takes priority. In the event two volumes have an equal amount of the player object in them then the volume priority is used.

A heavy zone could be used where if the player initiates a vertical jump within this zone they cannot leave the gravity volume. Players can exit volumes if they have enough momentum to get most of their body out of the volume.

With right angled situations players jump into the volume so their orientation is changed.

Outside of a gravity volume players are affected by the global setting. If the global setting is 'zero gravity' players continue moving at the same velocity and direction they were at when leaving the volume.

Level Design considerations:

Use of objects and static meshes to allow the players to leave volumes.

For non-round surfaces use multiple gravity volumes rather than a gravity point actor.

If global gravity is zero, manage floating players!

Use Jump pads to get players topside to underside.
    Below are examples of level layout taken from a side view!

Hope you guys find this possibility as interesting as I do!
    Last edited by Lord_Porksword; 05-10-2014, 08:45 AM.
    Unreal Old Friends
    My previous Unreal work

So what you're saying is...
    ????
    Attached Files

Comment

Exactly Mate!
      Escher goodness indeed!
      Unreal Old Friends
      My previous Unreal work

Comment

yeah great, had the same idea but u worked it out pretty well.

Comment

I've always wanted UT maps to be like that. Good job with the very well explained post!
          DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

yes please. ut2k3 had a spider walking mode where your feet would always stick to the surface. this allowed to walk 360's and was realy awsome it did however not allow jumping... a jump just rotated you back to the origional gravity.
            in the old ut's you did not have this option but atleast the looks of it could be faked by using warpzones in a nice way. but that was far from ideal!
            - ZixXer - Environment artist - Trigger happy - UT fan -

Comment

Originally posted by khxmz View Post
              So what you're saying is...
              ????
              Haha, a map like that would be insane and also fresh.

Comment

I'm not aware of any other game on the current market that currently does what I want.
                If Epic could implement those two actors the new UT would definitely stand out amongst this crowded market multiplayer shooters! I'd also believe it would draw new players in who would want to check it out...and hopefully stay a while.
                Unreal Old Friends
                My previous Unreal work

Comment

Originally posted by khxmz View Post
                  There actually was a map for 2k4 called DM-Escher with some really odd gravity-type stuff going on. I don't recall how it was done, but it was nowhere near as elegant as Lord Porksword's proposition. I think this idea of gravity actors is wonderful, and would be just the thing to give UT4 a fresh feel.

EDIT: here's a link to it:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal...MCE-Relativity
                  Last edited by jefe; 05-10-2014, 08:53 AM.
                  My Invasion Server|Forums|Youtube|Xfire|Downloads

Comment

This could allow for some fantastic maps, and could get really funky with some vehicle maps...

Comment

Oh man. This would be amazing if it worked. I don't know if this would work in the context of a normal UT4, but I would love a mod with this.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                        There actually was a map for 2k4 called DM-Escher with some really odd gravity-type stuff going on. I don't recall how it was done, but it was nowhere near as elegant as Lord Porksword's proposition. I think this idea of gravity actors is wonderful, and would be just the thing to give UT4 a fresh feel.

EDIT: here's a link to it:

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/unreal...MCE-Relativity
                        D@mn you jefe, you beat me to it!
                        I was just about to post that same map until I saw your post. It contains such actors afaIk, although it is for UT2004. Eventually one can "translate" that into Unreal Engine 4 and make those default actors.

And yes, I agree, if done right, it can be a nice experience.
                        S l y .

Comment

Im actually working on this now, its a bit tricky(as im not a strong vector math person) you have to override a bunch of the default functions inside of unreal, due to gravity being a hardcoded to float value of 980.
                          The way im doing it, and feel free to send comments on this, is to:
                          get character local rotation,
                          apply gravity/velocity based on the local rotation instead of the global xyz axis.
                          overwrite the walkable floor angles(so you could walk around a sphere or something.
                          overwrite performaircontrol, DoJump, Simulatemovement, PerformMovement, GetGravityZ, MaxJumpHeight, PhysFlying/Swimming/FallingWalking, MoveAlongFloor,MoveSmooth, and Stepup. to use the new GravityVector based on the Pawns local rotation.

Comment

Two words: Gravity Plates. (:

And instead of getting a map solely consists of gravity plates, I'd like to see maps that utilize Gravity Plates as a strategical option.

But who am I to say no to some crazy map designs... (:
                            Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

Rather than plates the gravity volumes would achieve the same effect but they could be used anywhere a volume can be used.

I could image a map with lifts that move around in a looped sequence amongst static platforms. Depending on your timing for jumping onto the lift you could end up on the top, right side up, or upside down, on the underside, of the lift in which case players above cannot see you coming until you're at their level.
                              Unreal Old Friends
                              My previous Unreal work

Comment

Working...
                              X