Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT99 Translocator - Please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    UT99 Translocator - Please

    If you could only take one thing from UT99, please let it be the translocator. The speed, size, trajectory, and unlimited throws are crucial to the core competitive play of CTF. The ability to make REALISTIC clutch telefrag flag save returns on the stand, the ability to telepunt across a map, the ability to fly swiftly through the air like you are a blissful eagle... this is CRUCIAL to a successful competitive CTF gametype. The UT99 tele was one of the best WEAPONS in the game (not just a tool like in UT2004).

    However, some newbs might think a trans limit is necessary, so they should certainly have the OPTION to turn ON a limit on their server.

    Good video to get the point across on the tele:

    Last edited by sLY1838; 08-07-2014, 09:15 PM.

    #2
    I agree, the freedom and action that the Translocator gave in the original UT was great (and I really liked how one could push it with the Impact Hammer) but it should definitely be optional for those who prefer a limit.

    But then again, it might take a while until we get to see CTF, the base game shall have DM if I understood this correctly.
    S l y .

    Comment


      #3
      It drives me nuts to watch a competitive game where there's more translocating than shooting. Much less play such a game.
      Which is too bad, because I love the idea of the translocator, if not the implementation. (I don't care for a limit... The limits that were imposed didn't help matters.)

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Sly. View Post
        I agree, the freedom and action that the Translocator gave in the original UT was great (and I really liked how one could push it with the Impact Hammer) but it should definitely be optional for those who prefer a limit.

        But then again, it might take a while until we get to see CTF, the base game shall have DM if I understood this correctly.
        Sweet name bro

        Comment


          #5
          The video is kinda funny, but i pretty much agree. The UT3 translocator was a disgrace, UT3 was pretty much just a Death match game. UT2K translocator was ridiculous, but worked in its floating balloon kinda way that fit with the rest of the floating balloon feel of the game itself. To bad telefragging in UT2K is next to impossible due to the random registration of it and the disc bouncing off people from all side but the front as if they were trying to swallow the disc. The arc itself made sure it could never really be used as a weapon, not to the extent of good players in the original game, where some of us gets multiple saves a map with that thing.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
            It drives me nuts to watch a competitive game where there's more translocating than shooting. Much less play such a game.
            Which is too bad, because I love the idea of the translocator, if not the implementation. (I don't care for a limit... The limits that were imposed didn't help matters.)
            Then the original version of the translocator is better suited for you, since it can be used as a weapon to actually kill people and usable enough to rely on more than just random luck. CTF players are bound to be using the fastest way to travel to the action what ever version of the weapon is used, therefore it does not matter if it has charges or not in that fashion. If anything it just makes it even more boring to watch, since it just turns into a transportation device, might as well make it a flying skateboard. The quicker the translocator is, the quicker people are back into fighting mode, like in the original game. The smoother and more predictable the arc is, the more it turns into a legitimate weapon in the right hands when seconds matters.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by sLY1838 View Post
              Sweet name bro
              I can say the same about your name.
              Slightly OT: Your name is familiar to me, you are pretty known in the UT CTF scene, aren't you? I believe I saw some frag videos with you.
              Originally posted by minteK View Post
              Then the original version of the translocator is better suited for you, since it can be used as a weapon to actually kill people and usable enough to rely on more than just random luck. CTF players are bound to be using the fastest way to travel to the action what ever version of the weapon is used, therefore it does not matter if it has charges or not in that fashion. If anything it just makes it even more boring to watch, since it just turns into a transportation device, might as well make it a flying skateboard. The quicker the translocator is, the quicker people are back into fighting mode, like in the original game. The smoother and more predictable the arc is, the more it turns into a legitimate weapon in the right hands when seconds matters.
              Oh yes, telefragging was much easier with the traditional translocator. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the disc-scale, movement or hit detection, but it was VERY satisfying to return the flag with a telefrag while teleporting to the enemy base!
              S l y .

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                I can say the same about your name.
                Slightly OT: Your name is familiar to me, you are pretty known in the UT CTF scene, aren't you? I believe I saw some frag videos with you.

                Oh yes, telefragging was much easier with the traditional translocator. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the disc-scale, movement or hit detection, but it was VERY satisfying to return the flag with a telefrag while teleporting to the enemy base!
                Yeah, I played competitively in UT99, 2k3, and 2k4 CTF. UT99 for 14 years, 2k3 for 6 months, and 2k4 for 6 months. I'm active on Pro Unreal and MLUT leagues.

                Comment


                  #9
                  While I'd like to see new reiterations of all the weapons in UT4 to keep it fresh, the ut99 trans is the one thing I'd like to see remain intact. The fluidity and dynamic gameplay associated with it make it a staple to the CTF mod.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I can really get behind the return of the original Translocator .

                    It played an enormous part of the strategy in competitive CTF. It had practical application for offence, defence and support.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I agree,bring back the UT99 Translocator! it was one of the best weapons in the game.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        xlock is must and dont forget the boots

                        Comment


                          #13

                          hope u like this

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I agree with this. CTF hasn't felt fun since UT99 and the way the translocator has been handled in the sequels is to blame for that. So much depends on the TL in CTF, the way maps are designed, the tempo of matches, team strategy etc. The fact that you have a chance to catch up to an enemy flag carrier, even if you get killed and spawn far away, is what made CTF such a fun and dynamic game mode.

                            It's really important to get the TL design right, this time around.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by sLY1838 View Post
                              If you could only take one thing from UT99, please let it be the translocator. The speed, size, trajectory, and unlimited throws are crucial to the core competitive play of CTF. The ability to make REALISTIC clutch telefrag flag save returns on the stand, the ability to telepunt across a map, the ability to fly swiftly through the air like you are a blissful eagle... this is CRUCIAL to a successful competitive CTF gametype. The UT99 tele was one of the best WEAPONS in the game (not just a tool like in UT2004).

                              However, some newbs might think a trans limit is necessary, so they should certainly have the OPTION to turn ON a limit on their server.

                              Good video to get the point across on the tele: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SVRl873pdE
                              I agree. UT99-style of translocators are the way to go. The 2kx translocators were just awful. And ye, it is just part of the CTF-game to be able to translocate all over the place. Btw... telepunting was not allowed in leagues.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X