X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterk View Post

Are you dumb?
    Really kid?
    No, just talking from what I've experienced.

the translocator is the key to get you right into the action as fast as possible.
    Cause translocating across the battlefield is getting into the action right?

You tend to forget that once somebody picks up the flag that player can no longer use the translocator.
    No I don't. I said they find other exploits with physics to get back to home base, but at least using the impact hammer is a calculated risk. You move around fast at the cost of health. It's more balanced.
    3D Artist looking for work.

Comment

what is wrong with the ut3 translocator aside from the trans limit? it seems to fly a bit faster, but I don't think anyone is upset about that difference.

@CognizanCe in competitive play there would usually be someone positioned within sight of the flag, but there would also be 1 or 2 players positioned at choke-points leading to the flag. In practice, killing translocating players is common practice, but it's a trained skill that requires a trifecta of positioning/map knowledge/weapon skill. I don't know if new players would appreciate translocating, but it takes practice for new chess players to appreciate a game of chess too. I don't think there's any argument that a translocator shouldn't be included, and any form of the translocator will allow players to "bypass the battlefield" as you imagine it.
      Last edited by histortion; 05-11-2014, 07:09 PM.
      "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Originally posted by ZenMaster View Post
        I agree. UT99-style of translocators are the way to go. The 2kx translocators were just awful. And ye, it is just part of the CTF-game to be able to translocate all over the place. Btw... telepunting was not allowed in leagues.
        It was allowed in North American leagues: OGL, Teamplay.net, Proving Grounds and MLUT.

Comment

Originally posted by histortion View Post
          what is wrong with the ut3 translocator aside from the trans limit? it seems to fly a bit faster, but I don't think anyone is upset about that difference.
          The disc size was too big and the health point was at 1. So the slightest damage would kill it instantly. You also couldn't telepunt, shock boost, etc...

Was it better than the 2k4 tele? Absolutely. This video that I posted was made back in 2007 when they released UT3.

Comment

I started to play ctf first with ut2004. Played that since 2005 and still play it up until today. I had a few years breaks tough. As a former clanbase admin and active player i saw all the discussions and flames whenever a new UT hit the market with limited translocator. UT players always wanted to remove the limit, while others made arguments that the game shouldnt be changed so much and everyone should adapt. It happened again when Ut3 came out. Even tough the TL had more charges and was regenerating faster as the 2k4 TL it was still not unlimited. And ofc the debate was there again. 2k4 players mostly wanted to keep the limit, and arguing "learn to adapt noobs" while many from the ut ctf players didnt play ut3 ctf becouse of the limit. The result was quite clear, a split community with not many players and teams.

Even tough overall i like ut2k4 and ut3 more as UT ctf, the past mistakes shouldnt be repeated. TL must be unlimited this time and that should merge the playerbase again, once and for all.
            Best post thus far!

Comment

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
              No it isnt.
              It's a hilariously contrived attempt at propaganda.

they forgot to turn off the god code too for the flag carrier.
              health stays at 53 after 2 impact jumps.
              Of course this isn't a "REAL" video, it's a PRACTICAL "scripted" example. The point is that a translocator limit is ridiculous. As for the piston jumps, all of those moves can occur with 150 armor or shield belt from flag to flag.

Perhaps this clutch telefrag save in a competitive match will be a better example for you.

Last edited by sLY1838; 05-11-2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Some more competitive play demonstrating the UT99 tele. 3 Minute hat trick in a competitive orangepeel scrimmage.

Comment

the UT99 translocator was better in every conceivable way compared to the others

it's speed and usefulness are perfect in mods like CTF where the use of trans is a must

the design and style of the item is FAR superier to the more basic and frankly cartoon like successors, the UT trans is simple and well styled in every way

some mods like TDM don't use trans at a competitive level and are better off for it

just because we have trans, or unlimited trans doesn't mean it needs to be used

Comment

The purpose of this thread, is some people want the ut99 style translocator where there's no teleport limit.
                    I prefer the UT3 style translocator, where it has limited use.

I don't know if new players would appreciate translocating, but it takes practice for new chess players to appreciate a game of chess too.
                    Ches requires thought, strategy, and using your tools/pieces the best you can for various situations.
                    Including a translocator with unlimited ammo is like introducing a sling shot to chess, and players trying to sling shot their way to the other side of the board.

I don't think there's any argument that a translocator should be included.
                    That's never been the argument.

and any form of the translocator will allow players to "bypass the battlefield" as you imagine it.
                    No. The UT3 translocator was more balanced, and made "bypassing the field" harder to do so.

Originally posted by sLY1838 View Post
                    Perhaps this clutch telefrag save in a competitive match will be a better example for you.
                    This video further proves my point. There's a battle going on before reaching the flag, and the player just teleports past it.
                    Instead of using a weapon with limited ammo/resources, the player just keeps translocating.
                    What's so competitive about that?

Some more competitive play demonstrating the UT99 tele. 3 Minute hat trick in a competitive orangepeel scrimmage.

That video expands on what I've been saying.
                    All the skill of the combat of UT becomes nothing but translocating your way to the flag.
                    -And worst of all, as usual, there's ONE GUY who's better at doing that.
                    It takes away strategizing, teamwork and coordination and turns it into nothing but "I know a quick way to get to the base".

What's UT without the combat?
                    A translocator fest.

Comment

Of course this isn't a "REAL" video, it's a PRACTICAL "scripted" example.
                      It's NOT a PRACTICAL example.
                      IRL, there would be a TEAM guarding the flag, and chasing the flag carrier.
                      You've turned your entire argument right there into "I can't keep up with the flag carrier because the ut3 translocator requires resource management and it would be easier if it were just light weight and had unlimited ammo so I wouldn't have to worry about my teammates succeeding or failing roles they may be best assigned to".
                      It DETRACTS from the combat and the TEAMWORK, AS YOUR VIDEOS HAVE PROVEN.
                      Last edited by CognizanCe1; 05-11-2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

UT without a Translocator brings much more strategy to deathmatches; I don't mind if private servers use it as a mod, but I don't think Epic should make one for this version.

Comment

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
                          The purpose of this thread, is some people want the ut99 style translocator where there's no teleport limit.
                          I prefer the UT3 style translocator, where it has limited use.

Ches requires thought, strategy, and using your tools/pieces the best you can for various situations.
                          Including a translocator with unlimited ammo is like introducing a sling shot to chess, and players trying to sling shot their way to the other side of the board.

That's never been the argument.

No. The UT3 translocator was more balanced, and made "bypassing the field" harder to do so.

This video further proves my point. There's a battle going on before reaching the flag, and the player just teleports past it.
                          Instead of using a weapon with limited ammo/resources, the player just keeps translocating.
                          What's so competitive about that?

That video expands on what I've been saying.
                          All the skill of the combat of UT becomes nothing but translocating your way to the flag.
                          -And worst of all, as usual, there's ONE GUY who's better at doing that.
                          It takes away strategizing, teamwork and coordination and turns it into nothing but "I know a quick way to get to the base".

What's UT without the combat?
                          A translocator fest.
                          I really dont know why you are saying this.
                          Firstly, when you play offense in CTF, you cant just frag your way free to reach the flag. The objective for the flagrunner is getting the flag, NOT fragging galore (even though a bit of fragskill doesnt hurt).
                          Secondly, grabbing the flag is not a no brainer, even with unlimited throws. As mentioned before, one slight touch with the shock combo turns you into a pile of meat.
                          Thirdly, there is a long, long way back to the homebase with the enemy flag tagging you as target number 1 (oh the adrenaline rush). And with the flag, there is no teleporting.
                          In all the years I have played UT99CTF in leagues, I cannot remember one match that lacked combat. Some matches lacked maybe teamplay, but never combat.

Comment

Guys, calm down. Take a step back and try to reduce the amount of subjectiveness and angry font modifications.

The UT Translocator module has the property of being "puntable" - I suppose that's what makes it a lot more strategic and allows more variety in playing style. The downside is when people do nothing else than teleporting. The attempted fix for that in UT200x was to introduce a recharging limit of translocations. UT2004 BR even went as far as draining and effectively disabling the Translocator temporarily after launching the ball. UT3 went a step back again and increased the recharge rate to allow much more frequent translocating.

I'd say the UT3-style recharging is an acceptable trade-off between limiting Translocator usage and making it an efficient transportation device. And remember: iCTF works without the Translocator, while still requiring teamwork to win.
                            <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
                            <TNSe> nono
                            <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
                            <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
                            <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
                            <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

CognizanCe is the reason why the competitive community at ProUnreal hesitates to post anything in forums that are full of pub players.

The competitive community plays a certain way. They have played this way for 14 years. It would be like the NBA taking away the 3 point line or the amount of times you can dribble the ball. You just don't do it.

If you want a translocator limit, hopefully Epic will provide server admins the option to add one. However, the default setting should be no trans limit.

Comment

I have to go with the UT99 translocator. The translocator in UT99 made the game flow nicely and it was very useful in pugs. To be honest translocating is not easy if I am honest. Also I wish they can fix a few bugs that it had like hitting the door and getting stuck.
                                History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                                UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                                UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                                UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Working...
                                X