UT99 Translocator - Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a better idea.

How about you go play your overrated UT99 instead of trying to ruin this game? These forums were taken over by people who just want to see UT99 remade. K, you'll get your hundred or so constant UT99 players then this game will die having wasted the dev's time.

Comment

What point are you trying to make? They should not copy UT99's translocator but instead copy UT3's translocator?
      Signature removed, over allowed size

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyKong View Post
        What point are you trying to make? They should not copy UT99's translocator but instead copy UT3's translocator?
        Let's not forget that there is already a UT4 translocator that you can play with today. The question should be what should we change about the current implementation? Saying "we should copy this game or that" isn't really all that helpful. What specific property or behavior should be changed?
        BeyondUnreal Podcast
        r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

The current Version is basically the same as the one in UT3, making it a little bit faster doesn't really help. And beside that, everything doesn't need to be changed, if something is fine it should stay the way it is. Like the shock rifle. I guess that everybody is okay with it, so why should Epic Games change it? They changed the translocator once, now nobody uses it, I would say the best thing to do is to bring the old one back or at least make the new one good.
          Signature removed, over allowed size

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyKong View Post
            The current Version is basically the same as the one in UT3, making it a little bit faster doesn't really help. And beside that, everything doesn't need to be changed, if something is fine it should stay the way it is. Like the shock rifle. I guess that everybody is okay with it, so why should Epic Games change it? They changed the translocator once, now nobody uses it, I would say the best thing to do is to bring the old one back or at least make the new one good.
            The current TL is almost nothing like the UT3 one. It recharges faster, has more charges (almost to the point where the charges don't matter), has a different trajectory, different speed, telefragging detection is a little different, I could go on.

So again, if there is a specific property you want changed based on playing with the current tl, let's hear it.
            BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
              The current TL is almost nothing like the UT3 one. It recharges faster, has more charges (almost to the point where the charges don't matter), has a different trajectory, different speed, telefragging detection is a little different, I could go on.

So again, if there is a specific property you want changed based on playing with the current tl, let's hear it.
              Higher trajectory, lower speed, 1000 charges, recharge 1 per second, a cylindrical disk, 60 HP for the disk, refined/clean particle effect trail or no trail and a instead have a very visible/lit beacon.

Comment

Not just higher trajectory but goes farther with less speed. And yes, more hp on the disc and have a very clean thin trail. Perhaps something that has a distortion effect thru the air would be cool (think like heat rising from the ground when it makes the view through the air appear distorted).
                irc.globalgamers.net | #2k4ctf |#ut4pugs | #unrealtournament | Ownedwell.com | UT2004 Grail

Comment

This weekend they reduced the Translocator speed by about 17%. In terms of where you can get to nothing has changed. But you are certainly losing travel time. So for instance on Face it takes about 16 seconds for a flag run. You could translocate across the map in 8 seconds. So you had two opportunities to stop the carrier. Now it takes about 10 seconds to get across. So when they get to the flag base you'll probably be right at the entrance of the tower. It's also going to make a difference on using the TL during battles. Since it travels slower that's another split second they get to react to where you are moving to.

It doesn't appear to be a huge deal to me after testing in isolation, but we'll have to see next build. The great thing about the current CTF is how quick it is. Ever since Outside was released we've had a consistent group playing almost every day. I personally was not finding the travel time on the TL to be an issue, but that's in a pub setting. It will have to be faster than UT99. Flag carries can just get around faster, and we should accommodate weapon switch strategies. But will the slower TL speed affect the pace of the game? We'll see.
                  BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

They did adjust it further. It's about a 20% reduction in speed but they also reduced the refire rate and thus the time to translocate. It feels much better than before at the current values. It will be interesting to try next week.

What I noticed on Outside was that it used to take 6 throws to get from flag to flag, now it takes 5. So it's not a huge change but it is significant.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

To be specific the fire interval went from .35 to .25, and the recall interval went from .16 to .1. This is in line with what the values were in UT2004.
                      BeyondUnreal Podcast

Comment

I'm voting to bring it back the way it was in UT99. Don't change it, or at least provide an option for servers to toggle between it and another variation.

Comment

Just tried today's build, and I'm not a fan of the increased delay between translocating and being able to throw the next disk.

I can't think of any benefit of this change - its only effect seems to be making the TL feel unresponsive and laggy, almost like playing with 200 ping. I think it would be better with no delay before you can throw the next disk.

On the positive side, the enforced delay between throwing and translocating has been reduced, improving the precision of the weapon. However, with the relatively low trans limit now in place, I see no strong need for any enforced delay here either.

Comment

I wasn't a big fan of the TL in UT, I liked it okay but IMO that was one big improvement in 2kX. Unfortunately, with the values the way they are right now you might as well set the charges to a billion, increase the arc, shorten the distance a bit more and go back to UT values completely. It feels awful for me, it doesn't move fast enough by any stretch, it doesn't go far enough by any stretch, and even with charges you can do everything you could do with the UT TL that annoyed people.

I don't see how anyone could hit the charge limit. I can tl almost as fast as I want and still never run out of charges. They are pointless. The only thing keeping people from going completely insane with the TL right now is that the disc is so easy to destroy. IMO this is totally the wrong direction for the TL to go. It was overpowered before but much more fun to use.
                            HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                            BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I played the latest build quite a bit last night. I must admit that I have never played CTF more than a few times in any of the other UT games, but I LOVE ctf in UT4. I've been forced to play it because that's the only thing other players are really playing (besides FFA - which gets quite boring) so i suppose i had no choice but to give it a chance.

Anyway, I like the translocator in the newest build. I don't know where it SHOULD be because of my lack of EXP, but it seems far less OP, and I find myself able to track players a little easier. I'm still getting used to it from the previous build though, but once I do i'll probably love it even more.

The only annoying thing about it so far is its inconsistency in registering. If I translocate really fast, maybe 15% of my throws wont register. I'll teleport, but I will stay in the same spot I threw the disk at. This is more than likely a known issue though.

I just love ctf now. I can't imagine myself ever playing TDM seriously unless they change things, because TDM is really stale in comparison.

Comment

Played UT4 for the first time yesterday (with numb!) and I kind of like the current TL. I would definitly add a bit of speed and distance but I feel the current values give more opportunities for actual battles.

Bottomline CTF is fun right now(based on a 1.5 games experience)
                                Curve projectiles prototype: Thread Code

UTComp-CTF: @github

Comment

Working...
                                X